Oil Choice for new WRX!

Status
Not open for further replies.
25373_x800.jpg

I like your choices of PU or RL. Guys, PP should NOT be lumped in with PU. Maybe this too ... MOTUL Had been a Subaru rallye sponser

Originally Posted By: rg200amp
Originally Posted By: KHP
I'll vote for PU 5w30 API-SN. My WRX loves this stuff and it's a very stout oil. I've got a good UOA trend going on that I'm pretty confident that I can run this oil 7,500 miles and not lose sleep over it.

Checkout my UOA History:
KHP's 2011 WRX UOAs

I've read that RedLine oils depletes TBN pretty quickly so it may not last as long as PU in this particular application though it should be able to do 4,000 OCI's easy. Either way both are great oils. Though I would go for PU for value and protection.

If you can wait another 2-3 weeks I should have another 7,500 mile UOA coming up on PU 5w30 API-SN. 4,000 mile OCI's should be a cake walk for PU.

Have fun with your new ride!
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks!

Yea, the higher TBN and detergents in Ultra are what keep me considering it. I do a lot of start ups and shut downs during the day in between stop and go traffic. (Work)

So I want something that can handle that.

Also take into consideration PU's low NOACK number which is 6.6% for the GTL based SN formulation. It's a match made in heaven for our hot running turbo's.

Check out: PQIA Synthetic Shootout

Hmmmm. . . .

It's looking good. . .

I think may go with PU.

Might as well stock up now with the rebates going on.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Originally Posted By: randomhero439
To be perfectly honest. For track days i would use a conventional 20w-50 and a Purolator Classic. Change oil when you get to the track, and change it again before you leave. I dont think your WRX has a factory oil cooler like the STI does... am i correct?

This is what i do with my Accord, except i used 10w-40 (Car is specced for 5w-20)

I am a firm believer in choosing an oil grade based on driving conditions.

I appreciate the comment. But I am not putting anything in the engine except 5w30.

I would re-consider your stance here. randomhero439 brings a very good point about track days and the need for something thicker. Unless you install a pressure gauge and/or oil temp gauge, you have no way of knowing that 5w30 is up to the task of protecting that engine, so thicker oil, just for the track event is a safe choice.
Your argument about the warranty is also weak because I'm pretty sure that any track use will void the warranty much quicker than using thicker grade oil.

You guys are insane. I thought I was bad.

Lets get everything clear. This car is my daily driver. I have a case load of 15 people so I'm driving from one location to the next all day long.

I don't know what you guys are thinking I am going to be doing on the few days a year I go to an autocross track, but I assure you it is not going to warrant a 50 weight oil. I don't consider beating the snot out of your daily driver so badly on a track that it requires you to use a different oil a sound plan. I may be alone on that line of thinking.

Subaru calls for 5w30. You know? Subaru. The people in Japan that designed and built the engine.

I'm going to use the car like it is designed to be used. Fun, spirited driving.

Well you did ask for recommendations.

Personally, I agree with you. I don't think you need to over think it. PU and some UOAs sounds like a good plan to me.

I don't believe Autocross is going to stress the oil terribly and shouldn't heat it up to the point that a 2 grade jump in viscosity is required.

You guys are insane. I thought I was bad.

I don't know what you guys are thinking I am going to be doing on the few days a year I go to an autocross track, but I assure you it is not going to warrant a 50 weight oil. I don't consider beating the snot out of your daily driver so badly on a track that it requires you to use a different oil a sound plan. I may be alone on that line of thinking.

Subaru calls for 5w30. You know? Subaru. The people in Japan that designed and built the engine.

Well, autocross is a bit different than a full track day event, don't you think? You did say track day and my comments were about that. If you are only planning to take it to one of those parking lot events, where you hardly get into the third gear, then yes you don't need to worry about oil. But a full day at the track, when the car is pushed to its limits with very high top speed, you can bet that without a proper oil cooler the oil temp will be very high. How high? It's anybody’s guess without a proper temp gauge.

Regarding your comment about using the car as it was designed to be used, just call Subaru and tell them about your planned track day events. You will quickly learn that once you do that you're on your own. Plenty of Nissan GTR owners found out the hard way.

I appreciate the comment. But I am not putting anything in the engine except 5w30.

Lets get everything clear. This car is my daily driver. I have a case load of 15 people so I'm driving from one location to the next all day long.

Well, the 5w-30 factory recommendation is a evolution from a multi-grade/multi-temp recommendation in previous years of subaru cars that have the exact same engine as you have. I guess it is a KISS approach, since most folks are not to be trusted to keep the right oil for the right conditions. Are you going to cook your engine with a 3750 oci and 5w30, not with Spirited driving. Do you get a better shear protection with a Xw-40, yep.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_EJ_engine#EJ255

Originally Posted By: 05LGTLtd
Well, the 5w-30 factory recommendation is a evolution from a multi-grade/multi-temp recommendation in previous years of subaru cars that have the exact same engine as you have. I guess it is a KISS approach, since most folks are not to be trusted to keep the right oil for the right conditions. Are you going to cook your engine with a 3750 oci and 5w30, not with Spirited driving. Do you get a better shear protection with a Xw-40, yep.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_EJ_engine#EJ255

This is exactly why I did multiple UOA's on my WRX. Both Mobil 1 EP (SM & SN) oils I have used sheared out of spec in this particular engine. So I decided to give another manufacturer a shot. I hit the jackpot with PU SN. I ran the oil for my prefered OCI, got my UOA done and the rest is history. PU viscosity barely budged and it still looks like it has room to go farther.

