Oil Change Interval for Seldom Used Sedan

Hello all, apologies in advance if this is an already spoken of thread.

My mom drives her 2015 Lexus ES350 about 1,500 miles per year. We last changed the oil with Mobil 1 0W-20 Synthetic.

Is it okay to go two years between oil changes? I check the oil every time I see her and its been about 18 months right now since the last change but the oil is still somewhat golden. She drives the car for errands about 2-3 times a week (10-15 minute each way trips) and a long drive once a month (25 miles each way on the FWY).

Is it okay to go off color of the oil? As in if the oil color is still somewhat golden its good but if its really black and somewhat thicker would need a change faster.

Yes, it is okay to extend that time interval to two years, with those kind of miles driven and for as often as she drives the vehicle. Today's oils are very good indeed.

I and others here will recommend she take it, every month or three, for a longer drive -- say at highway speeds for at least a 1/2 hour or more. That way, the engine comes up to proper operating temperature and stays there for some time, vaporizing and or expelling any internal moisture that may have collected. I believe this even more the case during colder periods of the year, such as upper USA winters. Engines seldom come up to operating temps, or for too short a period, if only short drives are the norm.

I'm sure others will add their good and wise two-cents.

Last edited:
I've gone two years or more before I change the oil in my 88 E-150. As long as the oil gets up to operating temperature when it's driven it will be fine. As @oldhp mentioned, "25 mile one way trips should get the oil heat up plenty good." I'd let it go two years, then change the oil and filter.

Just curious, where are the oil changes being done, dealership. quick lube or a mechanic? The only thing that would concern me would be the oil filter going two years. More than likely she'll be ok but most owners manuals will tell you not to go over a year.

With the 25 mile one way trips the oil should heat up plenty good. You "should" be OK. Me, I would change it once a year. But that's me.
Somehow, I completely missed that ending bit. Kinda what I said. It's all good. :cool:

I honestly think so, that it's fine. BMW officially extended their interval to 2 years. I too have a lexus and I do things the old way--mfg. says 5,000, and since I use full synth which the car didn't come with, I go 6,500.

My wife's GM has a OLM and it too did not come with synth, but I just change it when it says to, sometimes only 4,100 miles or so. Sometimes more.

Just curious, where are the oil changes being done, dealership. quick lube or a mechanic? The only thing that would concern me would be the oil filter going two years. More than likely she'll be ok but most owners manuals will tell you not to go over a year.

Honda seems perfectly happy with an oil filter going two years, fwiw. And Honda filters are pretty ordinary.

We live in Southern California, so there are no winters and very little rain. If that matters.

I change my own oil in my Accord, but mom takes her Lexus to a mechanic she has used for like a decade (I doesn't think she trusts me). He uses Mobil 1.

Interestingly, my Accord got driven only about 2,500 miles a year during the same time period, but the oil was really dirty and dark when I changed the oil recently. Almost looked like it had dirt in it when I poured it out of the drain to the old jug. I used the Rotella Gas and Truck 0W-20 for the last change that they were giving away at the Pep Boys ... I also park my car outdoors vs she keeps her car garaged, so wondering if that makes any difference. We do similar type of driving (mostly local errands with 1-2 longer 30 min drives a month).

Do a once a year oil change , that way hopefully the mechanic will give moms car car a quick inspection etc.

Short trips result in fuel and water dilution of the oil.
i do not see why one would extend the time so long.
short trips are harder on a car and cars oil thna long trips (within reason)

I suppose it might work since you are in a dry area...

Back