Oil consumption cut in half after 'solvent' flush?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just finished running an Auto-RX cleaning and am now on the rinse phase. The vehicle is a 97' Ford Ranger 2.3. When I bought the vehicle in August with 73K I asked the previous owner if it used any oil and he said "a little". I drove it home and changed the oil (Shell dino) and added Auto-RX. During the first 1000 miles I had to add oil twice (approx. 8 ounces each time). For the next 1500 miles I didn't have to add any oil. I may be wrong but I feel that the Auto-RX cleaned out the ringpack or rejuvinated the seals thus cutting the oil consumption. I'm a believer in Auto-RX.

PS: I'm using Supertech dino for the rinse phase.

Thanks Did you know that the Auto-Rx® product added to your crankcase, not only works slowly and safely to dissolve contaminants, it also does not disrupt the host oil chemistry. It does provide for a lower coefficient of friction, it improves oil film Auto-Rx® does a lot more than clean.

Auto-Rx® does this by capturing blow-by combustion by-product contaminants, so the ad packs don't get depleted by the contaminants.

Originally Posted By: Frank
Auto-Rx® does this by capturing blow-by combustion by-product contaminants, so the ad packs don't get depleted by the contaminants.

Interesting. How does it do this Frank ?

Originally Posted By: txrhino
Its kinda humorous reading through this thread and others on the forum. If anyone gets any good results from anything other than auto-rx, the results are questioned, this one has an agenda, had to be something else, etc..etc.. Not saying auto-rx doesn't clean an engine, but some of these folks seem to think it's a "be all, end all" product.

Yep !

We should make the 1841 book, "Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds", required reading for the members of this board.

Originally Posted By: va3ux
Originally Posted By: Frank

Interesting. How does it do this Frank ?

The lanolin in ARX contains esters of several fatty acids, which emulsify combustion byproducts, i.e. water and carbon etc., and the resulting colloid isolate, now rendered non reactive with oil blend add packs, is held in suspension in the oil for removal by the oil filter.

To say that the above process is not present when chemical solvents are added to motor oil, would be an extreme understatement, since the very presence of such solvents adversely affects motor oil additive packages.

Originally Posted By: txrhino
Its kinda humorous reading through this thread and others on the forum. If anyone gets any good results from anything other than auto-rx, the results are questioned, this one has an agenda, had to be something else, etc..etc.. Not saying auto-rx doesn't clean an engine, but some of these folks seem to think it's a "be all, end all" product.

Yep !

We should make the 1841 book, "Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds", required reading for the members of this board.

I really do NOT appreciate the inference, that I am a deluded person who just goes along with the crowd, and really I think you are projecting.

If there is a "madness of crowds thing" taking place, regarding this issue, such would have to apply to those of the uniformed majority who still insist upon using harmful solvents. I simply cannot imagine how, the "madness of crowds" could apply, to the far better informed minority of ARX users.

Lets face it. Solvent cleaners, of necessity in the past, had to suffice. The word is out. Theres is now far better chemistry to apply. ARX is extremely safe and highly effective, and harmful solvent cleaners have had their day.

The reply wasn't directed to you in the first place. You appear to be extraordinarily sensitive to the subject of this thread.

But, I do recommend that book. It's frequently recommended reading for people in the investment community. It's lessons can be applied to anything. Written in 1841 by Charles McKay; it's still in print today because there is a demand for it - and with good reason. It's intent is to demonstrate how people can abandon their ability to think and judge in an objective and rational manner, and instead "follow the crowd". This board has plenty of examples of that phenomenon. Our whole world has plenty examples of it.

Originally Posted By: Oilgal
The lanolin in ARX contains esters of several fatty acids, which emulsify combustion byproducts, i.e. water and carbon etc., and the resulting colloid isolate, now rendered non reactive with oil blend add packs, is held in suspension in the oil for removal by the oil filter.

Sounds reasonable. The lanolin esters used in waterless hand cleaners do an amazing job of emulsifying HC-based grime.

Quote:
To say that the above process is not present when chemical solvents are added to motor oil, would be an extreme understatement, since the very presence of such solvents adversely affects motor oil additive packages.

