Mazda CX 5 Is This Overfilled Enough To Be Concerned About ?

It is well known that the 2019 Mazda CX 5 owners manual for the 2.5L turbo engine shows an incorrect oil capacity at 5.1 quarts with an oil filter replacement. Adding a 5 quart jug for an oil & filter change will only bring the oil up to halfway between the low and high dots on the dipstick and in order to fill to the max level dot on the dipstick it actually takes 5.5 quarts.

I wasn't careful in adding that extra half quart and may have added 2-3 ounces too much. Is this oil level on the dipstick enough to be concerned with that I should try and remove a few ounces ?
dipstick.JPG

Last edited:
Yes, seriously. If I had a Fumoto valve my OCD would have me opening it up to drain a few ounces.
But if it's not an issue I'm not going to pull the drain plug just to remove a few ounces.

5 quarts is 160oz. An extra 2-3 ounces is on the order of 2% overfull. Probably in the rounding error range.

I wouldn't lose sleep over anything less than 1/4 quart overfull, and probably not over 1/2 quart overfull.

Yes! Why is halfway between the dipstick dots “incorrect“? Those dots are Minimum & Maximum levels, not “capacity full”. Add the amount required by the manufacturer and sleep well.

This times a million.

I don’t know what it is about the Mazda community but enthusiasts are all convinced that Mazda doesn’t know how to write fluid capacities in their manuals. Take a look at Mazdas247 and you’d be convinced that anything requiring lube in a Mazda leaves the factory under filled.

Not at all. I always found the 2.5L takes about 5.2 quarts. Some just put 5 in and call it a day.

A rule of thumb that I live by is 10%. Say if your car takes 5 quarts, you should not have any issues filling it over or under .5 of a quart. It should be stated that you really should never underfill your engine, but don't overfill it too much. Hope that this helps.

Back