oil catch can

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just installed a JDM oil catch can, for my 5 plymouth neon SOHC. i connected it to my PCV valve, and then to PCV valve intake.; however, on top of can, thiers 2 port lines, one is a little farther form top of can adn the other is a ltlle closer to top of can, nearest the level guage. hwo do i know whihc is enter and exit.? no instructions cmae with package, plus i used vacumm line i had, for the intake valve. the clear line that was suplied with package, collapsed under suction. any ideas?

I'm guessing you got this "JDM" catch can on Ebay? Most of the catch cans I've seen don't have any internal baffle. I highly doubt it will make a difference which port you use. Do you have a link to a picture of it?

yes!!! you are correct! its an ebay JDM i purchased form ebay. its my first one. no link or picture of it i jsut installed it, 3 hours ago. seems to run fine! however, i think it affected my speedometer a little, when driving as installing, it takes a few seconds for the speed meter to move. but it does. also, the PCV valve originally was face down into intake manifold, now the only way i could install it, into tube was face up. if i touch it, it makes a wierd hissing noise and hten goes back to normal. think its safe? theirs no way i can install it face down, i tried so many angles. hope it catches alot:)

You got a JDM (Japanse domestic market) catch can, as opposed to the US market one? Please don't tell me you have a huge wing on your Neon.

i feel i got the very best catch cans for my three fords and lincoln..these were from accurate machine works at that time i paid 96 bucks apiece..since then it has gone up to 165..but well worth it..it has a input and output

Why do you even need a cc unless you are boosted?
With no baffle, I would run the hose coming from the pcv valve the the lower most port and the hose going to the intake from the upper most port, in an attempt to allow the blow-by to settle in the bottom of the can and keep it out of the intake.

Even if you're not boosted, the catch can will collect foul liquids that would sludge your manifold and throttle body, and your valves.

quote:

Originally posted by mechtech:
Even if you're not boosted, the catch can will collect foul liquids that would sludge your manifold and throttle body, and your valves.

I've had good luck with just a road tube on my hot rod stuff. Cost...about a dollar for a piece of hose to hang down and vent as needed.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by ziggy:
the PCV valve originally was face down into intake manifold, now the only way i could install it, into tube was face up. if i touch it, it makes a wierd hissing noise and hten goes back to normal. think its safe? theirs no way i can install it face down, i tried so many angles. hope it catches alot:)

You shouldn't turn the PCV valve around. It's a one way check valve. I really don't understand what you did or why, actually, because I'm not familiar with Neon engines. All you should be doing is replacing the hose that goes from the pcv valve to your vacuum source, and have the catch can go inbetween. Make sure the hose they give you doesn't collapse under heat and vacuum. Otherwise, just get the proper size fuel hose at the auto parts store. Fuel injection hose is the best, but it's expensive.

Just to see if you really need a big-bucks catch-can, you might want to try one of these first:

http://huskytools.com/husky/Category95781/Category100796/Product3.html

I've got one of these Husky air/water separators in the PCV circuit of my 2.4L Toyota VVT-i engine now. Two weeks gone by so far, and nothing has been "caught" yet.

The separator flows air pretty freely, so it doesn't seem to be restricting anything. This was my main concern before trying it.

It's a rugged little unit with an easily removed plastic bowl. Good enough for an experiment, and maybe more. $11.97 plus tax at Home Depot.

Any of you BITOGers try one of these things? Is a catch-can even worth it?

I've been through several of those air compressor filters, including the larger, more expensive ones. There is a label on the side that clearly states not to use it with synthetic fluids, etc. I was using Mobil 1 10w30 at the time, and I don't know if the oil, or crankcase fluids did the damage, but each one of them ended up leaking through a seal, or the plastic cracked.

I'm currently using a Moroso with an open breather, and the pcv completely removed. When inspection time comes around, I use a "Help" grommet on top of the catch can with the stock pcv pressed in. It does have an internal baffle.

I have seen some decent, inexpensive catch cans on Ebay that have a removable top so you can add something to trap the oil vapors. Using steel wool is a bad idea, but I'm sure if you stroll through the isles of Home Depot, you'll find something safe to use. Small springs, maybe? By the way, I've read about people using shower puffs, but I don't know if I'd trust this.

quote:

Originally posted by ziggy:
the PCV valve originally was face down into intake manifold, now the only way i could install it, into tube was face up. if i touch it, it makes a wierd hissing noise and hten goes back to normal. think its safe? theirs no way i can install it face down, i tried so many angles. hope it catches alot:)

You shouldn't turn the PCV valve around. It's a one way check valve. I really don't understand what you did or why, actually, because I'm not familiar with Neon engines. All you should be doing is replacing the hose that goes from the pcv valve to your vacuum source, and have the catch can go inbetween. Make sure the hose they give you doesn't collapse under heat and vacuum. Otherwise, just get the proper size fuel hose at the auto parts store. Fuel injection hose is the best, but it's expensive.

ziggy,

I'm with JP on this. You should have only had to cut (or use two longer lenths) the hose and inserted the catch can inline. No alterations to anything else should be needed or should have occured.

quote:

Because positive crankcase pressure is present with or without boost. It's just more of a pain to manage with boost.

thanks guys:) i got the oil catch can, because i joined a forum for neons. www.neons.org and i learned about them form others, who had STV 4 DOHC engines, adn some used them on thier SOHC engines like mine, and talked about how mcuh oil they caught. so i wanted to try one, naturally. people were telling me that oil ect can get passed the pcv valve in my car. every 2 years, i look at my PCV valve and it is always filled with black packed oil. my car already has an oil seperator, bt i thought it would bea cool thng to have, and help my enigne better. cleanliness wise anyhoo. the reason the vavle ended up face up, was because thier was literally no room to turn it around, let alone just barely able to cram the catch can in, without obstructing anything in my engin. i figured ide give it some time, and if i dont see positive results, then i'll take it out. all i spent on it,w as $13.00
someoen had heard that your supposeed to attch it to your breather intake something like that but mya car dosnt have one, so it only made sense to attach it to PCV valve, as thats where the air an oil flows.

You're talking about 2 different things. The valve cover breather, and the PCV. The valve cover breather is a hose that runs from the valve cover to the intake. You can put another catch can there if you want. I honestly don't understand your reasoning for turning the pcv valve upside down. It doesn't make sense. You don't need to "cram" the catch can in there. Mount the catch can somewhere else, and run 1 hose from the pcv to the can, and 1 hose from the can to the manifold.

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:

quote:

Because positive crankcase pressure is present with or without boost. It's just more of a pain to manage with boost.

Yes, I am quite aware that there is crankcase pressure even without boost.

My contention is that if you are experiencing enough blow-by on a stock, naturally aspirated,9.5ish:1 engine to justify a catch can you have a problem.

I would venture to say that I collect maybe a quart a year of blow-by between my three boosted vehichles,and one of them is not only boosted, it's also running a 17:1 compression ratio.

I think it is really just for the bling factor and if it happens to catch a couple drops a month of blow-by in the process, then all the better.

Ever since we went to multipoint injection the blow by deposits have just accumulated in the intake.

My 2.5 jeep engine has a decent amount of positive crankcase pressure at idle ..and it's clean. I don't know how them managed this ..but they did configure a special odd looking plenumn around the throttle body ..while in a 4.0 they used the economy of a straight tube.

There are quite a few OEM filters and catch cans (of a sort) to inhibit the migration of oil/vapor to the intake.

I don't see any "bling factor" to it at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back