Oil change recommendation for 3.3L GM engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had an 89 Buick Century with this engine. I traded at around 175K miles because of a great deal. I still see this car as a commuter frequently. Not smooth, but a great engine. I kept the car for 12 yrs. At 85K your just getting it broken in.

That was before Bitog, so I used Castrol 5W-30 GTX and AC Delco and was a compulsive 3-4K changer. Never used Havoline, but the 10W-30 is probably a great idea and sounds like a good program.

Keep going the same 3K route for as long as it works with her short miles habits. If you want to go to longer 5K intervals, jump to a Pennzoil or Castrol syn-blend. I think her vehicle engine takes the typical 4.5 quart capacity. Substitute one quart of syn-blend for one quart of synthetic (Castrol Syntec/Pennzoil Platinum) for an even stronger syn-blend (around 37%).

I used to do the 3K OCI's until this website! I don't see that you would have any issues with the longer interval changes.

You may want to consider using Lube Control at each oil change as well for long-term internals cleansing. If you are unsure as to the maintenance history, an ARX treatment could be useful.

Also, if you are using the PF-47 filter, you can also consider the larger sized PF-52 or the MC equivalent FL-402, depending on access.

5000 shouldn't be a problem. What does your owner manual say? My 3.3L Buick says 7500 miles with API SG, SH oils.

quote:

Originally posted by rg144:
5000 shouldn't be a problem. What does your owner manual say? My 3.3L Buick says 7500 miles with API SG, SH oils.

I'll check what the manual says when I go over to my gf's house

I've got a 1992 Buick Skylark with the same 3.3 engine. I've used 10W-30 Chevron Supreme in it for a couple years now, that engine gets great gas mileage on the highway, I've got 135000+ miles on it and I usually get 31-34 mpg on the highway. Too bad GM got rid of the 3.3 and put 3.1's in everything.

I'd stick with what you're doing. Both oils are getting good results for many here, and, for the price the AC filter is hard to beat. Considering the many short trips I'd probably also stick with the 3,000 mile oci's, as the cost of an oil change with that stuff is pretty cheap.

If this 3.3L has the same type of oil filter mount (left of crank pulley, front of engine over cradle rail) that my pre 3800 '86 Buick Century has then a PF52 will fit snuggly, but watch out for a bad engine or transaxle mount because it may bump the cradle rail if there is a lot of play. The series II 3800s that I have seen have the oil filter mounted behind (rear of) the oil pan so that should not to a problem if the oil filter is mounted like that.

I am running MC 5W-30 in it currently for the last 4k miles because of some lifter/valve train noise which happened with QS but not with MC. The previous owner bought the car new and sold it to me @ 80k when it was 14 years old. It had been driven to work 6-7 miles each way for 10 years or so in both the hot humid Ohio summers and cold damp Ohio winters. My pre 3800 has ran great and been very clean inside with Quaker State 5W or 10W-30 for most of its 143k miles changed out at 3-4k and/or 3 month intervals. Except for a bit of varnish on the aluminum valve covers and light sludge on the pushrods and sides of the rocker arms the engine was spotless. I would probably stick to a conservative 3-4 month no more than 4k mile since oil and filters are so cheap, mainly because the engine may not be getting up to full operating temperature and because it is cheap insurance. Havoline/Chevron are both good oils.

Make sure to change out the PCV valve, various vacuum hoses and change out the wires and plugs, using the currently recommended AC platinums plugs. These all gave me trouble on my car at about the same milage and age as your Olds.

It's for my gf's car which I bought for her

1993 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera S
3.3L V6 engine
85,540 miles

Driving style: She drives it pretty easy. Short trips mostly. She lives very close to work and goes to the store here and there everyday.

Weather: We live in So. California, so we never see any extreme hot/cold weather.

I bought the car with 78,000 miles. I've been doing 3,000 mi. OCIs using Havoline/Chevron 10w-30 dino oil and AC Delco oil filters.

Should I stick with the 3,000 mi. OCI or do you guys think it's safe to stretch the Havoline/Chevron dino to 5,000 mi.? I heard it's pretty good oil.

Any suggestions/comments will be appreciated
smile.gif

IBJanky - I bought the car with 78,000 miles. I've been doing 3,000 mi. OCIs using Havoline/Chevron 10w-30 dino oil and AC Delco oil filters.

You got it right!
burnout.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back