So now I have an oil that meets Subaru warranty specs and can sleep well at night knowing my 5w30 oil will not turn into 5w20 grade oil.
happy2.gif

Last edited:
If your doing the OCI yourself check out these filters:

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/tokyo-roki-oil-filters-and-crush-washers-6-pack.html

Enjoy your new WRX!

Geez... Do those have anti-drain back and the correct bypass spec for Subaru's as well? The Subaru factory oil filter were Tokyo Roki. SOA uses blue Honeywell/Fram. Granted I haven't had any issues with the blue cans.

It would be nice to be able to use the Japanese made Tokyo Roki's again. I think they are the best made filters I have seen yet. In retrospect I just bought four P1 BOGO at Pepboys. So I'll have to use those first.
frown.gif

Last edited:

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/tokyo-roki-oil-filters-and-crush-washers-6-pack.html

Enjoy your new WRX!

Geez... Do those have anti-drain back and the correct bypass spec for Subaru's as well? The Subaru factory oil filter were Tokyo Roki. SOA uses blue Honeywell/Fram. Granted I haven't had any issues with the blue cans.

It would be nice to be able to use the Japanese made Tokyo Roki's again. I think they are the best made filters I have seen yet. In retrospect I just bought four P1 BOGO at Pepboys. So I'll have to use those first.
frown.gif

Yes, bypass spec is good!

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/mazda-rx-8-tokyo-roki-oil-filter-2-5gt-147113.html

Ill be clear about this, i said a 50 grade oil for track usage, meaning road course, meaning Laguna Seca or Mid-Ohio, ect. For a car that is turbo charged and does not have an oil cooler, sounds like it needs a thick oil to me.

I recommend Redline 5w-30 for your general spirited driving. But if you dont wana pay the premium price for it, Mobil 1 0w-40 would be my next choice.

IMO Ultra is too thin for this spirited driving. Sure its a GREAT oil, one of the best. But its too thin.

Last edited:
All H4 Subies have a oil cooler. (water to oil)

The 2010 WRX manual states 10w-50 is fine down to 0* F, BTW. and 5w-40 is good for full range...

Last edited:

The 2010 WRX manual states 10w-50 is fine down to 0* F, BTW. and 5w-40 is good for full range...

08+ WRX do not come with a stock oil cooler. STI does. Actually outside of the US, the WRX still comes with an oil cooler.

Guess that makes it easier to get all the shrapnel out of your engine when you turbo goes south... ;-)

08+ WRX do not come with a stock oil cooler. STI does. Actually outside of the US, the WRX still comes with an oil cooler.

As stated, all turbo Subaru cars have an oil cooler. It's liquid to oil and is incorporated into the oil filter mounting.

Ed

Subaru of America are the idiots who are forcing this 5w30 recommendation on us. If you look at the owners manuals for these cars in Europe and Japan, they recommend 5w40/10w40 and 10w50 for severe service.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
To be perfectly honest. For track days i would use a conventional 20w-50 and a Purolator Classic. Change oil when you get to the track, and change it again before you leave. I dont think your WRX has a factory oil cooler like the STI does... am i correct?

This is what i do with my Accord, except i used 10w-40 (Car is specced for 5w-20)

I am a firm believer in choosing an oil grade based on driving conditions.

I would re-consider your stance here. randomhero439 brings a very good point about track days and the need for something thicker. Unless you install a pressure gauge and/or oil temp gauge, you have no way of knowing that 5w30 is up to the task of protecting that engine, so thicker oil, just for the track event is a safe choice.
Your argument about the warranty is also weak because I'm pretty sure that any track use will void the warranty much quicker than using thicker grade oil.

Subaru of America calls for 5W-30. They did not design and build the engine.
wink.gif

SoA got approval from Fuji Heavy Industries to allow 5W-30.

05LGTLtd - Other than mentioning that 5W-40 conventional may be used for replenishment, SoA dropped the recommendation of thicker viscosities during model year 2011.

-Dennis

Last edited:
Wally suffered a bad start of 2013 so they are getting rid of slow movers. I know this for a fact. PU will be hard to find. Shell makes great oil Shell has the worst sales group. IMHO
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Pennzoil Ultra if it's easy to find at your Walmarts, almost no Walmart near my place has it, the closest ones have it is about 45 minutes drive. Other than WM, Pep Boys near my home has it.

Enjoy your new WRX!

frown.gif

The old Tokyo Roki's for the EJ engines did not meet the proper bypass spec:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1559859

-Dennis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back