Oil Choice for new WRX!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's time once again to make a choice on the oil I plan to use. Car is 2013 Subaru WRX 2.5L Turbo.

Subaru calls for synthetic 5w30. So that leaves the options PLENTIFUL!

Some owners on WRX forums use and stand by Rotella T6. While I know that is a great oil, I want to stick with Subaru's spec.

SoOoOoOoOoOoOo . . . . .

In my eyes; there are only two options.

A) Redline 5w30. I have used this oil in the past with my Lincoln and I know it is an exceptional lube.

or

B) Pennzoil Ultra 5w30. Again, I know this oil is very good, cheaper in price, and EASY to find.

The nut in me wants to use Redline.

The nut in me usually gets his way. .
grin2.gif
grin2.gif

What say you? Any recommendations to check out. I have not been keeping up on oils since the VW had it's own spec and M1 0w40 was the pick.

2q8vcr7.jpg

Pennzoil Ultra if it's easy to find at your Walmarts, almost no Walmart near my place has it, the closest ones have it is about 45 minutes drive. Other than WM, Pep Boys near my home has it.

Originally Posted By: Ibrahim
What is your intended OCI? If you really wanna try something fancy, I say try Redline 0W-40!

Oil change interval is going to be 4000 miles.

I want to stick with a 5w30. But Redline's 5w30 is hard to beat. . .

Sexy ride! How do you plan on driving it? Will it see autocross or a road course?

If you plan on driving it hard, i would say Pennzoil Ultra would NOT cut it. For mild driving with occasional boosting, sure PU all the way. Where is the fun in occasional boosting? lolz

Redline 5w-30 would be my recommendation. Otherwise for hard M1 0w-40 would be the next choice. If it will see autocross then bump it to Redline 0w-40 or Rotella T6 5w-40.

Originally Posted By: randomhero439
Sexy ride! How do you plan on driving it? Will it see autocross or a road course?

If you plan on driving it hard, i would say Pennzoil Ultra would NOT cut it. For mild driving with occasional boosting, sure PU all the way. Where is the fun in occasional boosting? lolz

Redline 5w-30 would be my recommendation. Otherwise for hard M1 0w-40 would be the next choice. If it will see autocross then bump it to Redline 0w-40 or Rotella T6 5w-40.

Again, I want to stick with 5w30 since that is what Subaru calls for.

I do plan on having some fun track days, however I also do a bit of stop and go/traffic/start ups + shut downs.

So I need something that can handle it all.

Redline 5w30 is just the obvious choice it seems.

Yes i understand the 5w-30 bit (even though Redline 5w-30 is as thick as Mobil 1 0w-40). I agree with you on the Redline 5w-30, i was simply listing other options.

To be perfectly honest. For track days i would use a conventional 20w-50 and a Purolator Classic. Change oil when you get to the track, and change it again before you leave. I dont think your WRX has a factory oil cooler like the STI does... am i correct?

This is what i do with my Accord, except i used 10w-40 (Car is specced for 5w-20)

I am a firm believer in choosing an oil grade based on driving conditions.

Last edited:
I'll vote for PU 5w30 API-SN. My WRX loves this stuff and it's a very stout oil. I've got a good UOA trend going on that I'm pretty confident that I can run this oil 7,500 miles and not lose sleep over it.

Checkout my UOA History:
KHP's 2011 WRX UOAs

I've read that RedLine oils depletes TBN pretty quickly so it may not last as long as PU in this particular application. Redline should be able to do 4,000 OCI's easy. Either way both are great oils. Though I would go for PU for value and protection.

If you can wait another 2-3 weeks I should have another 7,500 mile UOA coming up on PU 5w30 API-SN. 4,000 mile OCI's should be a cake walk for PU.

Have fun with your new ride!
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
To be perfectly honest. For track days i would use a conventional 20w-50 and a Purolator Classic. Change oil when you get to the track, and change it again before you leave. I dont think your WRX has a factory oil cooler like the STI does... am i correct?

This is what i do with my Accord, except i used 10w-40 (Car is specced for 5w-20)

I appreciate the comment. But I am not putting anything in the engine except 5w30.

