Oil and Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted in another thread a question of how long can you go between oil changes on Mobil 1, which I have in my current car, and Valvoline Durablend Semi-synthetic which I had in my previous car.

Let me explain a bit about the question.

This forum gets lot's of "what would you recommend for....." type questions.

Any answer you get should be taken with a grain of salt, in my opinion.

There are three factors.
1: Engine manufacturers " recommendations ". And maybe waranty considerations if your vehicle is within it's warranty period.

2: Oils. While all oils blended today meet vehicle manufacturers "spec" ( do you know of any that doesn't at your local part store? ) each brand has properties that give the consumer a choice.

3: Filters. Again, every filter made by US companies meets or exceeds OEM specifications.
One can argue about how good or poor those specs are but that is why consumers are given a choice as to various "properties" or differences in construction. A filters job is to plug the hole so you don't leak oil everywhere and filter the oil. The level of protection ( how good it filters) is a consumers choice.

So back to Mobil 1 and Valvoline Durablend.

Having worked in the filter industry since 1982, having sat through various Oil company presentations ( Mobil, Valvoline, Shell, Chevron, Citgo to name a few and did a training seminar at Valvolines headquarters in Ashland, KY), i've been to the county fair and hog calling contest.

People in here can talk from personal experiences. And that is fine for their personal situation. As no two individuals or vehicles are the same, no two results will be the same.

When I used Valvoline Durablend 5W-30 in my 1996 Taurus I routinely changed oil over 9,000 miles.
My last 3 oil changes were in reverse order: 9009, 9184, 9660. My oil did not break down as the report came back " The condition of the oil is acceptable for the time in service".

On my 2003 Taurus my first oil change on genuine Ford oil was at 2,300 miles. I then added Mobil 1 0W-20 and went 9198 miles. I received a report that "the oil viscosity is higher than normal". Which concerned me so I called the lab and inquired. Due to my working for Champ, I talked to the lab manager and he personally reran the test to confirm. His report, as he ran extra tests also said... "the TAN** level is at the top end of the recommended limit". In other words my oil was at the breakdown stage.

So that leaves the question begging, why on semi synthetic oil could I go 9,000+ miles with no problems and when I went to the "premium" synthetic oil I couldn't get 9,000 miles? My driving habits were no different.

Obviously two different engines and two different oils.

But being one of the few who routinely does oil analysis every oil change I am able to determine for my situation what I can and can't do. But what I also can not do is tell you what you can do. I do not know what conditions you drive under, if you've been religious with your oil changes, do you use oil anaylsis, does your vehicle burn oil and you need to top off between oil changes, the total miles on your vehicle, etc.

Which is why OEM's "recommend" oil change intervals.

Nowhere on the Mobil 1 quart bottle does it mention how many miles one can go between oil changes.

On the Valvoline Semi-synthetic it says " Change your oil every 3 months or 3,000 miles for maximium protection"

So for those engine with 5,000 mile or 10,000 mile change intervals can you use Valvoline? Do you no longer have "maximum" protection after 3,000 miles? Would Mobil 1 last the 10,000 mile change recommendation, it didn't for me. (And btw, I still am using Mobil 1.)

I think I remember Turbo Jim stating his Toyota had a recommended "normal" oil change interval of 10,000 miles. He changes his oil near every 3,000 miles. Yet he still had sludge and did repair work on the engine which has over 100,000 miles on it. What he wondered was; what would have happend if he followed Toyota's recommendation of 10,000 miles? How much extra expense would he have incurred with maintenance?

So the choice ultimately boils down to the consumer what filter to use, what oil to use, and what works best for them.

TAN**
Total Acid Number:
A titration method designed to indicate the relative acidity in a lubricant. The acid number is used as a guide to follow the oxidative degeneration of an oil in service. Oil changes are often indicated when the TAN value reaches a predetermined level for a given lubricant and application.

Filterguy: Your post is interesting. The only thing that would possibly explain the Mobil 1 not being able to go 9k is that new engine was still breaking in (from 2300 to 9200 miles would still create much break in 'debris' thus taxing the M1). I bet that if your 03' Taurus had the same mileage as your 96'the Mobil 1 would easily handle 9k.

It would seem alot of factors are involved in extended drains .Even though filters meet and exceed ,some are better than others. I like oils with high add packages. A uoa is necessary to extend oil changes.

Let me clarify a few things about my oil changes;

On the 1996 Taurus, the last three oil changes were from 97,814 to 125,667 miles on the odometer. Obviously a sludge bucket..lol

For the 2003 Taurus, I bought it used. It had 7585 miles on it. So my first oil change was at 9585 miles. Then I ran the 9198 miles with Mobil 1 and it had , at that time, 18783 total miles. Currently I am at just over 31,300 and will be changing oil again soon. I'm about pushing 7K between the last change.

quote:

Originally posted by Filter guy:
do you know of any that doesn't at your local part store?

