Oil and Mustang question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a 2012 5.0 Mustang and looking for clearification on oil. Looking to use Amsoil Signature 0-20 and wondering if anyone knows if it meets the Ford WSS-M2C945-A specs. Ford specs call for 5-20 but can't see where it would matter. Amsoil can be tricky because they do not get API cert. and don't want any reason for Ford to deny a warranty claim. Have always had good oil results with Amsoil just trying to track down some info in this new engine.

The Amsoil web site shows these for ASM 0w-20 -

APPLICATIONS
AMSOIL Signature Series Synthetic Motor Oil is excellent for use in all types of gasoline-fueled vehicles. It is recommended for all domestic and foreign vehicles requiring any of the listed performance specifications:

0W-20 (ASM): API SN (Resource Conserving), SM…; ILSAC GF-5, GF-4…; ACEA A5/B5, A1/B1; GM 6094M; Ford WSS-M2C945-A, WSS-M2C930-A; Chrysler MS-6395N

Thanks so much for answering my post. I have contacted Amsoil and Ford. Amsoil does meet the criteria as was shown by those who answered my post and Ford states that it doesn't matter if it is 5W-20 or 0W-20 as long as it meets the specs of WSS-M2C945-A.
Thanks for the fast and informative answer...

OE and XL are SM/GF5 Licensed and so likely meet Ford Requirements.

Signature is not licensed and thus doesnt meet Ford Requirements. Its additive package is to robust.

Last edited:
Chuck: Let us know how it runs on that oil. I have an 06 Mustang GT that runs PP 5W20 but there have been some reports of noisy operation of the new 5.0 on 5W20.

Originally Posted By: Old Mustang Guy
Chuck: Let us know how it runs on that oil. I have an 06 Mustang GT that runs PP 5W20 but there have been some reports of noisy operation of the new 5.0 on 5W20.

Mine sounds fine on MC 5W20 and M1 5W20. Quieter than my '07 3V.

Gene,
On Amsoils' site it states that the Signiture 0W-20 does meet WSS-M2C945-A. It also is API SN and Ilsac GF-5, GF-4. It also meets up to date ACEA standards. I confirmed this with a phone call to their tech dept. It would seem that Ford would have a tough time saying that it is not an appropriate oil. This is the first Ford that I have had since my '66 Mustang years ago and a 20 weight is hard to get used to. I believe it is CAFE standards as Fords outside the U.S. are 30 weight. Will run the 20 for a period time and may change to a 0W-30 down the road.

Originally Posted By: AgingChuck
Gene,
On Amsoils' site it states that the Signiture 0W-20 does meet WSS-M2C945-A. It also is API SN and Ilsac GF-5, GF-4. It also meets up to date ACEA standards. I confirmed this with a phone call to their tech dept. It would seem that Ford would have a tough time saying that it is not an appropriate oil. This is the first Ford that I have had since my '66 Mustang years ago and a 20 weight is hard to get used to. I believe it is CAFE standards as Fords outside the U.S. are 30 weight. Will run the 20 for a period time and may change to a 0W-30 down the road.

The key is in the wording of this quote:

Quote:
It is recommended for all domestic and foreign vehicles requiring any of the listed performance specifications:

This means that Amsoil feels their oil is suitable for applications requiring those approvals. It does NOT mean the oil is tested for or actually approved for those applications however.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

This means that Amsoil feels their oil is suitable for applications requiring those approvals. It does NOT mean the oil is tested for or actually approved for those applications however.

Actually don't be so sure. Tested yes. And how does one get approved for the Ford specification?

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Actually don't be so sure. Tested yes. And how does one get approved for the Ford specification?

I assume they buy it? IE, the product is submitted and tested, and then you pay the licensing fee like with most certs.

That of course doesn't mean the product doesn't meet the spec. It just means that Ford hasn't approved it for the spec.

The whole recommended for/approved for thing.

