Oil change Honda GCV160

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anybody tell me how to drain the oil from a Honda GCV160?

One more question,is it typical for these engines to be hard starting? I've had it for a couple years,and its always been hard to start. If I use it every week,it starts after about 10 pulls. If it isn't used over the winter it won't start without starting fluid and about 30 pulls.

I always use fuel stabilizer and won't use any gas more than a couple weeks old in it.

Any tips?

1) To change the oil, remove the threaded oil dipstick and tip the mower. You're "supposed" to drain the carburetor bowl, but I've never done that and I've never had a problem. Just tip it until most of the oil drains and then refill. If this is the first time you've changed it in a few years, it'll be BLACK BLACK BLACK.
smile.gif
This engine has an aluminum cylinder bore, so the first few oil changes for me were pretty silvery. I changed the oil in mine a few times last season (it was new last spring), and the oil stayed cleaner every time.

2) Mine was incredibly hard to start. I lived with it all season. What a pain. Then I go to looking at it, and discovered that when you slid the choke lever over, it was NOT engaging the choke blade...meaning the choke was hanging wide open. It would take me 6-10 pulls to get it to start! After I fixed the choke problem (by "tweaking" the choke tab a little bit), it starts on the first time, every time. I knew it shouldn't have been that hard to start it, because everyone else was raving about how easy that engine is to start.

Is yours on a Sears Craftsman mower? Mine is, and it'd be interesting if two different Craftsman mowers with the same engine had the same choke problems.

I've seen this on another Craftsman mower with a Honda engine. Was very hard to start. I didn't know about the choke problem.

The mower its on, is of all things a Fridgadaire(sp)I thought they only made kitchen appliances.
grin.gif

I could have sworn it had a drain plug,but I ended up tipping it over as described above. It was pretty dang Black,but there was nothing abnormal looking about the oil.

The choke was the first thing I checked when I ran into the starting issues,and all seems well there. Today I did a tune-up and went with a Champion plug one step hotter than the stock NGK. I used about a half a can of carb cleaner on the carb,and its looks better know. I also tried a fill of 92 octane fuel this time.

I pulled the cord once and it fired right up,I was AMAZED! I don't know what had the greatest effect on the ease of starting,I think it was the excess carb cleaner in the carb.

I'm going to try it again tommorow,hopefully it starts this easy from now on.

quote:

I pulled the cord once and it fired right up,I was AMAZED! I don't know what had the greatest effect on the ease of starting,I think it was the excess carb cleaner in the carb.

I bet it was the carb cleaner. The trick I used, before I realized the choke was the problem, was to remove the spark plug, dip it into the gas tank, and then reinstall it. It would usually fire on 1-2 pulls after that.

I would take another look at the choke. Make sure the blade is fully closing, etc. Does it have a remote choke control, or is it the ACRS, Automatic Choke Return System?

I bought it new about three years ago. I went from a Tecumseh with the primer bulb which didn't like to start either. I bought my new mower from Home Base when they were going out of business. I tried to get Honda involved after realizing it was a hard starter,but they said I had to have Home Base send it out for repair. Since Home Base was no longer,I was kinda screwed.The local dealer wouldn't touch it because it wasn't a "Honda" mower,just the engine was.

It really cuts well,it just takes an act of Congress to get it started.
grin.gif

I've had great luck with mine, save for a cheap (Craftsman) blade. After just one season, it's already dull. I'm thinking about putting a Ninja blade on it or something higher quality than a Sears blade.

Oh okay, my GCV160 isn't like that. It's got an automatic throttle, and a choke lever on the carb itself. You set the choke, start the engine, and the ACRS automatically and slowly releases the choke from that point on, and after a few seconds, the choke blade is open. Neat system!

My GXV140 engine has the remote choke/throttle control in one lever, apparently like your GCV160. When I bought my Craftsman (with the GCV160) I thought I was disappointed that it had an automatic throttle...I wanted to control it! But after buying this Honda Masters mower used, with the GXV140, I'm finding that it's sometimes hard to keep that cable in proper adjustment. The guy sold me the Masters mower because he kept having choke problems with it. Indeed, it's been hard for me to keep the choke in adjustment. It seems that the most I can ever get that choke closed, using the handlebar control, is about 95% of the way. If I reach down and manipulate the choke lever so it fully closes the choke blade, the mower starts right up. I bet the problem with your GCV160 is that the choke doesn't quite close all the way. In my experience with the GXV140, even if the choke is just cracked open, it might as well be fully open, because it's got to be closed tight to be effective.

Personally, I like the designs with the primer bulb. Just like carbureted vehicles had accelerator pumps in their carburetors, some small engines have a priming bulb to make sure there's gas in there to start the engine with. Although my GCV160 now starts very easily, it also has a simple automatic choke. The GXV140, with a choke cable that needs adjustment, it seems that a primer bulb would be a more reliable design. Granted, once the choke is adjusted properly, it should work everytime, but it's hard to get that thing in its sweet spot it seems.

