Oil and storage...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Goldwing was stored outside through all the magnificient quebec winter. Before storage, a new oil and filter change + storage oil poured in all of the 6 cylinder.

Honda recommend to chhage the oil again if the bike was sitting there for more than 4 months , why ? Should I beleive that the oil is loosing all the additive per evaporation ?

Contamination per water should not be an issue, maybe a bit of condensation, but one should get rid of that after the first ride with the engine up to the operating temperature...I think.

So should I drain the 4 liters of new oil that I put in 5 months ago ?

Thanks

I would just fire it up and run the snot out of it. Just tell the RCMP that your dissipating the moisture in your bike... I let my bikes sit for longer than that and zero problems.

Originally Posted By: sw99
I would just fire it up and run the snot out of it. Just tell the RCMP that your dissipating the moisture in your bike...
+1 Run that baby.... Italian tune up as Johnny would call it. lol Sounds like you did all the right things. And, enjoy the ride.....

The oil will be fine. Oil won't deteriorate just sitting in the engine. Run it your normal interval. We had an oil analysis here (UOA) of oil that had been sitting in a Porsche 5 years 9k miles, and the UOA came back fine. I've seen other UOA's of oil that had been in the crankcase 1-2 years and the oil was just fine too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back