Oil burning 2008 Pontiac Vibe, 2.4L engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello guys,

My uncle's Vibe is burning oil, about 1L (or quart) every 2000 km. It hasn't been driven that hard but it's got about 150 000km on it.

Do you guys have any suggestions as for oil or additives to reduce that consumption?

I saw some cheap Mobil Super 2000 high mileage oil and I was wondering if it was any good.

Thanks!

I'll check with my uncle. It might be the 2009 after all. I sent him the TSB information and the fact that Toyota USA is starting to do free piston replacements...

That being said, I thought the engine was already supposed to run on 5W-30. Maybe he should bump it up to 5W-40.

Quote:

That being said, I thought the engine was already supposed to run on 5W-30.

That is probably true; I was commenting in a Toyota framework which clearly is not appropriate;

I maintain one of these that burned the factory spec 5w20 at about that rate. T6 seems to have it down closer to 1qt/500mi. Not great but, for the history this car had before it came into my care (seemingly 3 quick stop conventional oil changes in the first 35k miles), it seems like an improvement.

--Matt

I am also using T6 in my 2008 Scion tC. Got to almost 2000 miles before needing to add a quart. Changed out pcv valve also. Purchased car used at 31K and now have 57k. Was using Kendell GT1 0w20 and was using more than the T6. Now my 2006 tC has 104K and never uses oil between OCIs. Using a Fram Ultra on the 2008 and will continue to top off with T6 till I get to 15k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back