Oil Change Interval Question - VW 2.0T

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know similar threads were posted a few months ago, but now that there are a few more of these engines in circulation, I was curious for your thoughts on VW's recommended oil change interval of 10K after the first two at 5k miles.

In short, assuming I do about 50/50 city/highway driving and use VW 502 00 spec oil, is it safe to stick with VW's recommended intervals, or do you think that given VW's experience with the hotter-running 1.8T I should be more conservative with the OCI? My dealer recommended a 5K interval, although I've never heard of a dealer who didn't want to sell twice as many oil changes, and to be fair he did admit that it was "my call" and that the 2.0T runs cooler than the 1.8T.

I don't want this to turn into a "Brand X vs. Brand Y" thread. I plan to use Mobil1 0w40 since a) that's what the dealer put in for the first change, b) it is VW 502 00 rated, and c) it is what I can find most easily in auto parts stores.

For the record, I previously owned a 1998 Passat with the 1.8T engine and didn't have the sludging issue in nearly 100k miles of ownership, using 5k OCI and conventional oil for the first 85k miles (my old dealer put in conventional, and my 1998 manual didn't mention VW 502 or synthetic).

On a side note, a lot of the articles on the BITOG homepage are very technical and beyond my comprehension of oil specs. Is there a "sticky" FAQ or summary that is good for the newbie in terms of explaining key oil terms, differences between oil specs, and why it is that all of a sudden manufacturers each have their own oil specs when for the past 3 decades the API ratings were the only advertised specs?

If you're using a 502.00 oil then I would stick with 5,000 mile intervals.

Officially VW in Europe has stated that 15,000 Km (approx. 9200 miles) drain intervals were recommended if using the new 504/507 in the 2.0T but to my knowledege these oils are not yet available in the US.

akuska,

You are worrying about too much.

Do (at a minimum) what is stated in the owner's manual. Keep ALL the reciepts. Make sure the reciept states that the oil meets required spec's, the vehicle's VIN & mileage is recorded and the proper date is shown.

If you want what's best, figure out the best OCI via used oil analysis. If the UOA tells you you can do more than 10k OCIs, stick with what's in the owner's manual. Otherwise, run the oil at the OCIs that the UOAs dictate.

I would agree with alchu. If you have any doubt about exceeding 10,000 mile OCI's, do an oil analysis regiment. This Mobil One 0w40 oil is a very very good product.

I run 25,000 mile OCI's with Mobil One Truck & Suv 5w40, aka Delvac One 5w40, but it is with a TDI application.

[ December 02, 2005, 02:10 AM: Message edited by: ruking77 ]

akuska,

I have an 06 GLI that I plan to use GC. GC meets VW502, VW503.01, and VW505. The VW503.01 spec is for long drain intervals, so if you plan on 10k mile oci's I would use a VW503.01 oil like GC.

And btw,
welcome.gif

If the manual calls for 5k OCI, do 5k OCIs. If the manual states 10k OCIs, do 5k OCIs!!!!. I am not sure the manual has exceptions for specific oils. If you want engine protection, the best thing to do is change the oil at the proper (sometimes shorter) OCI, regardless of the oil variation being used.

We all know the 1.8t was a sludgebucket, especially when OCIs were pushed. There is no need to push the envelope with the 2.0t. Just do at least what the manual states (and maintain proof) and be done with the quandary.

However, if the 2.0t still has the same spin-on filter used on the 1.8t & many other VWs, there is no reason not to use the larger diesel filter. It will increase oil volume (not sump capacity) about 1/2 to 3/4 quart. Any HO engine will benefit from more oil capacity.

In a nutshell, if it were my 2.0t, I would do 5k OCIs with the proper oil, and not loose any sleep.

As far as OCI is concerned I plan on going 3k miles before my first change and then going 5k miles between on the next two. At that point I should have 13k and will pull a UOA to determine if I can run 7.5k oci's.

basically, I'm saying do at most 10k OCIs, to maintain your warranty. Make sure you choose an oil that is VW/Audi approved for your vehicle.

if the UOA says you can do 10k OCIs or beyond, then do the 10k OCIs. Otherwise, do whatever the UOA dictates, be it 7.5k or 5k or whatever.

