Oil Consumption-2010 RAV4-V6

Hi-I am new to this board.. I have some oil questions. I apologize up-front for being so verbose. I purchased my wife's 2010 V6 Rav about 2 years ago. with about 65k miles. It was dealer serviced by the only previously owner.. Our oil change intervals have always been every 5,,000 miles. We run a TRD fully synthetic filter and we run Mobil-1 fully synthetic 5w-30 motor oil.. We live in the southeast so we do get climate temps ranging from low single digits in the winter to brutally hot and humid in the summer.

The RAV now has about 80,000 miles. My past few oil changes I've noticed that after about 3,500-4,000 miles we need to add a quarte of oil. I do not need to do this with my V-6 4Runner which runs the same oil but to be fair my job doesn't demand the same amount of driving that her's does so it gets driven much less during the week.

My question is "why the consumption?" It really bothers me when I see low oil levels on my dipstick. There are no leaks anywhere on the ground. Is this a Mobil-1 thing? Does it tend to burn off faster? Is say Penzoil Ultra Platinum a better choice? My mechanic is an old school Toyota/Honda guy that has been in business for years and has a great reputation here in town.. He concedes that fully synthetic motor oil is better pound for pound, but he DOESN'T believe in paying the extra $$$ for synthetic oil and synthetic filters. He says the answer might be to switch to 10-30 conventional and switch the oil change interval to every 3,000 miles with a cellulose filter. I don't know how I feel about that. He's Inspected the vehicle and can't find any leaks or evidence that car is burning oil.

Has anyone experienced this in a your V-6 RAV while using Mobil-1 5w-30 synthetic? If so, what did you do to fix the issue or is this just normal for pretty much any fully synthetic oil regardless of "brand" of oil? In another forum someone mentioned that the PVC Valve might be the culprit. Since she will be due for an oil change in the next few weeks, I will definitely have him check that, but if the PVC Valve ends up not being an issue then I'm not exactly sure what else to do. Finally, am I making a mountain out of a molehill? Is having to add a quarte every 3,500-4,000 miles "normal" on a 5,000 mile oil change interval? Thanks in advance, and again I'm sorry to be so "wordy".

It could be the PCV valve holding in too much pressure, making oil get forced by the rings.
It could be a leak that's dripping onto the exhaust and burning up, or only leaking when you're going down the road and not leaving any signs of a leak.
It could just be worn rings or valve seals.

I've got an '02 Ford that burns a quart every 5k miles. New PCV valve, only 130k miles. No smoking, no signs of a leak. I'm going to stop using brand name stuff and go with Supertech next time because I don't want to be adding expensive oil to it every 2500 miles.

People do sometimes report that a certain oil stops consumption whereas others did not help, but I think that's very rare and frankly hard to believe.

And yes some manufacturers have convinced the public that this type of usage, and even more, is "normal". We know better regardless of how common it might be. Maybe it is "normal"... for a poorly designed engine.

Yea, I'm thinking it's probably more than an oil brand thing as well. It may be an oil "weight" issue but Toyota calls for 5w-30 and that's what we use. There's got to be a tangible explanation. It's just a matter of figuring it out. My guess is that it's going to be something mechanical. Thanks for responding.

90% chance it is something mechanical, but that being said your amount of consumption is not very high. Check your pcv, pull your spark plugs and see if they are telling you anything (assuming this is easy). Check the small stuff first.

Hi-I am new to this board.. I have some oil questions. I apologize up-front for being so verbose. I purchased my wife's 2010 V6 Rav about 2 years ago. with about 65k miles. It was dealer serviced by the only previously owner.. Our oil change intervals have always been every 5,,000 miles. We run a TRD fully synthetic filter and we run Mobil-1 fully synthetic 5w-30 motor oil.. We live in the southeast so we do get climate temps ranging from low single digits in the winter to brutally hot and humid in the summer.

The RAV now has about 80,000 miles. My past few oil changes I've noticed that after about 3,500-4,000 miles we need to add a quarte of oil. I do not need to do this with my V-6 4Runner which runs the same oil but to be fair my job doesn't demand the same amount of driving that her's does so it gets driven much less during the week.

