Hot or Cold oil change?

Wow this thread is over a year old...but I change my 115hp and 9.8 outboard mercury engines cold at the end of every season. I just can't see where it I worth the hassle putting the muffs on the engines and letting them run in my driveway. I always fish too far from home and I don't want to change them at the lake parking lots. All my other vehicles I change the oil hot and believe that is the best way and I have been doing that for many years.

I like to do my oil and filter changes when the motor and oil are at least very warm. I use Fomoto drain valves with a tube going into the container I I let the oil go into. The filter? I've handled some hot filters, so I let them cool a bit more. Using the Fomoto valve, it drains a little slower but when the oil is very warm that turns into a non factor.

I've always done them cold because i don't fancy getting my arm or hand burnt touching a hot exhaust or oil.
And as we know, on BITOG the ultimate performance spec is : "It hasn't blown up yet"

And certainly i have never had an engine blow up yet from doing oil changes cold lol
+1 The ambient temps are hot here, I dont need more heat.

I have recently taken a break from getting oil analysis done on my cars, so during this time I've now been doing cold oil changes and I find it way more comfortable to do it this way. When taking a sample though, I think it's best to drain the oil hot, so once I begin doing UOAs again I'll go back to hot oil changes again. I honestly don't think it makes one bit of a difference either way, at least in terms of engine longevity.

I always did hot change outs. Burning max hot if possible. Did my first ever cold change this past week. Crummy outside and I didn't feel like pulling out the truck and getting the garage floor wet and potentially the truck salty. The 5-30 synthetic poured right out. Handling the drain plug and filter so much easier. Not one drop of old oil on my hands, floor or tools. Cold from now on for sure.

Back