Oil change question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only drive about 2-3k miles every 6 months. I use GTX High Mileage 5w30. Should I still change it at 6 months or can I go longer safely?

My car is a 2000 Toyota Camry LE with the 5SFE 2.2L. Known for sludge issues. But mine doesn't have sludge at all. I have 225k miles on the car now.

If your journeys are short then keep on with the six month schedule, but if your driving is mainly highway then two yearly is fine
smile.gif

Work is only 3 miles from home. So its 6 miles a day. Rarely any highway other than on the weekend I may try to drive it more. Is that considered short I guess?

Yeah, figured that. Since I moved to Abilene, everything is so close here compared to San Antonio, so I don't hardly drive any more.

Originally Posted By: Olas
2x3 miles/day is severe service in the extreme, 6 monthly is perfect for you.

Originally Posted By: G35_TX
Work is only 3 miles from home. So its 6 miles a day. Rarely any highway other than on the weekend I may try to drive it more. Is that considered short I guess?

Yeah, that would be short distance. I would stick to 6 month oil changes considering the engine and short distance. It would be good to get it on the highway for a good romp at least once a month.

Given the application I would go with either 6 months or 3,000 mi. Its not going to hurt if it takes 8 months to put on 3,000 mi or you put on 3500 mi in 6 months. Just go with the one that's easiest for you deal with. IE Multiples of 3,000 on the odometer or every June and December.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
Originally Posted By: G35_TX

Yeah, that would be short distance. I would stick to 6 month oil changes considering the engine and short distance. It would be good to get it on the highway for a good romp at least once a month.

I definitely do get it on the highway actually a few times a month up to 75 for a bit. Usually the weekends. Going with the car club here this Sunday for a hill country cruise, so it will get around 100 miles put on it.

I just changed the oil now again, and took a sample to send to BlackStone Labs. Let's see what they say for the engine. I'll post it here when I get it.

Originally Posted By: Gene K
Given the application I would go with either 6 months or 3,000 mi. Its not going to hurt if it takes 8 months to put on 3,000 mi or you put on 3500 mi in 6 months. Just go with the one that's easiest for you deal with. IE Multiples of 3,000 on the odometer or every June and December.

Since it's been 6 months, I just changed it today. I only had 1714 miles on this oil change.

I was thinking the Toyotas with sludge issues back then were the V 6`s not the 4 cylinders ?

Originally Posted By: Jimkobb
I was thinking the Toyotas with sludge issues back then were the V 6`s not the 4 cylinders ?

It was both models.

Originally Posted By: Atesz792
Ever consider riding a bicycle to work?

Definitely not since sometimes I have to go to our other location unexpected to do some work. Also if family emergency happens, I would rather have the car.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Branson304
With the short trips, I'd stick with what you are doing now.

Thanks everyone!

Here is the BlackStone Labs report I finally got back. Let me know what you guys think! The Camry has 225k on it and 16 years old.

camryblackstonereport.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back