Originally Posted By: KHP
I'll vote for PU 5w30 API-SN. My WRX loves this stuff and it's a very stout oil. I've got a good UOA trend going on that I'm pretty confident that I can run this oil 7,500 miles and not lose sleep over it.

Checkout my UOA History:
KHP's 2011 WRX UOAs

I've read that RedLine oils depletes TBN pretty quickly so it may not last as long as PU in this particular application though it should be able to do 4,000 OCI's easy. Either way both are great oils. Though I would go for PU for value and protection.

If you can wait another 2-3 weeks I should have another 7,500 mile UOA coming up on PU 5w30 API-SN. 4,000 mile OCI's should be a cake walk for PU.

thumbsup2.gif

Thanks!

Yea, the higher TBN and detergents in Ultra are what keep me considering it. I do a lot of start ups and shut downs during the day in between stop and go traffic. (Work)

So I want something that can handle that.

Originally Posted By: rg200amp

Checkout my UOA History:
KHP's 2011 WRX UOAs

I've read that RedLine oils depletes TBN pretty quickly so it may not last as long as PU in this particular application though it should be able to do 4,000 OCI's easy. Either way both are great oils. Though I would go for PU for value and protection.

thumbsup2.gif

Thanks!

Yea, the higher TBN and detergents in Ultra are what keep me considering it. I do a lot of start ups and shut downs during the day in between stop and go traffic. (Work)

Also take into consideration PU's low NOACK number which is 6.6% for the GTL based SN formulation. It's a match made in heaven for our hot running turbo's.

Check out: PQIA Synthetic Shootout

Last edited:

Checkout my UOA History:
KHP's 2011 WRX UOAs

thumbsup2.gif

Thanks!

Also take into consideration PU's low NOACK number which is 6.6% for the GTL based SN formulation. It's a match made in heaven for our hot running turbo's.

Hmmmm. . . .

It's looking good. . .

I think may go with PU.

Checkout my UOA History:
KHP's 2011 WRX UOAs

thumbsup2.gif

Thanks!

Hmmmm. . . .

It's looking good. . .

I think may go with PU.

If you're concerned about warranty coverage, it's probably best to stick with PU since Red Line does not have API or ILSAC certification and SoA knows this. Although, I wouldn't hesitate to top off PU with some Rotella 5W-40 or PU 5W-40. Your owner's manual allows "5W-40 conventional" for replenishment and good luck finding that.

If you do have a problem from something that occurred at the track, SoA would likely claim it's abuse and not honor your warranty anyway.

If you can't find PU, and you're afraid to use a 40 grade, check out Amsoil XL 5W-30. It has an HTHS of 3.3 which is probably one of the highest you'll find in a GF5 oil.

-Dennis

Last edited:

I appreciate the comment. But I am not putting anything in the engine except 5w30.

I would re-consider your stance here. randomhero439 brings a very good point about track days and the need for something thicker. Unless you install a pressure gauge and/or oil temp gauge, you have no way of knowing that 5w30 is up to the task of protecting that engine, so thicker oil, just for the track event is a safe choice.
Your argument about the warranty is also weak because I'm pretty sure that any track use will void the warranty much quicker than using thicker grade oil.

For track days, Redline 5w30 would be fine.
For the street and autocross use, PU or M1 5w30 would be fine. The HTHS of both of these oils are a little low for my comfort for track day use. But if your car has an oil cooler, they would be fine.

GC, PU, PP are all good choices. Don't be afraid to run 10w-30 PU/PP in the summer. I don't see the cost for redline or Amsoil when dumping 4k. If you get a good deal on Synpower or Napa synthetic I wouldn't pass it up either.

Take a look at the Data on the PQIA: http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/Marchsyntheticsallfinal.html

Check your manual and see if subaru says 40grade is OK for summer. T6 and M1 0w40 have a lot of following for a reason. Search HT/HS and turbo Subaru and decide if 5w-30 is really where you want to be. I've been running PU 10w30 year round, just south of you btw. I'm going to run GC or 0/5w-40 after this OCI. Of course I've got 90k on my legacy. I ran Castrol GTX 5w30 for the first 45k, and never burned a drop or had problems.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back