oil change places prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad just had the oil changed on his 2015 Rav 4. 72.00 with coupon for full synthetic and filter. Like a good son I told him next time I'll do it for him.

He used to work at Toyota and get great deals on oil changes. He no longer works there. Simi retired.

Can't believe they charge that much.

Last edited by a moderator:
We get about $45 or so to do an oil change with dino oil. Figure napa oil costs me $3.49/qt x5 QTS. My cost $17.45. Add in another $3 per qt profit and your up to $32.45 just for 5 QTS. Now add in another $5 or more for a filter and your up to $37.45. Add in the disposal fee,taxes etc and I have not added any labor yet.

$72 does not sound out of line.

Last edited:
$30 of parts, $5 shop fee, $3 in tax is $38. $72-$38 is $34 left for labor.

$120 per hour labor, if it takes 15 minutes to change the oil then that's about right.

Originally Posted by Chris142
$72 does not sound out of line.

+1, esp if they threw in a tire rotation. Which we don't know since this is third-party information.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
How dare they charge for services, What is the world coming too??......

01.gif

True dat..
thumbsup2.gif

Lol. Just goes to show how long it's been since going somewhere to have an oil change.

yeah, dad tried the local VIOC for his last change, after his brother had some issues with the dealer, it was about $75 for a basic oil change with maxlife..($40 something for conventional...i think, they don't list their prices online....)

That's why at nearly 75 I'm still doing my own changes. I can do most changes for under $25 with full synthetic. My last change was about $23 see my sig line. I just have scratch my head a think wert der fawk.

Last edited:
Don't doubt it for synthetic. Removing the labor cost still is a $23 oil change for 5 qts when buying on a deal at a parts store...

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
That's why at nearly 75 I'm still doing my own changes. I can do most changes for under $25 with full synthetic. My last change was about $23 see my sig line. I just have scratch my head a think wert der fawk.

Yep. As long as I'm able I will do my own as well.

Local Valvoline Instant Oil Change is (assuming it only takes 5 quarts) approx $45 conventional, $70 syn blend Maxlife, $100 full synthetic. You certainly pay for convenience!

I work part time at a local single owner lube shop. For regular synthetic blend oil up to 5qts is $35 after taxes. Unless the car/truck takes a cartridge filter, then it could add between $3-$12 depending on which filter it uses. Full synthetic oil changes run $72 after taxes. Then we have the customers who pay even more for Amsoil or Royal Purple. One guy drives an F350 using 13qts of oil and pays for Amsoil every time. His oil change is always around the $120 mark and doesn't bat an eye paying for it.

L8R,
Matt

My son just bought a 2005 Ford Explorer in San Antonio. I told him to get the first oil change done at a Ford dealership so they can run the VIN through OASIS and also tell him if there were any outstanding recalls. They did their 28-point revenue generator, er...I mean safety inspection and also did a complimentary OBDII scan along with the service. Six quarts of Motorcraft oil and filter and a $2.78 shop rag fee came to a total of $38.50.

While i change my own oil 95% of the time.

I do get coupons from my infiniti dealership to do it for $35. its 5 quarts and the most common oil filter can out there for imports.

A few places in the still have $29.99 and $19.99 oil change signs up. Lately $50 seems to the norm for me.

Originally Posted by AnthemBassMan
One guy drives an F350 using 13qts of oil and pays for Amsoil every time.
His oil change is always around the $120 mark and doesn't bat an eye paying for it.

That's pretty darn fair!!!!

My daughter was home to visit and her '13 Corolla was due for an oil change. I didn't have a filter, so decided to try the Toyota dealer. TGMO 0w-20 and filter, as well as air filter, cabin filter, and tire pressures checked. I was impressed with the service and the price, about $50.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back