oil change fall or spring?

👆What he said
I guess if you only go 1500 miles a year you can do April one year and October the next year :) :) :)

Hey Superbuick, I am a buick guy I'm looking a a 1963 Buick Electra 4 door hardtop in great condition for a relatvely normal price

Do you know what tranny that year has behind a 401 Nailhead 4bbl? I don't recall if its a dynaflow or the old hydramtic, It think it''s too old for the Super turbine 400
thanks - Ken

Interesting thread. I have not signed in here in several years. We've got a '13 Tundra and a '17 Avalon. They get an oil change once a year. Just had both back to the dealer. I'm too old (79) to want to crawl under a vehicle any more.

We usually keep a car at least 10 years. The first Avalon had just over 200K miles when we sold it. The second had 140K and we gave it to the younger son & daughter-in-law. We've had the present one 5 years and just turned 40K. Unless we wreck it, we may keep it until it is disposed of by the executor of the estate. Same with the Tundra with only 45K and over 8 years old. I have to think of reasons to drive both over 50 miles at a time.

I guess if you only go 1500 miles a year you can do April one year and October the next year :) :) :)

Hey Superbuick, I am a buick guy I'm looking a a 1963 Buick Electra 4 door hardtop in great condition for a relatvely normal price

Do you know what tranny that year has behind a 401 Nailhead 4bbl? I don't recall if its a dynaflow or the old hydramtic, It think it''s too old for the Super turbine 400
thanks - Ken
Sorry buddy,I don't know. My forum name was picked after The second album by the band Mushroomhead.

Per some here in BITOG, you might opt to never change oil, unless the tech at Blackstone tells you to do so, and if you're "generous" with the guy (tip) he might even extend your oil to lifetime.

WIERD, I have a 19 Frontier with 24K and I only run about 4k ayear, was wondering the same thing. I change oil last July and only put 2300 on it. I may try to hold out til fall before I change again.

Just wondering if interval was ok with LOW usage.

WIERD, I have a 19 Frontier with 24K and I only run about 4k ayear, was wondering the same thing. I change oil last July and only put 2300 on it. I may try to hold out til fall before I change again.

Just wondering if interval was ok with LOW usage.
I wouldn't leave oil in sump more than a year even if it's make of gold. Just my 2 cent.
If you're gonna sell the car in a year or 2 it will be the next owner's problem then keep on going

When driven does it get to full operating temp for 20-30 minutes? If not change it at 6months to one year. IMO YMMV

Just wondering what the consensus of you all would be. My 17 Frontier with 33k miles is only driven less than 5k per year. about 1/2 the miles are short trip, but it is always long enough to bring the coolant up to full temp. The other 1/2 is 90 miles one way then back the next day. Sometimes much longer. I use full synthetic oil and Fram Ultra filter. I am thinking that maybe once a year is possibly even overkill on oil changes, but assuming I do change yearly, which would you do, spring or fall?? I am also thinking that the filter could do 2 years. I know some will say change filter when oil, and I usually do, but with a quality filter like the ultra, isn't changing at 5k a waste? OH, maybe I should say that the truck is always garaged in a garage that never gets down to freezing in winter, or over 90 in summer.
stangguy

Since you do <5,000 miles per year I would change the Oil whatever time of the yr makes you the most comfortable, then change the Oil every 4-5 yrs with a good quality Synthetic Oil and a good quality filter

I do mine in the fall as I want fresh oil for snow duty on my trucks and tractor and snow blower. I would have no problem doing twice a year, but I like clean oil for cold starts over winter.

I did not read all of the posts. But I have written about this before. There are research articles that conclude the time to change the oil in your situation is the spring time. There are reasons for this. 'Just do not have the time to elaborate right now, sorry.

ali

Back