My question is "why the consumption?" It really bothers me when I see low oil levels on my dipstick. There are no leaks anywhere on the ground. Is this a Mobil-1 thing? Does it tend to burn off faster? Is say Penzoil Ultra Platinum a better choice? My mechanic is an old school Toyota/Honda guy that has been in business for years and has a great reputation here in town.. He concedes that fully synthetic motor oil is better pound for pound, but he DOESN'T believe in paying the extra $$$ for synthetic oil and synthetic filters. He says the answer might be to switch to 10-30 conventional and switch the oil change interval to every 3,000 miles with a cellulose filter. I don't know how I feel about that. He's Inspected the vehicle and can't find any leaks or evidence that car is burning oil.

Has anyone experienced this in a your V-6 RAV while using Mobil-1 5w-30 synthetic? If so, what did you do to fix the issue or is this just normal for pretty much any fully synthetic oil regardless of "brand" of oil? In another forum someone mentioned that the PVC Valve might be the culprit. Since she will be due for an oil change in the next few weeks, I will definitely have him check that, but if the PVC Valve ends up not being an issue then I'm not exactly sure what else to do. Finally, am I making a mountain out of a molehill? Is having to add a quarte every 3,500-4,000 miles "normal" on a 5,000 mile oil change interval? Thanks in advance, and again I'm sorry to be so "wordy".
If you don't have oil leaks, then the engine is burning the oil. It could be coming from the PCV system due to a worn out PCV valve spring. It could be the result of worn or stuck oil control rings. It could be oil leaking through the valve guides and being burned.

so I would:

1. Keep using the same 5w-30 and replace the PCV valve and drive for 3000mi and see if the oil consumption has changed. If that doesn't work and consumption is the same, then you are down to valve guides or rings. Valve guides are an expensive repair to hire out, and not one I would want to tackle in the garage. I've done it, but I had the heads off the engine at the time for another job.

You can't really do much for stuck or worn oil rings. Sometimes the "italian" tune-up can rattle them loose but I'm not recommending it and if you do it whatever happens is on you.

2. Experiment with different oils. Try the M1 high mileage 5w or 10w 30. All the oil companies settled on 75k miles as the "high" mileage threshold. Lots of options for HM oil. Eventually you'll find the one that reduces consumption.

1st, the 4Runner engine is a different animal; my '15 doesn't use any, or just a trace, in 10,000 miles. I have read the same across many boards and the 4.0 doesn't generally use any.

For the Rav,

Agree with trying a different brand; this isn't the first time someone reported M1 burning off.

OR

You could go thicker; since the Rav can use a 40 grade overseas that might work.

OR

Simplest solution is keep running what you run and add a little now and then. You could also go a bit further since you're adding additives, so 7500 might work out.

A UOA will show the condition of the oil, so when you do the next change you mentioned, checking it one time should give you a good general indication of the oil's condition.

I maintain my daughter's '07 Rav 4 V6. Bought used, now has about 185k. Since our ownership I used Castrol Edge 5w-30 and never noticed any oil usage. Latest oil change was w/Mobil 1 EP 5w-30. (Plus 1.5 Qts. of EP High Mileage 5w-30 to make up the 6.4 Qt Oil/filter change.) Engine runs smoother w/the oil. Can't say about oil usage, if any, yet. I'll do 4 more OC's w/this oil. I'm not a fan of regular Mobil 1, but the Extended Protection I will continue to use. Give this oil a try. Bill. PS. You're getting due for a spark plug change.

Thanks for the heads up on the plugs. I used Castrol high mileage in a Nissan truck for years with no issues. It wasn't the synthetic though...Will look into edge

Google "toyota rav4 tsb oil consumption" and see if you qualify for a repair. "Some 2006 – 2011 model year vehicles equipped with the 2AZ-FE engine may exhibit engine oil consumption. Problems can be fixed under warranty after test. The piston assembly has been changed to minimize oil consumption." Quote copied from http://www.toyotaproblems.com/excessive-oil-consumption/ Unfortunately, I think you're out of warranty.

Also Google "Rav4 oil consumption forums" to read what others are experiencing.

Last edited:

Those wonderful new CAFE rings they are putting in those engines is my bet!

