oil consumption affect oil life?

Status
Not open for further replies.
my sister has a 2002 vw jetta with a 2.0l 4. it consumes a lot of oil, which is supposedly due to the piston rings being installed wrong. my question is, if the car consumes a lot of oil, would this affect the life of the oil? if oil can enter the combustion chamber, wouldnt it make sense that gas/air from the combustion chamber can enter the lubrication system and drastically shorten the oil life? the amount it consumes varies, sometimes 1qt every 1k, sometimes .5qt. i want to do 6k oci with syntec but am reconsidering now

I have a Saturn, another oil burner. The problem with my car is the oil control rings. When they get dirty, they stop being effective. However, the rings that control compression are fine. So, what rings are you talking about? If you could do a compression check, then you would know. If you have good compression, then maybe it is also oil control rings. On my car the oil just gets burned off and goes out the exhaust. I use Mobil 1, since I was told it would help free the oil control rings and would help prevent the problem from getting worse. However, it does use a little more oil since it is more effective at getting past the oil control rings. It does not seem to affect contamination of my oil since the rings that contol combustion gases are good. Maybe some oils would tend to be consumed less on the VW. The experts here should be able to point you in the right direction. Good luck!
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by MONKEYMAN:
I have a Saturn, another oil burner. The problem with my car is the oil control rings. When they get dirty, they stop being effective.

Member Chris with a Saturn pulled his spark plugs per
Dragboats instructions and did 3 overnight piston soaks with Berryman's B-12 at a cost of 2 bucks and reduced consumption from 1 quart per 1k to 1 quart per 3k without resorting to heavy oil . He still uses 10w-30wt , Motorcraft in fact .

The VW's oil will be contaminated from blowby thinking nothing short of re-ringing it will help .

I've seen blowby without much oil consumption, blowby with oil consumption, and oil consumption with little blowby on various engines.

If the engine has little blowby and high oil consumption, first I'd check valve seals to see if they are the cause. Then investigate oil control piston rings. In the meantime, the oil consumption will refresh the oil and that can be factored into the oil change interval (meaning the oil won't need to be changed as frequently).

If the engine has high blowby, yes the oil change interval should be more frequent.

Engines with very high oil consumption may have problems with excessive carbon buildup, shortened life of O2 sensors, catalytic converters.

"Member Chris with a Saturn pulled his spark plugs per Dragboats instructions and did 3 overnight piston soaks with Berryman's B-12 at a cost of 2 bucks and reduced consumption from 1 quart per 1k to 1 quart per 3k without resorting to heavy oil ."
-------------------------------------------------------
Dragboat, we hardly knew ye!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back