Oil choice for 1JZGTE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm building a drift car with a Toyota 1JZ twin turbo engine. The engine is stock and has 50k miles. It's going to be used on the track and will see extended high rpms and sitting on the rev limiter. Also occasional street driving. Toyota specs 10w-30. Ambient temps in my area are 40-70 degrees year round. What would be a good choice?

Depends on what you're oil temperatures will be. Mobil 1 0W40 is a popular choice and has a tons of certifications and approvals. M1 5w30 has the Honda turbo spec if you want a 30 weight.

It's a tough call. Really depends on your mods and fuel of choice (race gas, wmi etc).

This particular toyota engine is not terribly tough on oil.

As an example my past evo 9 mr specd 10w30 and I used M1 10w30 gold cap for 20k miles tracking the car every weekend while running 28psi of boost. Never had an issue. I think your application is similar. If you plan on running pump gas I would stick with a 30w or a light 40w like M1 0w40.

If you begin running race gas or WMI or any other alternative fuel I would run Royal Purple XPR 10w40 for its ability to handle these fuels.

Amsoil and Redline are both great too and I have used both. Redline 5w30 too would be a good choice on pump gas.

Just too many variables. Hope this helps you? And not confuse you more.

Jeff

Last edited:
Running pump premium and staying stock with only intercooler and exhaust mods. I'm leaning towards M1 0w-40!

Originally Posted By: jake760
Running pump premium and staying stock with only intercooler and exhaust mods. I'm leaning towards M1 0w-40!

That should be fine. My other choices might be Castrol 0w30 or RL 5w30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back