Oil Change Shops: Why

They will here and charge $20 labor.
As a business person what would you charge to change the oil on any vehicle using provided products?
You realize they are still responsible for the proper installation of the oil and filter. (Liability)
Do you bring your own hamburger to McDonalds?

they just follow whatever their cumpooter says. it probably says just 0w-20 and there is no conventional in that grade. heck there's hardly any conventional api sp oil at all.

I've looked at a 2015 European Prius 1.8L owners manual and it went from 0w-20 to 20w-50 and the 2020 goes from 0w-16 to 15w-40.

Man i wonder why they make the bearings just so darn sloppy in the same exact engine code that comes from the same factory but gets shipped to a different country.............. oh well guess we'll never figure out why o_O

As a business person what would you charge to change the oil on any vehicle using provided products?
You realize they are still responsible for the proper installation of the oil and filter. (Liability)

Yes but if something goes because the parts are bad, the shop sure as hell isn't responsible unless their work was to blame.

Just like using rotors that aren't mill balanced, the shop will install them for you to spec, but it's not their fault if you get pulsations.

It’s not just quick-lube shops making mistakes or up selling. Local Subaru dealer here routinely puts wrong oil viscosity grade in turbo motors.

Good counterpoint. I provide information straight from the owners manual, you provide slang. I'm convinced....headed to Jiffy Lube.
Please not Jiffy Lube. THEY would advertise Pennzoil but actually use some bulk Shell stuff. VIOC always honored coupons and has good oil

Please not Jiffy Lube. THEY would advertise Pennzoil but actually use some bulk Shell stuff. VIOC always honored coupons and has good oil
There is a difference between corp-owned and franchise Jiffy Lube locations.

One of the Jiffy Lubes by my office uses ServicePro for some of their oil changes.

You have to remember living in the stick here in NC, well we used to before we moved. Things are done differently than most places. I could get a check deposited that was for my wife, but now that we moved and in the "city" they won't do it even if she is with me unless we give them her drivers license. Some times living in a small town has its upsides.

Shell owns Pennzoil/Jiffy Lube.
You know, for sure, this is happening?
Insider Info? Care to cite a source?
Bet you can't.
Disinformation = not telling the truth.

You have to remember living in the stick here in NC, well we used to before we moved. Things are done differently than most places. I could get a check deposited that was for my wife, but now that we moved and in the "city" they won't do it even if she is with me unless we give them her drivers license. Some times living in a small town has its upsides.
Care to elaborate? Discuss the post?
NC is a beautiful state.

"As a business person what would you charge to change the oil on any vehicle using provided products?
Do you bring your own hamburger to McDonalds?"

I guess they " routinely " put the wrong oil in his car ?

Then phrase it that way. People should be careful with words because it makes it sounds like it's the case for all turbocharged cars they work on.

Also, there's always more to the story.

Back