Now you've completely switched subjects again. Your final statement is out of context for this discussion. We're talking about an extremely short duration solvent application (5 minutes to an hour) where we are no longer concerned about capturing combustion products or worried about the longevity of additives; we're doing something else with that short interval. We aren't talking about the usual 50 to 200 hours of engine operation where ARX is designed to produce it's best results and where we want add packs to 'live' and do their job.

The reply wasn't directed to you in the first place. You appear to be extraordinarily sensitive to the subject of this thread.

It was clearly directed to those who are sold on ARX, and I am one of them. Am I "extraordinarily sensitive" to the subject of this thread? hmmmmm Are you once again, implying something, that I should not notice or speak of if I do?

But, I do recommend that book. It's frequently recommended reading for people in the investment community. It's lessons can be applied to anything. Written in 1841 by Charles McKay; it's still in print today because there is a demand for it - and with good reason. It's intent is to demonstrate how people can abandon their ability to think and judge in an objective and rational manner, and instead "follow the crowd".

I assure you that my ability, to make an objective judgment and think rationally, is not the least bit impaired.

That you again infer, that those who are impressed with ARX are just "following the crowd", really does cast your opening post in this thread in a whole new light IMO.

Originally Posted By: Oilgal

Sounds reasonable. The lanolin esters used in waterless hand cleaners do an amazing job of emulsifying HC-based grime.

Well there you go then. Have you ever tried to clean grease from your hands with solvents like Seafoam or Revive or MMO for that matter? Waterless hand cleaner would be my first choice for that too. Now don't accuse me again of changing the subject, but removing deposits from your engine, is similar enough, to make that a good analogy.

Oilgal said:
Quote:

Now you've completely switched subjects again. Your final statement is out of context for this discussion.

Nonsense. I will even say that is a ridiculous assertion.

va3ux,
Sounds like alot of waste is generated by this solvent flush protcol. Step 1 adding volitile organic compounds to the original host oil before dumping. Then fresh oil run for about 100 miles with another solvent added, and drained. Now we have almost 10 quarts of oil contaminated with volatile organic compounds needed to be recycled. In most cases I would think that this is a waste of oil reserves.

Quote:
You quoted the wrong person. I did not write that.

No, I quoted the correct person, just because the site said I responded to you, DOES NOT mean I quoted you.

Quote:
Have you ever tried to clean grease from your hands with solvents like Seafoam or Revive or MMO for that matter?

I've used kerosene to get grease off my hands, and it worked better than Gojo. The only thing was I needed Gojo to get the smell of kerosene out of my hands.

Originally Posted By: ConfederateTyrant
Quote:
You quoted the wrong person. I did not write that.

No, I quoted the correct person, just because the site said I responded to you, DOES NOT mean I quoted you.

LOL.gif
Why so upset? Are you "extraordinarily sensitive to the subject of this thread" or something?
55.gif
All kidding aside. It is my impression that sometimes people here don't actually read entire threads, or just skim read, and I wanted to avoid any confusion in case in future someone may read it in the archive.
Originally Posted By: ConfederateTyrant

Quote:
Have you ever tried to clean grease from your hands with solvents like Seafoam or Revive or MMO for that matter?

I've used kerosene to get grease off my hands, and it worked better than Gojo. The only thing was I needed Gojo to get the smell of kerosene out of my hands.

Maybe you just needed to wipe and reapply.

Auto-Rx is in the engine sludge removal business we do it right we do it safely.

With Auto-Rx you don't have to worry about stopping up an oil screen or pluging a piston port.

While Auto-Rx can't repair metal wear we can alter the effects

Money is to tight to mention. Folks buy what they need. Auto-Rx has a payback in lower operating costs less maintenance better MPG.

And A Guarantee second to none.

Mission Statement (no commercial)

I don,t want Auto-Rx to ever be confused with other products that claim to clean. Lots of new people visit "bitog' and they need information to make a decision.

Did you look at the video?

Yes I have seen the video. It 'is' interesting.

I think anyone, who actually bothers to read this thread, will see the difference between harmful solvents and ARX, and so I doubt 'mission statements' are necessary. I think they may even be counter productive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back