Oil Catch Can and Rear Mail Seal - can it cause issues?

• Thread starter Deleted member 89374
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 89374

Can an oil catch can cause rear mail seal issues? I plan on installing a Mishimoto oil catch can on the Hyundai Santa Fe Sport with the 2.4 GDI engine. Has anyone here experienced any such issues? Thank you for all your input and advice.

Never heard of that. It would be interesting. I have a CC on my 19' Sorento 2.4 and it gets about 2 Tbls of oil at 5k mile OCI. Not much, but over time, it's a lot not covering the valves. Reduce, but unfortunately not eliminate.

Never heard of that. It would be interesting. I have a CC on my 19' Sorento 2.4 and it gets about 2 Tbls of oil at 5k mile OCI. Not much, but over time, it's a lot not covering the valves. Reduce, but unfortunately not eliminate.

Which catch can are you using? The Sorento is similar to the Santa Fe. Thank you!

I imagine that something bad can happen if too much pressure builds up in the crank case.
What does crank case pressure have to do with a catch can? Catch cans are a totally passive device that condense oil vapors on their way to the air intake. The only debate is whether they are necessary. If you're worried about cc pressure, a valve cover breather is the only device I'm aware of to address the issue. The excessive pressure is usually only present in modified forced induction cars that are running more boost than than factory. I run one of these on my Hellcat.
https://www.c-f-m.com/performanceparts/pc/Valve-Cover-Breathers-c744.htm

On a performance or high rpm track car , I could understand a catch can. But the jurys still out on whether IVD is a real issue anyway. Only way I could see it blowing seals is if you dont change it or its clogged, but its not worth a potential warranty issue.

I've been running a catch can on my 2014 Mustang GT for almost 8 years and a little longer on my fiance's 2007 Mustang GT and have not had any rear main seal leakage or any leakage for that matter.

It might be possible to for some issues to happen if your PVC valve plugs up completely.

I've been running a catch can on my 2014 Mustang GT for almost 8 years and a little longer on my fiance's 2007 Mustang GT and have not had any rear main seal leakage or any leakage for that matter.

It might be possible to for some issues to happen if your PVC valve plugs up completely.
Thank you for the info. Well, if the PVC is blocked then it doesn't matter if you have a catch can or not, right?

Back