I found yellow bottles of Golden State that are API SA rated for 99 cents. I wonder how many unsuspecting comsumers buy it to top off their car...

Fg,

Your post makes absolute sense, but were you to insist that everyone make scientific responses based on empirical data relevant to the specific situation (auto make, driving style/conditions, climate, etc) the number of posts would drop to about 5% of what they are now, people would lose interest in the site and it would die or at least languish greatly (breathe now). SO, maybe we ought to have a caveat for those who don't realize that this board is not made up--for the most part--of tribologists who have a database ON YOUR CAR, stating, "The responses you get here are predominantly opinion, and are not based on a trained analyst giving 'scientific' analysis OF YOUR SPECIFIC SITUATION, so use them accordingly." I think most people understand that and are willing to engage here anyway. I will also tell you that I believe that beyond certain basics about lubrication, you could get 100 trained tribologists/analysts to participate in this board and you would still get 50 different recommendations, OK maybe only 10 or 12, for each question asked.

pscholte..all true.

What I was attempting to do is for those consumers who pop in and out of this board to hopefully have them stop and THINK for themselves about their own situation.

Now most who participate in here on a frequent basis are, and i'm probably not stretching to far out on a limb, more conscientious with how they change oil and use a filter and therefore most likley a bit of a different kettle of fish than those who just want a quick answer.

That and there are no absolutes..
wink.gif

I think your observations are very relevant. We have people here who try to preach that 3K OCI's are totally obsolete for everyone. Yet, I am sure that there are many individual circumstances that would still warrant short milage intervals. It's hard to make blanket statements regarding city drivers in Texas vs. country drivers in Ontario, one driving a BMW, the other a Yugo.

Off topic somewhat, but my Chrysler manual states that if one chooses to use synthetic oils, you should still follow the 3K/6K OCI schedules based on driving style.

Jonny Z

"I found yellow bottles of Golden State that are API SA rated for 99 cents. I wonder how many unsuspecting comsumers buy it to top off their car..."

I saw the same oil in a Chevron station the other day. It had a warning that said something to the effect of not to use in modern cars. Only good for cars circa. 1930!!! What a shame !!!

FilterGuy, What kind of filters do you run on your cars?

I used to use AC Duraguard Gold until AC in their infinite wisdom pulled the plug on the product line for all except a few GM part numbers.

I have used Super Tech for close to 2 years.

Currently that means an E-core for my engine.
-----------------------------------------------

I just changed oil this week. And again sent in an oil analysis.

FAO: Lubeowner..

I saved the filter..awaiting your confirmation to cut open my Super Tech E-core so that pictures can be posted.

I didn't know Valvoline bashing on here was a sport..lol. I stay out of the oil forum because that's not what I "know" as much about. That's for the chemists.

I never thought about Valvoline being anything other than a quality oil. I used oil analysis to work up to 9,000 + miles and stayed there because pushing to 10 or 11 might have went to far and I was a happy camper at 9+ because the results came back fine.

Like you say, for my application it worked fine. I have no qualms about recommending it, nor Mobil 1. But as with what I did, use oil anaylsis and let that be your guide..

quote:

Originally posted by Filter guy:
pscholte..all true.

What I was attempting to do is for those consumers who pop in and out of this board to hopefully have them stop and THINK for themselves about their own situation.

Now most who participate in here on a frequent basis are, and i'm probably not stretching to far out on a limb, more conscientious with how they change oil and use a filter and therefore most likley a bit of a different kettle of fish than those who just want a quick answer.

That and there are no absolutes..
wink.gif

I absolutely agree...... Would your customers pay extra to up grade oil brand or filters?

Filter guy is it possible that the Durablend is actually a very good oil that apparently performed above expectaions, at least for your application? I realize Valvoline bashing is almost a sport here at BITOG but it seems that multiple runs over 9K is pretty good results.

Filter Guy, I really like your info on this thread about your oil change intervals. May I ask, Does time play a factor (6-months) or is it just mileage? Just curious how long it takes you to rack up 9,000 miles? Thank You.. Rob

Good question..Here's the answer...

Changed oil after 2300 miles ( my first oil change to get rid of the Motocraft oil and switch to Mobil 1) 5/25/04

Went 9198 miles, changed on 11/10/04

Went 5825 miles, changed 4/10/05

Now have gone 6770, changed 07/27/05

After my poor report on the acidity level of Mobil 1 from the 11/10/04 sample, I decided to back down the amount of miles and try to determine how long I can safely go. As one can see I am increasing my miles between changes. If this one comes back fine then i'll go to near 7,500 miles next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back