Oil burner no more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a '98 Honda Prelude with 135k on it that has burned some oil for a while. Since the wife began to drive it the burning got worse. So, last oil change I put in 10w30 rather than the 5w30 and it still burned. Before I took a 960 mile road trip I topped it off with 10w40(1/2 quart) and added RedLine fuel system cleaner.
No oil burned on the trip! On the same trip in the past, I would burn 1 full quart. I belive the Redline stuff freed up some deposits by the rings.
What do you guys think?
Oil used is Amsoil.

i dunno. i would try autorx to free up the rings. my integra burned a quart to every 500 in town and a quart to every 300 on the highway. when i ran the 150 mile clean phase i had to add only hasf a quart for the 1500 and none since. 95 acura integra with the b18b engine.

I'm thinking the thicker oil is what did the trick. My car runs 5W30 and uses a quart every 3 weeks. I tried topping up with 10W30, same thing. Topped up with 10W40, the first week I used hardly any oil at all, then it went back to normal.

ARX it. I wish to heck I'd been able to use it on some old oil burners years past. Get those rings freed up, UOA it, and get a good recommendation (DYSON ANALYSIS) on what to use next.

So, if she continues to not burn oil, what do you guys suggest I put in at the next oil change? That change will likely stay in until the cold weather returns. 10w30, 10w40?
Also, I find it hard to believe that a 1/2 quart of 10w40 had much to do about it. The car runs 4k rpm at 80mph, and I rarely slowed down to that speed(made it in 6 hours, that is one way 480miles, and that is counting stops for gas and ***). Again, the same trip in the past burned 1 whole quart.
Anyway, thanks for the help, and 10w30 or 10w40?

Use a dino 10W-30 and start an ARX clean and rinse program, and include a high-mile power run during both the clean and rinse phases.

After the prescribed 1,500-mile clean and 2,000-mile rinse phases, stay with a dino and use a 3-ounce ARX maintenance dose.

If you still get consumption, maybe a 10W-40 is the answer. No consumption, go back to a synthetic, and see if anything changes.

Some engines consume more with a 5w30 than a 10w30, although usually not much of a difference.

I think I will wait until this oil is done to decide what is next(about 4k more miles). It sounds as if you guys think the burning is not over, yes?
Well, I will keep you all posted. Thanks again.

Quote:

Anyway, thanks for the help, and 10w30 or 10w40?

Well that depends. Does the mfr permit 10w-40 in this model? If not, you should use High Mileage Pennziol or Castrol 5w or 10w-30. Thickness is inbetween regular 10w-30 and 10w-40.

Sounds like the fuel treatment did a good job. Do you still use it?

Quote:

I have a '98 Honda Prelude with 135k on it that has burned some oil for a while. Since the wife began to drive it the burning got worse. So, last oil change I put in 10w30 rather than the 5w30 and it still burned. Before I took a 960 mile road trip I topped it off with 10w40(1/2 quart) and added RedLine fuel system cleaner.
No oil burned on the trip! On the same trip in the past, I would burn 1 full quart. I belive the Redline stuff freed up some deposits by the rings.
What do you guys think?
Oil used is Amsoil.

It's also possible you have a small coolant leak that only enters the oil when high speeds occur. That could keep the dipstick level up. It happened to me on a long east coast trip in 2005. I didn't know anything was wrong until the engine idled rougher for around 1K before changing the oil. When I changed the oil, it was dull & shiny clouds floating on top of the oil pan. When I refilled with new oil & drove it ever since, the idle returned to super smoooth.

I have the GM 4.3 engine with slight coolant leak. The faster I go -- the better chance it leaks. So now I shortened my OCIs to 5K synthetic instead of 7K synthetic. I may someday need to shorten that more - or get it fixed. I'm running the coolant tabs now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back