Last edited:
Google "toyota rav4 tsb oil consumption" and see if you qualify for a repair. "Some 2006 – 2011 model year vehicles equipped with the 2AZ-FE engine may exhibit engine oil consumption. The piston assembly has been changed to minimize oil consumption." Quote copied from http://www.toyotaproblems.com/excessive-oil-consumption/

OP has the 2GF-FE v6 which doesn't qualify under your linked reference.
Regarding OP's original statement of 1 quart consumed over an OCI, this condition is normal and will not impact the vehicle in any way.

Some cars consume more, some less, some none at all. OP happened to get one that consumes 1 qt per OCI. Nothing amazing, dazzling or dangerous here.

Last edited:
Given that synthetic oil doesn't cost much more than conventional and one synthetic filter costs about as much as two regular filters, I don't see the point, Maybe try a high mileage oil, You can get a couple jugs of 5w30 Mobil1 Extended Performance High mileage for $24 at walmart then get a $15 rebate, The consumption could be caused by a number of things that happen as an engine ages, sticky rings, sticky pcv valve, rotting/wearing valve stem seals, a high mileage oil might help if the latter is the problem.

Is there any water dripping from exhaust when engine is idling?
Also, I am not sure if the rubber hose on the VVT oil line is still rubber or has been replaced with the metal version?

Last edited:
My wife has a 2003 rav 4 175.000 miles, I change oil twice a year, 4 to 5,000 miles between changes, and it uses 1/4 to 1/2 a quart in that time.

Most of that was with 10w30 valvoline dino, but lately ive been running super tech synthetic 5w30, cheaper than dino valvoline.

I looked and this is a 6 quart capacity, no? IMO I'd probably not add any make up oil, not if I was doing a 5k OCI. If I was really worried, I'd add a half-quart at 2,500-3,000 miles and change the oil with it being a half quart low. As stated, this level of oil consumption is not a problem.

Could try a different oil. If I was doing 5k OCI's then I'd run the cheapest synthetic and call it a day. If I wanted to use Mobil 1 I'd stick with 10k OCI' and get my money's worth, although in this case it sounds like it will need 2 quarts of make up oil to go that distance--which is actually "great" as that means, every time you add some fresh oil, the additives are getting replenished and the TBN goes up.

1st, the 4Runner engine is a different animal; my '15 doesn't use any, or just a trace, in 10,000 miles. I have read the same across many boards and the 4.0 doesn't generally use any.

For the Rav,

Agree with trying a different brand; this isn't the first time someone reported M1 burning off.

OR

You could go thicker; since the Rav can use a 40 grade overseas that might work.

OR

Simplest solution is keep running what you run and add a little now and then. You could also go a bit further since you're adding additives, so 7500 might work out.

A UOA will show the condition of the oil, so when you do the next change you mentioned, checking it one time should give you a good general indication of the oil's condition.
Kuato-Just curious,, does your 2015 4Runner use a spin on canister filter or a cartridge insert? My 4Runner is a 2008. I've been using the Mobil 1 extended performance filter but I'm considering switching to either the Fram Ultra Synthetic or the Purolator Boss. Not sure about the Fram because I watched a video where the guy cut it open and the can had a bunch of rust inside of it...On the other hand the Purolator Boss looked pretty impressive and well built....so did the Fram with the exception of the rust.

Google "toyota rav4 tsb oil consumption" and see if you qualify for a repair. "Some 2006 – 2011 model year vehicles equipped with the 2AZ-FE engine may exhibit engine oil consumption. Problems can be fixed under warranty after test. The piston assembly has been changed to minimize oil consumption." Quote copied from http://www.toyotaproblems.com/excessive-oil-consumption/ Unfortunately, I think you're out of warranty.

I'll do it.

Given that synthetic oil doesn't cost much more than conventional and one synthetic filter costs about as much as two regular filters, I don't see the point, Maybe try a high mileage oil, You can get a couple jugs of 5w30 Mobil1 Extended Performance High mileage for $24 at walmart then get a $15 rebate, The consumption could be caused by a number of things that happen as an engine ages, sticky rings, sticky pcv valve, rotting/wearing valve stem seals, a high mileage oil might help if the latter is the problem.

Agree. It's not a ton of money to go synthetic. I'm willing to keep doing it but I do want to figure out the real issue. If it were the difference between buying a Carolla or the new 3.0 Liter Supra then yea, I'd only consider conventional.

Back