oil change places prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
72 bucks at a dealer seems more than reasonable to me. Don't buy a German car if that price bugs you.

Not German. Japanese or maybe Canadian

It's over $100 here for a synthetic change at Mr. Lube which would be $70 USD roughly and we get screwed on pricing so it's most likely out of line for south of the 49th

Last oil change I did was on my Challenger and the oil and filter cost me more than $72...and I had to crawl under the car to do it myself! I don't think they retired on your dad's oil change.

My truck takes 9 quarts (5.0 coyote) and our Edge 6 qts. I do both myself. $5 or so for a Wix (Wix XP in the truck) and synthetic oil. Never pay more than $3 per quart for oil. Car usually costs about $21, truck $32 about. Car is easy - did last oil change on new years day in the garage with 10 deg temp. Truck is a pain and takes longer and is much messier.

Lets factor in the time and frustration of......the drive to the dealer/autoparts store for the oil and filter, the oil change itself and the drive to go get rid of the oil.

$72 for a synthetic oil change is not bad at all and I would pay that day in and day out. Like someone above said - a German car service would give you heart palpitations.

Originally Posted by tomcat27
Oil changes are generally too cheap. They should cost more... do you know what a replacement engine costs?

Pricing is calculated against the next best alternative: the competitor down the street, or buying oil and the filter yourself and laying on your back, then disposing. Convenience of in and out and on with your day in 15 minutes carries value at the local drive thru place. Others value the exact brand and type and doing it "right" themselves, and then spending more time going and posting about the details on an online forum
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by pezzy669

$72 for a synthetic oil change is not bad at all and I would pay that day in and day out. Like someone above said - a German car service would give you heart palpitations.

+1
I bought a Mityvac and am going to start doing my own on my M-B all from the top side. The last trip to the dealership made me think twice about the pain factor you mention. 30 minutes of my time, mess, and disposal is worth way less than what I paid last time at the dealer, and I'm creeping out of my extended warranty period where I wanted to be in their good graces.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by Chris142
We get about $45 or so to do an oil change with dino oil. Figure napa oil costs me $3.49/qt x5 QTS. My cost $17.45. Add in another $3 per qt profit and your up to $32.45 just for 5 QTS. Now add in another $5 or more for a filter and your up to $37.45. Add in the disposal fee,taxes etc and I have not added any labor yet.

$72 does not sound out of line.

Surprised you get any takers. I would never pay $45 for a dino oil/filter change.You need to get better cost pricing.

Walmart Charges $19.88 for a conventional oil and filter change.

I have never asked what they charge if you bring your own oil and filter (or buy it there)

So lets say they charge $15 Mobil 1 5qts 26.68 Fram Ultra $9 Thats $50.

$50 for 10K+ miles is fair.

At my shop, the cheapie basic oil change is 35, my synthetic is 55-65 depending on capacity and filters. European cars are always more, usually 85-150 for audi vw, 95-125 for gas and non M BMW, 105-125 for gas/non AMG MB, 125-175 for Porsche. My Low SAPS diesel change is normally 145-175 depending on capacity. My diesel GL takes 9 quarts so its usually on the higher end with a good filter.

Originally Posted by ARB1977
My dad just had the oil changed on his 2015 Rav 4. 72.00 with coupon for full synthetic and filter. Like a good son I told him next time I'll do it for him.

He used to work at Toyota and get great deals on oil changes. He no longer works there. Simi retired.

Can't believe they charge that much.

not sure what you do for a living but to me, changing ones oil is quite a large saving of money. Think of it this way, I can change it myself for a savings of $30 each car and if I group a couple cars together, I can do 2 for $60 savings and get them done is about an hour. So $60 an hour tax free is really like working and making about $90 taxable. Its a no brainer. I look at all my tasks that way and pick the high value ones to do myself.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
That's why at nearly 75 I'm still doing my own changes. I can do most changes for under $25 with full synthetic. My last change was about $23 see my sig line. I just have scratch my head a think wert der fawk.

I am 71 and do the same. Get my oil at Costco when on sale and combine it with a rebate. Comes out pretty cheap. I still don't mind doing as much of my own maintenance as I can. Move much slower than years ago, but who is in a hurry.

$9.95 plus tax and recycle fee with coupon for VWB. When I can get MaxLife for $10 more I do it. I guess that includes tire rotation although I don't have them do it (because of tire replacement schedule). Seem to do an OK job.

Marketing of oil changes is all screwed up so they can get different price points. Blends are now called conventional and Walmart calls Magnetec semi-syn, so they can sell higher priced oil as synthetic.

This is AutoTire, which has different names around the country, and you need their card.

Last edited:
Occasionally I take a vehicle In for an oil change however I'm fortunate that I can do most of my vehicle maintenance. Because of BITOG and Rock Auto my oil changes are 12 dollars. If I owned a new vehicle I would use any free oil changes then do the rest myself. I must admit that I grew tired of crawling under my vehicles and removing the drain plug and oil filter. I bought an oil extractor from Harbor Freight. Holds around 4 gallons of used oil. Works great and had it for 7 years now. I also use it when I service my customers mowers.

Originally Posted by ernied
our monro place has vavoline conventionan $9.99 oil change and $39.95 for synpower.

Wow!
Is that oil-only @ 9.99, or does it include new filter?

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by ernied
our monro place has vavoline conventionan $9.99 oil change and $39.95 for synpower.

Wow!
Is that oil-only @ 9.99, or does it include new filter?

Everytime I've seen those specials here they require sign up for one of their credit cards.

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
I have never asked what they charge if you bring your own oil and filter (or buy it there)

So lets say they charge $15 Mobil 1 5qts 26.68 Fram Ultra $9 Thats $50.

I asked one of the guys on here who works at a WM TLE and he said he thought it was around $24 labor when someone supplies their own oil so not much of a deal when that's done. Supplying your own filter usually results in a $3 credit off the oil change price. Using their featured oil (using Pennzoil or Castrol) synthetic runs $50. Over the summer there was a rollback special going for $45 full syn. oil change using Castrol.

These threads are eye-rollers every time they come along. Folks, not everyone wants to change their own oil. Not everyone can change their own oil. The prices these places charge are not too high either because if they were, people wouldn't pay it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back