Oil change tricks? How many changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldn't count how many. But I could tell you the easiest and hardest vehicles. Easiest '06 Scion tC. Unbelievably easy. Don't even have to jack it up. Hardest? Fiat 128 or Fiat X-19. Can you swear in Italian?

I've done about 3 oil changes in my life...

Have plenty of towels on hand, use a bag to remove the filter if its in a lame location.

Lessons learned the hard way.
Don't put used oil in oil plastic milk jugs.
They WILL leak.
I use windshield washer fluid jugs, empty oil jugs, anti-freeze jugs. Heavier plastic.

About 9-10 oil changes here. Couldn't do it until I had my own place.

I use a Fumoto valve and attach a 1' long tube to the nipple so the oil doesn't splash. I also jack up the passenger side a bit to get more oil out. I wear disposable plastic gloves to lessen the personal cleanup afterwards.

Sorry, I should have specified. On gas-powered turbo engines, I always disable the fuel supply/ignition/whatever and crank the engine to prime the oil passages. As far as large diesels go, I have never seen a turbo need replacement on the units I serviced. They build oil pressure surprisingly fast, and at 600 rpm the turbo is not under much of a load. A few of the large diesels I have serviced have the oil filters mounted sideways, making it impossible to prefill the filters.

I thought I'd also mention something here that will have the same effect as nails on a chalkboard. While serving a short stint at Wal-Mart, there was a guy that took a PowerStroke and prefilled the filter. Upon starting, he immediately jammed the accelerator to the floor, redlining it for 45 to 60 seconds before letting off the pedal and killing the ignition. I confronted him about it, and he told me that you have to get the oil pressure up as quickly as possible on diesels.
gr_eek2.gif

I then informed the manager (who knew nothing about cars), and she did nothing.
banghead.gif

I forgot one trick. Take an old loaf of bread wrapper (eat the bread first) and stick it over your arm on a messy oil filter removal. Then if oil runs out, and down your arm, the wrapper will keep your hand/arm fairly clean.

I also have a excel spreadsheet with each vehicles oil capacity, oil type, drain plug wrench size, and of course, filter (oil and air) numbers for each brand I use. Have blank columns to log in the date, mileage, and type of change made across from the corresponding brand of filter. I know its overkill to have a spreadsheet without any number formulas, but it works fairly well for me.

I also prefer the swivel grip (the handle swivels to the right or left) oil filter wrench with the metal band that tightens on the filter as you move the handle counterclockwise. The swivel grip is sometimes the only type of wrench that will work in hard to get at spots. Lisle isn't the only company that makes them.

quote:

Originally posted by ChromiumSteel:
I couldn't count how many. But I could tell you the easiest and hardest vehicles. Easiest '06 Scion tC. Unbelievably easy. Don't even have to jack it up. Hardest? Fiat 128 or Fiat X-19. Can you swear in Italian?

Scion tC, you must be a little guy if you can get under there.

I have a 50" chest and a 38" inch waist (lest you think I was a lard butt) and I can't even dream of getting under that car w/o ramps.

My easiest was the 6 cylinder Ford Fairmont and/or Mercury Zephyr. I could do the entire oil change from the top of the car. Kick the oil pan in place under the drain plug, reach down and loosen the drain plug. Let it drain. Re-install the drain plug.

Kick or slide the pan under the filter and change the filter.

Refill with clean oil.

Drive the car out and then retrieve the drain pan.
Back to your original topic.

I've probably done about 200 oil changes in my life starting in 1975. Still not tired of changing oil, but always hated doing grease jobs.

Tricks? Always drive trucks so you can easily crawl under to do the change. I can't imagine doing a change with ramps.

A Fumoto valve with nipple and hose attached helps cause you can drain the hot oil directly into an empty Gatorade gallon jug.

I find that an 'oversized' oil filter helps in removal cause I can get a better grip on the filter.

I put a little oil in a filter that's mounted horizontally (maybe 1/4 full), hold near horizontal; rotate to spread oil around media.
Tip filter to horizontal slowly to set if oil will spill out, if any does, it goes back in jug.
If not, I will add a bit more.
The oil in the filter will speed the build up of pressure in system by a second or two, and I sleep better.

You can still put oil in horizontally mounted filters(Fords, Audi's et. al.) just don't fill completely. Put in alittle at a time and let it soak into the media--this takes a few min. Then fill about 1/3-1/2 full. Before putting any oil in filter no matter how it is oriented on the engine, "de-bur" or burnish the threads, and top of the filter around threads of the filter with a rag or terry towel. You will be suprised how much metal fileings from machining come off along with other manufacturing gunk. This cleaning of the threads seems to help getting the filter to screw on quickly to lesson any spillage on horizontally mounted types. When draining the oil pan, after oil has stopped flowing out, hold a cardboard tube, or plastic pvc pipe over oil filler hole and blow air by mouth or compressor at low pressure to get more oil out of pan-run some clean oil through as a flush if you are anal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back