Oil Change Filter mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just changed oil in my 2001 Acura TL. (Mobil 1 EP 5W30). When I got home from Walmart, I found that I had grabbed a Fram high-mileage filter instead of what I really was aiming for, a Fram Xtended Guard. I am awaiting on a UOA to see if my 10k OCI is going going to work, but wondering if this oil filter is capable of this kind of mileage. Any ideas???

Bring that orange can of death in disguise back. I foolish purchased one thinking it had the ester based stop leak sealant that does work. I figured, perfect! This thing will help stop leaks in conjunction with the high mileage oil I use. WRONG. The stuff they stick in there is just super super super thick oil snot. It makes the STP blue bottle look like water. The way they bracket it into the filter also [censored] me the [censored] off. The XG is sick though, and you should just go back and exchange for it. So long story short, no the HM filter is not good for an extended OCI or any OCI IMO.

Great reference, but the filter in question is not on this page, which is from 1999 -- a looooong time ago. 3000 miles seems a little harsh, even for a Fram filter...

Originally Posted By: The_Intimidator
Bring that orange can of death in disguise back. I foolish purchased one thinking it had the ester based stop leak sealant that does work. I figured, perfect! This thing will help stop leaks in conjunction with the high mileage oil I use. WRONG. The stuff they stick in there is just super super super thick oil snot. It makes the STP blue bottle look like water. The way they bracket it into the filter also [censored] me the [censored] off. The XG is sick though, and you should just go back and exchange for it. So long story short, no the HM filter is not good for an extended OCI or any OCI IMO.
It's in the car -- there is no place to take in back to!

Well you will be going where no man has gone before....Jk. I would say keep the filter on there for 5k max. If you want to go more, just keep an eye on oil pressure and check your dipstick for anything out of the usual.

Cut the OCI short, or just swap the filter with the XG no drain. You shouldn't lose that much oil. Top it off keep going.

I would use other Frams even a EG if I had to but not a HM, I don't like the idea of extra additives picked by the filter manufacturer. Now that it's on, I don't know what I would do but probably not run it that long. I don't think I would have even put it on if I could help it.

Don't sweat it, it will be totally fine. Fram hysteria (as I was once involved) is just ridiculous. I can post some failed wix and Puro's if anyone wants. Take it off at 5k if you are really worried, cut it open and let me know what you think. I agree the X-Tended Guard is an absolute tank of a filter. If I was going for the 10-15k OCI that is what I would use. I think the Fram fear bandwagon should slow down a little.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Don't sweat it, it will be totally fine. Fram hysteria (as I was once involved) is just ridiculous. I can post some failed wix and Puro's if anyone wants. Take it off at 5k if you are really worried, cut it open and let me know what you think. I agree the X-Tended Guard is an absolute tank of a filter. If I was going for the 10-15k OCI that is what I would use. I think the Fram fear bandwagon should slow down a little.

I agree with everything you said but I can't get past the gunk that they put in the High Mileage filter. I wouldn't buy any manufacturer's filter with additives in it.

No matter what any of us say, it's going to bother you. Go ahead and get the XG and change it out now.

Like others, I don't like the idea of the gunk they put in the high mileage filter.

Save the filter, buy a new car. Problem solved.
wink.gif

Run what you brung! If you hit 10k within a year, that filter should do just fine. Especially with the synthetic oils.. there won't be much to load it up.

Originally Posted By: Virtuoso
Run what you brung! If you hit 10k within a year, that filter should do just fine. Especially with the synthetic oils.. there won't be much to load it up.

I will hit 10k in no more than six months - and I think this is what I will do. Thanks!

I'm sure I'm being paranoid, but I don't trust that weird goo in the HM filter. I'd just change it.

I doubt anyone will see this, but I ended up running that filter the full 10k. The car seems to be okay, but will not make that mistake again!

TomYoung, have no worries. The problem with FRAM filters is that they are over-priced for what you get, not that they are bad or will harm your engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back