Does your mower have any sort of warranty left? Has it acted this way since new? I didn't even know Frigidaire sold mowers, but it can't be that old because the GCV160 engine hasn't been around for that long...8 years at the outside I think. Did you buy that mower new?

After sitting all night it took 6 pulls to start it this afternoon. That a little more than half of what it normally takes. I think I can live with that.

I did the first (5 hour) oil change today on our near new Honda mower.
Really dark grey, looks like a lot of assembly lube (ZDDP/moly) as well as all the nice shimmery stuff you get in a new little engine.
Actually flushed it twice with D1/M1 10W-30 mix (ran 5-10 min) to get rid of all the garbage, now has straight M1 10W-30 in it.

BTW, this thing is easy to start first pull every time, although it is still pretty warm here.

quote:

Originally posted by tdi-rick:
I did the first (5 hour) oil change today on our near new Honda mower. Really dark grey, looks like a lot of assembly lube (ZDDP/moly) as well as all the nice shimmery stuff you get in a new little engine.

In addition, the GCV160 has an aluminum cylinder bore, with no steel liner. So I would expect an extra bit of "break in" material in the oil the first few times.

I have an 18 year old Honda HRA214 mower which runs fine but I've adjusted the choke-throttle linkage at least a hundred times over it's life. The trick is to get the throttle-choke wire just right to close the choke for starting and cutoff the fuel for shut down. Usually, the first start in the spring requires ether and plenty of rope pulls. This spring it started on the first pull. Couldn't beleive it, but then it wouldn't shut off. The trottle lever and choke lever arms are supposed to be adjusted to some gap at full choke but I just eyeball them. The throttle wire, or something, apparently vibrates loose enough to let things slip just out of adjustment. PITA but a good mower.

How many ounces of oil do you use? I ask because I'm getting mixed info from Honda and the manufacturer of my mower. The mower I got at northern tool came with the GCV160 and a 12 oz. bottle of oil. I took a look at Honda's website and they're saying 0.58 quarts = 18.56 ounces. I've had the engine since the start of 2010 and have religiously changed the oil with exactly 12 oz. and have had no problems. I'm really concerned because its a splash lube system and the level has to be precise for optimum functionality. I think I'll stay with the 12 oz. regimen for now. What are your thoughts?

Originally Posted By: Down_South
How many ounces of oil do you use? I ask because I'm getting mixed info from Honda and the manufacturer of my mower. The mower I got at northern tool came with the GCV160 and a 12 oz. bottle of oil. I took a look at Honda's website and they're saying 0.58 quarts = 18.56 ounces. I've had the engine since the start of 2010 and have religiously changed the oil with exactly 12 oz. and have had no problems. I'm really concerned because its a splash lube system and the level has to be precise for optimum functionality. I think I'll stay with the 12 oz. regimen for now. What are your thoughts?

Your concern is not warranted.

When in doubt, always refer to factory (Honda) instruction manual:

http://engines.honda.com/parts/ownersmanuals/gcv160

Take a look @ page 9 for oil level.

Also: all OPE engines, regardless of brands/types(OHV, flathead,etc.)are designed to burn a bit of oil, some burns more; others burn less. don't assume that just because it's a Honda then by default: you can look at it like an automotive engine (for it's not, doesn't even come with valve stem seals to begin with). Always check oil level and top up every several hours.

Q.

You're Right! I just found what I was looking for in the back of the owner's manual, Page 14 of 56, which states:

"...Oil capacity Dry engine: 18.6 oz (0.55 l)
**Refill amount: 12.0 ~ 13.5 oz (0.35 ~ 0.41 l)

** Actual amount will vary due to residual oil remaining in the engine. Always use the dipstick to confirm the actual level (see page 9)..."

That explains why the mower was shipped with a 12 oz. bottle of oil.
smile.gif

I've got a dozen of the 160cc Honda engines running air compressors. As far as the hard starting shut off the fuel while the engine is still running. Let it drain the line and stall. Then the next time you use it turn on the fuel.
It's hard to start because moving it when it isn't running bounces the carb and floods it.
Try it.

I have a GCV 160 engine on my mower and I haven't had starting problems with it and it's been in service for 6 years. I do use a Bosch platinum spark plug in it which I believe makes it start a little easier. Draining the oil is kind of a pain as the mower has to be tipped on its side to drain the oil out of the fill hole. I put in a pint of 10W-30 oil when I service the mower a couple of times a year. I do have to be sure that the throttle cable is pulled all the way out or the choke won't close.

I upgraded the stock NGK BPR6ES plug to a NGK BPR6EIX - Iridium IX. It's doing great! I get lots of dust, dirt and debris flying around the engine when I'm mowing. I carefully clean off the engine and the air filter with my electric leaf blower when I'm done mowing. I also upgraded to a Gator blade.
smile.gif
It's a Yard-Man mower that I upgraded to the status of a Yard-Ninja. LOL! I love that mower! I baby it! I use the 10W-30 Valvoline SynPower and I'm good for 25 hours. Happy Trails, its good to hear from y'all!
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back