OVERK1LL, Pablo: This is the problem with knowing the nitty gritty on each oil. It is almost impossible to know which oil is the best for what application or which oil will or will not be a point of contention IF a problem occurs. One could use an inferior oil just to meet a manufacturers warranty quidelines but perhaps hurt the longivity of an engine long term. However, I would say that any appropriate oil, changed within mileage limits would work well. I have driven many vehicles way over 100,000 miles on oils that were not top tier. I don't think oil is a major issue of engine failure if changed on a regular schedule. That being said, I do want the best oil I can for a given usage..

this is a very confusing issue for a lot of us. I too would like to put the signature series oil in my 2012 V6 mustang but I've received a lot of conflicting answers on whether doing so may cause warranty issues.

the sig series oils meet Ford WSS-M2C945-A specs BUT, there is no API certified logo on the container. the fact that there is no API logo, may cause Ford to deny a warranty claim.

an entire thread about this was opened up at a mustang forum, and no one is the wiser for it unfortunately.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-mustang-talk/300285-amsoil-oil-ford-warranty.html

what an absolute joke all of this bureaucratic nonsense is.

consider the fact that the 2011 mustangs were required to meet Ford WSS-M2C930-A. The amsoil XL line meets that spec, and has the API logo. Now this is where it gets crazy. The 2012 mustangs must meet the new Ford WSS-M2C945-A spec. The 2011 and 2012 cars are the exact same cars, but now require different specs. This means that anyone who wants to use the XL oil is now potentially vulnerable to denial of claim!

I spoke to Josh at amsoil several times and he confirmed the potential warranty issues with the current reality. He thinks that the XL lime should be labelled for the new spec by the end of the year.

Can anyone get an answer from ford on this?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: shanneba
The Amsoil web site shows these for ASM 0w-20 -

APPLICATIONS
AMSOIL Signature Series Synthetic Motor Oil is excellent for use in all types of gasoline-fueled vehicles. It is recommended for all domestic and foreign vehicles requiring any of the listed performance specifications:

0W-20 (ASM): API SN (Resource Conserving), SM…; ILSAC GF-5, GF-4…; ACEA A5/B5, A1/B1; GM 6094M;

Recommended for and actually being certified are two different things. The ASM 0W-20 has no API certifications( listed at this time on the API site ).

Originally Posted By: AgingChuck
OVERK1LL, Pablo: This is the problem with knowing the nitty gritty on each oil. It is almost impossible to know which oil is the best for what application or which oil will or will not be a point of contention IF a problem occurs. One could use an inferior oil just to meet a manufacturers warranty quidelines but perhaps hurt the longivity of an engine long term. However, I would say that any appropriate oil, changed within mileage limits would work well. I have driven many vehicles way over 100,000 miles on oils that were not top tier. I don't think oil is a major issue of engine failure if changed on a regular schedule. That being said, I do want the best oil I can for a given usage..

This is how it worked when I worked at a dealer and how I have always understood it.

API Certification is a MUST for new car mfg's when called for. Not just meets/exceeds. It better actually be certified or it is an issue.

For the car mfg's own oil spec it is generally accepted that an oil just needs to meet/exceed it and not actually be licensed. Now, being licensed means you won't be asked to prove it meets/exceeds the spec BUT it is not required. If a problem occurs wiith a non licensed oil you just proivide the data from the oil mfg showing it meets/exceeds the OEM oil spec and you are good.

I have had more than one rep from new car mfg's say this to me( I worked in the auto field for many years both dealer and aftermarket and dealt with a lot of car mfg's ). API is an independant organization and thus a car mfg can require certification with no Magnuson-Moss ramifications. If they required that you only use oils licensed to meet their own oil spec it falls into the Magnuson-Moss act area dealing with a car mfg can not require you to only use OE parts unless they provide them for free.

Regardless of where the truth actually falls the bottom line for as long as I have been into auto's is API is a must but meets/exceeds works for the OE oil spec when it comes to warranty. You also need to use the correct viscosity and change it within the max allowed for time interval.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back