oil capacity mystery

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just recently purchased a 2000 Honda accord lx auto with the sohc f20a1 2.3 VTEC four. I was given an oil change sticker after buying the car and it supposedly only did 14 miles on its current oci but I believe they tried to pull a fast one and didn't do the change. Now I checked the dipstick to see the level and it was barely halfway up the dipstick.

I decided to change the oil after doing a full tune up to be on the safe side. So after draining the old oil and new filter I filled up 4 quarts and it barely made it to the min. Waited 5 min checked and it was the same level. Now I keep adding oil to get it to full and end up putting the last quart of my 5 at jug of maxlife in and its barely reading three quarters. The odd thing is the owners manual specifies 4.5 for change with filter so it leads me to believe it nay have an aftermarket pan. What do you guys think? I haven't added any more since its at an acceptable level. I just wanted to avoid an overfill.

Maybe incorrect dipstick. Is the vehicle absolutely level when checking? I would doubt an aftermarket pan unless the engine was modded - is it?

That's close enough not to worry about, for me anyways. Didn't honda have another 4 cyl available in that car? Maybe they just put the oil capacity for one of them?
Also, does it look like a new oil pan? A 13 year old one will look like one.

No mods driveway is at a very slight grade. I always check it at the most level Area and have always had accurate readings on other vehicles. I even did the tranny fluid on this accord two weeks ago accurately. I was thinking dipstick myself but idk. I'm gonna check at a gas station today. I might bite the bullet and shell out for a dealer dipstick if it reads the same

Last edited:
just ask the parts guy to grab one off the shelf, take yours inside and lay them down side by side to see if there is any difference.

My wifes 03 Accord says capacity is 4.5 qt's but it reads right at the full mark with 5 qts. So I just fill it with 5 at each change. An extra 1/2 qt isn't going to hurt anything.

A friend of mine has the exact car as my wife and his reads full with 4.5 qts.

So as long as you have what it calls for, or even a little more, you'll be fine.

I have a 2000 Accord with the same 2.3 engine as yours. Mine takes about 4.75 quarts of Maxlife with a filter change to reach the full mark. I usually just dump in the full 5 quart jug. As previously stated the extra oil doesnt hurt anything and if it uses some, all the better.
If you want to verify the driveway slope does or does not effect the reading, just park it facing the opposite way and compare dipstick readings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back