Oil Change Shops: Why

Three times now I have been to major oil change businesses in the last 2 years to get a quick oil change and filter.

And 3 different managers have told me, and their staff, that my Prius with 1.8 engine requires ONLY synthetic. And all three times I tell them, "No just put in conventional...it's fine. This motor is the same as the 1.8 in the Corolla, which doesn't require synthetic."

A big marketing push, or are these people sold on what they are told?

GL

p.s. rarely do I ever have a store/oil stop change it. I usually do my own OC.

They're referring to whatever their database shows as 'required'. It's the same reason a doofus at the Ford dealership put 5W-20 in my sister-in-law's Ecoboost Mustang. They're going by what their computers say. Unfortunately, those databases are created by human beings, which leaves them subject to flawed data.

In those joints, it's all about the upsell.
I had some person in a VIOC tell me I NEEDED to run a HM oil in my old Taurus with over 200K on it.
Forget the fact that I managed to make it to 200K without it
I told her if she wanted to she could, as long as she was picking up the tab.
Quotas must be met, after all. Profit must be maximized, as well.

They're referring to whatever their database shows as 'required'. It's the same reason a doofus at the Ford dealership put 5W-20 in my sister-in-law's Ecoboost Mustang. They're going by what their computers say. Unfortunately, those databases are created by human beings, which leaves them subject to flawed data.
And why I will continue to do my own oil changes until I'm physically unable to. At that point I will find a shop I trust and watch the work get done. lol

Those Shops usually have no clue. I'm sure of one of us went into one of those Shops and poured a frankenbrew of 3-4 different viscosities and brands into our engines, that their staff would have to call in sick or go on stress leave the next day.

A few years ago the business case was to get $75 from each car that came in. So forget the $19.95 oil change, they want to upsell you one or a few extra things. Its probably more now. In NY they are not a licensed repair job so they are prevented from doing many things. They are a NYS inspection shop. So things they find during an inspection are a definite upsell.

Three times now I have been to major oil change businesses in the last 2 years to get a quick oil change and filter.

And 3 different managers have told me, and their staff, that my Prius with 1.8 engine requires ONLY synthetic. And all three times I tell them, "No just put in conventional...it's fine. This motor is the same as the 1.8 in the Corolla, which doesn't require synthetic."

GL

This is from Toyota's Own: Synthetic engine oil 0W20 required in 2010-2017 model year Prius models.
Now this may be because 0W20 is synthetic, also I don't know what year your Prius is. So the quick lube Mgr may have been right (surprise):eek:

GL

They call for 0W-20. The Corolla 1.8 is not the same, the Prius 1.8 is Atkinson cycle.

The 2011+ Corolla has also called for synthetic. Prior to that (09-11) you were given an option. The 2ZR-FE/FXE are very different than the 1ZZ's.

Last edited:
Only way to steer clear is do your own oil change. However you’ll never find a truly “conventional” oil these days unless you go with a straight 30. Nothing wrong with the synthetic the problem is paying a shop their prices. Not sure when Toyota went to full synthetic recommendation probably around the time they started using 0w20 but I remember Toyota running 5w30 in the past.

And 3 different managers have told me, and their staff, that my Prius with 1.8 engine requires ONLY synthetic. And all three times I tell them, "No just put in conventional...it's fine.
You might owe them an apology.

p 569 from your owner's manual:
Engine oil selection
“Toyota Genuine Motor Oil” is used in your Toyota vehicle. Use Toyota approved “Toyota Genuine Motor Oil” or equivalent to satisfy the following grade and viscosity.
Oil grade: ILSAC GF-5 multigrade engine oil
Recommended viscosity: SAE 0W-20
Show us a 0W-20 conventional oil available from aftermarket suppliers. Are you wondering what oil they really put in there now ?

What’s wrong with 5w20 in the ecoboost?

What’s wrong with 5w20 in the ecoboost?
MustangOil.JPG

I used to have good things to say about the Jiffy Lube I take my company Escape to. Not anymore.

ARI specifies 7500 mile OCI, which I don't have an issue with as most is highway with downtown Boston traffic mixed in.
I noticed the engine didn't sound "normal" to me about a month after going to JL this time. The valve train was distinctly louder.
The oil level was fine and it looked OK on the dip stick, but that can be skewed compared to the sump.

Given the noise, I decided to change the oil as I had time and scored 8 boxes of M1 HM 5W20 from Walmart for $1/qt.
Check out these pics. This oil has about 1600 miles on it. I called JL and complained, but they have record of it being changed and were of no help. I also let ARI know, but nothing will likely come of it. Sucks for the regular consumer who doesn't know better.

IMG_6775.JPG
IMG_6776.JPG

I used to have good things to say about the Jiffy Lube I take my company Escape to. Not anymore.

ARI specifies 7500 mile OCI, which I don't have an issue with as most is highway with downtown Boston traffic mixed in.
I noticed the engine didn't sound "normal" to me about a month after going to JL this time. The valve train was distinctly louder.
The oil level was fine and it looked OK on the dip stick, but that can be skewed compared to the sump.

Given the noise, I decided to change the oil as I had time and scored 8 boxes of M1 HM 5W20 from Walmart for $1/qt.
Check out these pics. This oil has about 1600 miles on it. I called JL and complained, but they have record of it being changed and were of no help. I also let ARI know, but nothing will likely come of it. Sucks for the regular consumer who doesn't know better.

View attachment 66881 View attachment 66897
I had an ARI vehicle one time. Would only change 3 of 4 tires because one tire has 1mm of wear left....we had other challenges too.

Back