I would leave the factory fill in for the full 5000 miles. 3k shouldn't hurt, but all the other maintenance is on 5k intervals. You will end up doing an oil change, then 2 months later need to remember that the tires need rotating, etc…

If you ever need to lean on the drivetrain warranty, VW will laugh at you if you were supposed to be doing 5k OCIs, but you went 7.5k per lab analysis. Talk to anyone with a sludged 1.8t that lost an oil change receipt. The chance is not worth taking for the $30/year you'd save by pushing the OCI out 2.5k.

On the TDI, the oem recommendations are 5000 miles for the first OCI. The second one is at 10,000 miles for a second OCI of 5,000 miles. The third OCI (jumps) to 10,000 mile OCI's.

So as to not be confusing, the VW recommended OCI miles up till 100k (per VW technical data are:

5,10, 20,30,40,50,60,70,80,90,100K miles.

So in fact the warranty (4 years/50,000 miles) will be honored (in case of engine warranty work due to oil concerns) with the majority of 10,000 mile OCI's except for the first two. So indeed VW will do an oil analysis to get the "chemical" footprint for (in the orginal posters case) VW 502.00 oil. So they will most likely deny the warranty if other than 502.00 specification oil is used (in this example) REGARDLESS of the oci. ie 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10k intervals!!!!!!

Thanks. It seems there is a lack of consensus here.

For the record, the maintenance schedule specifies a 10k OCI. I am taking the car to the dealer at least through the 5/60 powertrain warranty, and he did put in Mobil1 0w40 (VW 502 spec) so I should be safe from a warranty perspective.

However, my main question deals with engine life and engine oil change intervals. Perhaps it's urban legend, but I've heard that detergents in engine oils need a little while to "break in" and that it actually isn't good to change oil more often than required. Therefore, if the book says change the oil every 10K I'm tempted to do so. However, if you think that I'm increasing risk of sludge then perhaps I won't. I didn't have sludge in the 1.8T using conventional oil and a 5k (per book) OCI. VW still recommends 5K on the 1.8T even with 502 oil. However, they also recommend 10k on the 2.0t.

For the record, this comes from VW's web site. Other than a nebulous message that changing "more frequently" may be necessary in severe driving conditions, it doesn't really say much.

http://tinylink.com/?hbh3FKEigE

Since I do a lot of stop-and-go, and it gets cold here in the winters, would a 7.5k OCI be warranted? Or, do you think a quality 502 00 spec oil would allow for a longer interval?

I would expect a VW 502.00 oil to be capable of at least going 7,5k miles, if not 10k miles -- as long as the oil generally reaches operating temperature each time the car is being driven.

I also checked Mobil1's web site. ExxonMobil claims Mobil1 0w40 also meets VW 503 01 as well as 502 00, so it appears it is an "extended drain" oil as well.

In any case, after reading through the comments, I'll probably go with something in the neighborhood of 7.5k-10k. The way my commute works, I tend to drive during rush hour in the mornings, and after rush hour in the afternoons. I tend to average about 26-27MPG in my car, which is EPA rated 24/32, so I have a definite mix of city/highway driving.

Any thoughts on the last question of my original post(i.e. good sites for "oil newbies")? I found a link to AE HAAS' articles, which are along the right lines, except that he doesn't get too much into why he likes 3-5k OCI's, or whether that applies to both synthetic and conventional.

http://63.240.161.99/motoroil/index.html

Any other good sites?

The 1.8T was only a sludger in the less than 4qt capacity Passat/A4(s) ... meaning the ones with the engine mounted longitudinally. The 1.8T in other models does not have this problem.

Pour a 502 spec oil in it. Change it at 5k. No issues on the warranty side or peace of mind side.

JKH

akuska
It is urban legend. You will not be doing your engine harm by changing the oil more frequently than required. The only thing it hurts is your pocketbook.

Reading between the lines, you are obviously not comfortable doing the 10k OCIs, and you are having the dealer service the vehicle. So split the difference and do an oil change yourself at 5k in between the 10k dealer services. If you want, get an oil analysis done. It will give you the data you need to increase your comfort level extending the OCIs.

How/where do you get an oil analysis done, and how costly is it?

I'm a bit reluctant about the 10k intervals, although I hear they are quite common in Europe where better oils are more readily available. Mobil1 is good oil (Group IV), and 503 01 as well as 502 00-rated, so I think I will go 7.5K as I indicated before. VW oil filters are difficult to locate and remove, since VW puts covers over and under the engine. Therefore, doing a change myself is rather inconvenient, and the dealer's $69 charge isn't too bad compared with other technicians (I don't trust the quick lube places either to have the right oil or to put it in right).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back