Oil brand recommendation Syn 5W-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Semi-confused new guy here! I have two Saturn vehicles that I change oil and filters on. Both vehicles are GM Ecotec 2.2L 4-Cyl engines and call for SAE 5W-30 oil. Since the first factory fill OCI at 3K miles I have used Mobile 1, 5W-30 with OCI at about 5K miles during their "break-in" period. The VUE has 17K and the ION has 13K on the clock. Here is the issue:

I've used Mobile 1 (mostly 5W-30 grade) for many years in other vehicles, and have always thought the engines I put it in were more "noisy." Since I've been lurking on here, I've seen the same comments about "noise" from quite a few posters about M1, 5W-30.

My question is pretty simple: What fully synthetic and easily available (over the counter) brand of 5W-30 should I consider changing to, that I could expect to quiet these engines down by using? Please keep in mind that I don't want to get into exotic oils (like AMSOIL, RL, RP, or GC) or change SAE grade, OR become OCD any worse than I am now.
wink.gif
This sure is a really "rough" crowd to hang with and not become infected by some oil related disorder, so be nice, breath through your noses, and keep yer distance!!

Thanks in advance.

Just about any other brand syn oil of the same grade would be 'thicker' than what you are currectly using,(Mobil blends theirs on the thin side) which would probably quiet things down a bit. I vote for Penzoil Platinum.

Are you planning to keep running 5k intervals?
If so I would recommend switching over to Havoline dino 5W30.It quieted down my ole 4 banger vs M1 5W30.

I second the Penzoil Platinum suggestion

My second option would be Valvoline Synpower 5w30.

Lastly, if I was feeling extra-cheap, I would give Coastal Synthetic 5w30 a try, along with a Valuecraft oil filter. You can get both at AutoZone.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure there is a bad oil for you to use, that meets GM requirements.

Where you live you can use 10w30 year round my choice ,HAVOLINE SNYTHETIC, VALVOLINE SYNPOWER, these two are great products. Both are easy to get and are priced right.

Maxlife Synthetic is about 11.5 cSt at 100C vs. typical 30 weight being around 10.5 cSt. Maxlife Synthetic is great oil. I also would go with 10w30 over 5w30 especially in your neck of the woods.

quote:

Originally posted by SaturnIonVue:
Both vehicles are GM Ecotec 2.2L 4-Cyl engines and call for SAE 5W-30 oil.

Your warranty won't be affected by the fact that you used 0w-30 or 10w-30 instead of 5w-30.
5w-30 is a recommended weight. It's not a requirement.

welcome.gif

quote:

Originally posted by vad:

quote:

Originally posted by SaturnIonVue:
Both vehicles are GM Ecotec 2.2L 4-Cyl engines and call for SAE 5W-30 oil.

Your warranty won't be affected by the fact that you used 0w-30 or 10w-30 instead of 5w-30.
5w-30 is a recommended weight. It's not a requirement.

What if he ran 20w50?

Thanks everyone for your responses! I do have a couple of follow up questions though. Here goes:

1) Does the "noise" that comes with using M-1 5W-30 or some other "thin" 5W-30 oil cause any real harm? Any kind of damage or wear over the long run?

2) The Saturn Owners Manual is very specific about using 5W-30 oils, and states that "if 5W-30 oil is not available (what ever that means, since every store seems to have it as a stock item) that 10W-30 can be used, as long as the temperture does not fall below..." but that it should be switched back to 5W-30. If I did use an oil like 0W-40, xW-50, etc., most of which they specify NOT to use and one had a oil related engine failure that they wanted to blame on the off spec oil used, how would they know? Unless I told them something other than 5W-30? I know an OA would probably tell the tale by the viscosity, etc., but realistically how likely is it that a shop would even do one? I've never heard of a shop ever going to those lengths before. Has anyone heard of this happening? I'm just curious since BITOG comments often include advise about oil requirements and the viscosity being used during the warranty period.

Thanks!

5W-30 does sound a bit thin for an oil in LA in an ecotec. The same block in a Saab takes your choice of a 30wt or a 40wt, even in much colder climates.

You're still under warranty, so don't do anything your manual doesn't specify, in case you run into an uneducated customer disservice agent in some future warranty claim. However, check your manual carefully to see if it specifies a different weight for warmer climates. My Saab, for example (pre-Ecotec '99 B204) specifies a 15W-50 for conditions that never fall below 60 degrees F, while recommending a 10W-30 for most conditions, and a 5W-30 for conditions that regularly fall below -4 F.

In any case, if you're restricted to an XW-30, find one on the thicker end of the scale. XW-30 oils range from 9.3cst to 12.5cst. Mobil1 5W-30 is pretty much mid-range at 11.3cst. Mobil1 10W-30 is actually thinner at 10.5cst. GC (Castrol 0W-30 that says Made in Germany on the back) is on the thick end at 12.1cst.

Other oils mentioned above...Pennzoil Platinum, contrary to other posts, is NOT thicker than M1. It's 10.5cst @ 100C. Valvoline Synpower is also thinner at 10.8cst.

To tell you the truth, I'm not really sure where to find a thicker 5W-30 than M1. If you can use a 0W-30, GC is a good bet. There's more to noise than viscosity, though...so just pick another brand and try it. You really can't do any harm with any oil mentioned here.

And if you can use an XW-40 oil, give it a shot. M1 XW-40s are said to be noisy as well, but I've never noticed it...I ran their 0W-40 for three intervals, and I'm on my second interval of 5W-40, which I really like. Again, any other fully synthetic will be great for your car too.

Matt

to get engine work under warrenty, you usually have to prove through reciepts, that the oil has been changed regularly. The reciepts would show what weight was purchased.

quote:

Originally posted by MO:
... Mobil1 5W-30 is pretty much mid-range at 11.3cst.

I'm glad they finally thickened it up a bit. A couple of years ago, it barely made grade, with a rated viscosity of 10.0cSt @ 100C. That doesn't leave much room for shear!

quote:

Originally posted by mdocod:
to get engine work under warrenty, you usually have to prove through reciepts, that the oil has been changed regularly. The reciepts would show what weight was purchased.

Not necessarily true. I purchased 5 qts of Castrol Syntec 5w40 at Autozone, and nowhere on the receipt does it show the weight. It just says 5 qts Castrol Syntec @ 4.99/qt. Since I have a 1.8T requiring VW502.00 approved oil, I guess I'll save the empty bottles or shear the label off as proof of weight, in case I ever have to use the warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back