Oil change interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wondering how long I should go between oil changes in my 1998 Chevy 1500 with a 305CI vortec v8. I mainly use it to drive 12 miles each way to work, although it does see occasional hauling, towing, and heavy footed use. I'm using Rotella T5 synthetic blend 10W-30. I'm not looking to run as long as absolutely possible, just a nice safe interval. Thanks

I would look at the manufacture specified OCI, if a mixed use of severe, and normal driving conditions as you state occurs regular ( it looks like you use the vehicle mostly for a commute to work, seldom for anything else) I would follow the normal driving OCI. Using the Rotella T5 may extend your OCI beyond normal oil, however before I went past the manufacture recommendation I would look at a UOA. Also you are lucky to find the Rotella 10w-30

See if you can find a time-based interval that works for you, like every 6 months or 3 or 4 months works too.

I am very happy I found this Rotella, it is just what I've been looking for. I also use my truck for random trips and drives but mostly it is just driven to work. I was thinking 5,000 miles, does that sound good?

What does the owners manual recommend for normal service, also what is the severe service interval ?

5000 miles sounds like it would be within most factory recommendations, but I wouldn't go more than 6 months without changing, since the acids/impurities from your short drives might build up quickly.

With no owner's manual you can work from an oil analysis -- have it sampled by a lab to make sure it's still giving you the protection you want. I generally use Blackstone Labs. (www.blackstone-labs.com)

Once you've had it analyzed at the 5000 mile (or 6 month) mark, you'll know exactly where you stand.

With the type driving you do with the odd trip here and there 5000 seems like a good place to start. Seeing that the T5 is a synthetic blend 7500 in likely doable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back