Toyota 2GR-FKS Dual Oil Catch Can Setup

Not sure what section to post this in. It is engine oil filtration in a sense. Intake and PCV side hooked up. Looking forward to catching all that junk and keeping the throttle body, intake valves, and manifold as clean as possible.

Attachments

• IMG_3177.jpeg
    IMG_3177.jpeg
    167.8 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_3178.jpeg
    IMG_3178.jpeg
    167.4 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_2932.jpeg
    IMG_2932.jpeg
    141.6 KB · Views: 159
Looks neatly done! I like the standard black style hoses. It makes it look very OEM. It'll be interesting to see how much you catch.

Looks neatly done! I like the standard black style hoses. It makes it look very OEM. It'll be interesting to see how much you catch.
I think it will be a decent amount. Probably 85% PCV side. Many users have noted the manifold being obviously coated after only 20k miles or so. This engine does have port and direct injection, but I still like to keep this to a minimum.

A catch-can on the clear air hose between the intake tube before the throttle body and the valve cover typically will not catch anything unless you're doing a lot of wide open throttle driving, or the engine is turbocharged. Turbocharged engines may have a check valve in that clean air line to prevent dirty air back flow into the intake tube. The air flow in the clean air side hose is meant to provide clean air into the engine as the intake side sucks out the dirty air in the engine.

I would not install them if there was not already documented effectiveness. Especially in the long term. I am stage 2 tuned with an Injen intake and running e30. I do open the her up here and there. I will update and show the results.

1500 miles on the PCV side. Those little specs are carbon.

IMG_3497.jpeg

Last edited:
Interesting.
What's the vehicle application for this engine?

I would concur that % of success will be application specific. Some vehicles will benefit greatly from a catch-can. Others may benefit to a lesser degree. Some others, not much at all. The following affects how much a catch-can may aid overall:
- fuel system (DI only? PF only? DI+PF?)
- PVC system design
- Lube NOACK score

Some vehicles have very good PCV recovery systems; some don't. I recently got a MX-5 ND2. I bought a very nice, high-end catch can system made specifically for the vehicle. (Looks OE when installed). Since I've put 6k miles on it, I've had nary a drop of oil collected. Apparently the PCV system in the MX-5 ND2 is very effective, and not letting many (any?) vapors escape the block-mounted PCV.

Also, oil choice has a LOT to do with this. The lower the NOACK value, the less it will vaporize and carry stuff into the intake system.

I'm running PUP in my MX-5; very good NOACK performance. And apparently the ND-2 engine PCV is very robust. Honestly, I wouldn't advise anyone else to put a catch-can on an ND-2; not really worth the investment.

My point is that we cannot say with absolute conviction that a catch-can is or is not needed, without understanding the application and lubes used.

Interesting.

I would concur that % of success will be application specific. Some vehicles will benefit greatly from a catch-can. Others may benefit to a lesser degree. Some others, not much at all. The following affects how much a catch-can may aid overall:
- PVC system design
- Lube NOACK score

Some vehicles have very good PCV recovery systems; some don't. I recently got a MX-5 ND2. I bought a very nice, high-end catch can system made specifically for the vehicle. (Looks OE when installed). Since I've put 6k miles on it, I've had nary a drop of oil collected. Apparently the PCV system in the MX-5 ND2 is very effective, and not letting many (any?) vapors escape the block-mounted PCV.

Also, oil choice has a LOT to do with this. The lower the NOACK value, the less it will vaporize and carry stuff into the intake system.

I'm running PUP in my MX-5; very good NOACK performance. And apparently the ND-2 engine PCV is very robust. Honestly, I wouldn't advise anyone else to put a catch-can on an ND-2; not really worth the investment.

My point is that we cannot say with absolute conviction that a catch-can is or is not needed, without understanding the application and lubes used.

2023 Tacoma. 2GR-FKS. This D4S engine is dual injection and even has a “cleaning mode” for the intake valves. Toyota knows how much oil get sucked back in the intake manifold and cakes things up.

Believe me, catch-cans absolutely work. You need to maintain them but their effectiveness is well documented. Particularly with engines without port injection. I like to keep my internals as clean as possible.

1500 miles on the PCV side. Those little specs are carbon.

1706744646228.jpeg
That's not really much for 1500 miles, but it is catching some that would have gone into the intake manifold if not caught by the catch-can. On a DI engine, catching anything is a benefit. Did you check the clean air side? Bet there was nothing really in that one.

Last edited:
- PVC system design
- Lube NOACK score
I would add driving style, which can be a big factor. A catch-can will catch much more on the same car driven very hard or driven on a track vs that same car driven easily on the streets. When the engine is driven hard, there is higher oil temperature, and more piston ring blow-by going on.

And as I mentioned earlier in this thread, a catch-can on the clean air side would really only benefit if the car is driven really hard, like on a race track. Cars driven normally on the streets typically will not catch anything in a PCV system clean air side, unless maybe it's a turbo which can cause more ring blow-by if on boost a lot, and that makes crankcase pressure rise easier than a non-turbo can.

Last edited:
Interesting.

- PVC system design
- Lube NOACK score

Surprising you would have made such an investment knowing your penchant for ROI. Perhaps not sufficient info regarding your particular application? I guess everyone is susceptible now and again in over maintaining their babies. What's the approximate price of your system, if you don't mind?😁

Here's one I got on Amazon for $25 and mounted on my 4.0 V6 Tacoma. Had to buy the better hose from NAPA and some nylon washers to space it off the fender when mounted. There was an existing threaded hole on the fender wall. Already had the hose clamps laying around in a big clamp kit. So all in about $32. The install came out pretty good. Caught a slight amount after only a few hundred miles.

1706754326367.jpeg

1706754366969.jpeg
1706754447258.jpeg

Same, each can was like $23. Not much $. It is not a lot of oil but X 250k miles it would make a big difference.

I most certainly believe catch cans can be a big benefit; I do not doubt that one bit. But it's not a slam dunk. I just am making a point that not all applications will show great results. So much of this depends on many variables that we can't say catch-cans are a 100% necessity for all.

My MX-5 is DI only. So I had concerns about the intake valve coking issue. There's not a lot of data out for the ND-2 engine yet in terms of high mileage DI issues. So I decided to make an expensive investment ($300) for this one "luxury". It's made right near where I live; Indy. So I just hopped over and saved myself the shipping costs. Turns out I've probably wasted my money, but the money is spent so it's staying there. I would not recommend a catch can in this application; the OE system does a good job, if you combine it with a good low NOACK lube. I plan to change over to HPL soon in that engine; it will further reduce any potential need for a CC.

I have decided against using a catch can for my ES350; it has dual injection. When I pair that with the fact that I'm now using HPL 5w-30 in it, I think the risk is fairly low for intake valve deposits. There is some anecdotal evidence out there that shows the D4-S system does a fairly good job. I've seen two videos, but can't post them as they have profanity in them.

Isn’t your Tacoma running a hot tune? I would be interested for my Sienna, but your results aren’t exactly verifiable.

Back