Oil change question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I got Corolla 1.8L with 260000 miles on it ('96). It goes throught a quart of oil every 1000 miles. So I wonder - should I bother draining oil or just replace a filter every 000 miles and keep adding new oil? I usually use synthetic 10W-30... ( now Valvoline from 2 for 1 sale )

Is it burning or leaking oil? Maybe an AutoRX treatment, some have had great success with it.

With replacing a quart every 1k, you probably can do 10k intervals safely.

If it were my car I would use a 15w40 oil in it and chances are oil consumption will stop. That is a thicker very robust oil. Very few times that a thicker oil didnt stop oil consumption, unless there was a very severe problem causing the car to smoke like a two stroke on a cold day. Dont be terrified of thicker oils, alot of people on here detest them but they do have thier merits and you are a perfect canidate for them. I wouldnt even be afraid of using something as thick as 20w50 in that car, with that milelage, it wont hurt a thing. Good Luck.

I used Shell 15W-40 once and the valvetrain noise on cold morning starts was unbearable! ( could have been the filter, but I am inclined to think oil ) And, I am in NJ - so it was not THAT cold -just around freezing. Since then I do not quite like the thicker oils so much...

BTW my oil consumption started about 160000 miles back, when the odometer was around 100000...

To Panzerman - I do not know if its burning or leaking, probably little bit of both. I do not see any stains under the car, but some parts of the engine are a little oily... When I start up I can smell the burning oil stink for a little bit but you can not see the smoke from the tailpipe...

To 97GTP - I have been doing 10000 OCI on synthetic for a while.

Last edited:
Some 1ZZ-FE engines burned oil while others did not. No amount of additives or high viscosity oil will resolve the oil consumption.

It's normal and there's nothing you can do it. Just keep adding oil. Obviously the oil consumption is not affecting the engine life.

I suggest you switch to Maxlife and let us know the change after that.
thumbsup2.gif

You're at 266k, congrats! Maybe check the PCV if you can't track down the oil loss. You're system for OCI must be working, I wouldn't change it unless the cost for syn/k is starting to add up. Give it an ARx treatment maybe if the oil loss continues after the PCV issue is resolved or put to rest.

A quart of synthetic oil every 1k miles? It would only take 8k miles to equal the approximate cost of one bottle of ARX!

I'd consider trying the ARX and seeing if you don't gain some oil control.

I had a '78 VW Rabbit that used a quart of oil every 800 miles. I would put in half a quart with every tank of gas. The oil never got dirty. I finally just changed the filter every 2-3K mi. This went on for years. Finally I got new valve stem seals and oil consumption dropped to "0" and I went back to a regular interval. Sold that car with 300K+ on the odometer and the original engine had never been apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back