Oil Change Interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am currently driving a 2002 VW Passat 1.8t, 96,000 miles. Have been using 0w40 synthetic in it from day one, changing it at 5k intervals. So far, so good. I have been reading that I may be able to extend the interval to 7,500 miles with no problems. The engine uses no oil between changes and is driven daily about 32 miles to/from work with a 40% highway 60% city driving cycle. Am I risking too much to try this in an attempt to save a few bucks? Thanks for your input. By the way, I'm only using Mobil 1.

my old roomate has been doing just this on an 02 GTI with the same engine. He does more highway than you though. He has been ok with such use for over 60k miles now.

UOA is the only way to really determine. IIRC, these engines are prone to sludging, but we have not noticed it on his GTI.

JMH

I have a similar 1.8T engine in my '00 GTI. I've run M1 0w40 out to 6500 miles with no problems, according to a Blackstone UOA.

You have a smaller sump on your Passat. I suggest a baseline UOA at 5k miles, then go from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back