Oil color after 100 miles 05 Passat TDI

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
DO NOT USE THE WRONG OIL on VW Diesels. They need the correct vw spec oil because of the weird fuel injection, the wrong stuff will wear the cam shaft.

Rod

Wasn't that was mainly on the old PD (pumpe deuse, i.e. unit injectors) motors? The individual high pressure injectors were driven off the cam lobes and this caused excessive wear to that area. Actually a lot of people who are enthusiasts for the TDI VW's over on Fred's TDIClub forum dropped the VW spec oil and ran either Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W40 or Rotella T6 5W40 which were showing in repetitive oil analyses to yield lower metal wear than the VW spec oil. 505.01, that's the spec I couldn't remember in my post above. And if memory serves, I think 507.00 was eventually approved by VW for the PD engines. 507.00 was the spec for the 2006 and newer model TDI's at the time when they came out, which had a different injector and fuel pump setup. At about 60,000 miles on my 1st wife's Beetle TDI I switched it to Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W40 and eventually for lower cost switched it to Rotella T6 5W40. It had 105,000 miles on it when it was sold in 2012 and the motor was perfect except the intake needed a cleaning (another issue on the pumpe deuse motors due to EGR and oily soot). It was bought by an enthusiast on Fred's TDI Forum who was knowledgeable about that gen of TDI and ready to do the intake cleaning. Intake cleaning was a disassembly process involving complete removal of the intake manifold and immersion in solvent, if I remember right.

The OPs 05 Passat is actually a PD engine and requires the VW 505.01 oil. There are many people that ran them on Mobil TDT 5w40 or Rotella T6 5W40 both synthetic with success but that is at your own risk. I def wouldn't run a conventional 15w40 in that engine at all. They do have a spec for a reason, and having an engine with known problems makes it risky to just use anything off the shelf in it. Just mentioning it in case you didn't know. By now any stickers under the hood mentioning this have probably fallen off.

The OPs 05 Passat is actually a PD engine and requires the VW 505.01 oil. There are many people that ran them on Mobil TDT 5w40 or Rotella T6 5W40 both synthetic with success but that is at your own risk. I def wouldn't run a conventional 15w40 in that engine at all. They do have a spec for a reason, and having an engine with known problems makes it risky to just use anything off the shelf in it. Just mentioning it in case you didn't know. By now any stickers under the hood mentioning this have probably fallen off.

Thank you. Yes, I did much reading on oil for those VW and came to conclusion that Rotella is my safe bet. Widely available with great specs. And with 7500 intervals I think I'll be pretty safe. Possibly thinking about getting rid of EGR.

I want to justify myself why I asked that question. Dip stick on the left is my 01 Cummins with delvac 1300 and fleetguard filter after 1100 miles, 100 heavy towing. Right stick is new to me 05 Passat with 1200 miles, T6 with OEM VW filter.

Now you see?

IMG_20200524_131311.jpg

Last edited:
Cj4 does awesome in a pd engine which is what the op has. I have been running it for a while in my 04 bew. I would assume the ck4 would so equally as well. I have not done a uoa on ck4 in my 04 since I still have a stash of cj4. You are correct the flat tappet tdi engines are picky about oil for sure. Pd more so than Ve engines because of the cam design. And also agree. Black as night in about 30 seconds after an oil change.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ruSSrt
I want to justify myself why I asked that question. Dip stick on the left is my 01 Cummins with delvac 1300 and fleetguard filter after 1100 miles, 100 heavy towing. Right stick is new to me 05 Passat with 1200 miles, T6 with OEM VW filter.

Now you see?

My two cents.

EGR reduces combustion temps (reducing NOX). I suspect a by-product of this is that it also increases soot formation. " Soot is formed in fuel-rich, cool regions of the combustion chamber and impinges on the cylinder wall, where it is scraped into the engine oil sump by the piston rings." citation

Oil Capacity: 12Q vs 5Q

Last edited:
That's how it was from the 04 to the 04.5 Cummins with the third injection event. The 555 engines would stay clean for ages and the 620 in the 04.5 was pitch black as soon as it circulated the oil once.

Agree - EPA Tier III engines also retarded fuel injection timing to reduce peak flame temperature (NOx forms at high temp), plus injecting more fuel to make up for the loss of pressure / power. This resulted in higher fuel consumption and higher soot loading in the oil, all for the sake of reducing NOx in the exhaust only.

When EPA Tier IV emissions reductions went into effect, the injection timing was advanced back, HPCR Bosch fuel injection system was put on (multiple injections per power stroke), and SCR catalytic reactors installed in the exhaust to reduced the NOx back to N2 nitrogen.

So yes, those mid 2000's diesels are very very dirty (sooty) on the engine oil. Must use the right oil & OCI's.

Back