Oil Change hot or cold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: wannafbody
Cold=thinner? wouldn't that mean a faster drain time?

Not true.

Drain your oil in the dead of winter. One time cold, one time hot.

You will see.

thumbsup2.gif

False. Obviously you know the numbers but are unaware how they are measured. Each number is at a specific temperature.

HOT. But not for speed. The reason oil should be at least warm and freshly circulated before a drain is not to speed it up. It is to have dirt and contaminants suspended in the body of the oil so that they drain out with the oil instead of leaving [censored] in the bottom of the oil pan. Your engine stays cleaner. Your new oil will have less old junk in it.

I always drain mine cold or slightly warm,its just easier that way.
On the other hand, if I had an easier vehicle to drain I might do it warm/hot as opposed to cold/warm.

come to think about it... I think I do it at whatever temp it happens to be at when I decide its time to change the oil, I don't think I purposely drain at one temp or another

Originally Posted By: daman
This was just posted a bit ago,always hot,,more dirty oil drains out that way.
thumbsup2.gif
That's the way I was taught also.

Always HOT! I get everything out and ready to go. Drive the car around the block a time or two until it is up to temp. Or, change it after I have driven someplace, then drive it right up on the ramps and immediately drain the oil. It would make sense that more junk has not settled out of the oil this way and gets drained out...

I wonder how much difference it makes? I know my truck has 2 large places that never drain. I haven't seen as much of the insides of my car engine, but I am sure it holds some that never drains. I have even seen figures on some engines where the total oil capacity is greater than what it takes for an oil change. Draining cold, it has had all the time to run down to the the pan as a hot change, plus the time to cool down. The cold oil will drag solids in the pan out too.

I think the worst thing would be the engine recently run to circulate oil to the top, but not enough to warm it up for a fast drain. Don't run a cold engine just long enough to get it up on a ramp.

Of course, the cartridge filter in my Ecotec allows oil changes flat on the floor. I never did need ramps with my truck.

In the past, I have been anal enough to drain hot and let set overnight. Considering how few engines wear out before the rest of the car falls apart, why worry?

This is why I always drain cold. If the oil is hot, it comes out of the drain plug like molasses.

(Note - This is a joke)

Originally Posted By: labman
In the past, I have been anal enough to drain hot and let set overnight. Considering how few engines wear out before the rest of the car falls apart, why worry?

Why else would we be here if we didn't worry about things like this?

I do my OC's hot. Oil flows more freely and you get more out of the engine.

I go for a drive up to Tim Hortons (12KM) to grab a coffee and bagel, then drive back and jack up the car. I then open my F-Valve and let it drain while I enjoy my bagel and some coffee.

13.gif

Originally Posted By: tonycarguy
Always cold or just slightly warm. My well-being is more important than the engine's
The ultimate sacriface!!!

Originally Posted By: SCV
I agree with riverrat: I prefer to drain mine hot and leave the drain plug out overnight.

Over night?? d amn i thought i was bad at a hour.
LOL.gif

The engine has only been run enough to drive the 50 feet from the garage to the shop, so it's slightly warmer than cold, but not by much. Pull it up on the lift, pull the drain plug, let it drain for as long as it takes to replace the filter, then put the plug in and fill it up.

On occasion I've put the car on the lift when I arrived home the night before and changed it the following day when the oil was (GASP!) room temperature. It even happened a time or two in the dead of winter (blasphemy on BITOG)!

Been doing it this way for many years on many engines with many miles and never had an oil related failure. I can do both vehicles in about 30 minutes if I don't hurry.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Been doing it this way for many years on many engines with many miles and never had an oil related failure. I can do both vehicles in about 30 minutes if I don't hurry.

Well you won't have a oil related failure chainging oil cold like you do but in your half hour of draining cool oil your not getting all of it out vs hot..always drain hot.

I do it hot only if I will have to drive or move the vehicle to change the oil. But, on my truck, I do it cold, because everything drains to the bottom overnight and I don't have to move my truck at all to change the oil. I fit under it easily.

Originally Posted By: Jaymus
because everything drains to the bottom overnight

That i could see working,,just would need to let it drain longer like an hour or two if you had the time..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back