Oil and filter for my sister's Corolla

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
My sister bought a low-mileage 2021 or 22 Corolla last year. It is one of those certified used cars that Toyota, and other manufacturers sell.

It's now time for her first oil change, and here are the details of her situation.

She lives in one of the boroughs in NYC. She doesn't drive much .... 2,000 miles this past year and she doesn't see that changing very much. She's retired, so there's no daily commute, and the car is used for mostly short trips and drives of less than 20 miles or so. She plans to keep the car forever ... she kept her last Corolla for 24 years.

I'm recommending once a year OCIs. My suggestions to her are M1 EP 5W-30 or M1 FS 0W-40. As for a filter, the Fram Ultra seems to be a good choice as does the Royal Purple.

Neither she nor I are interested in saving $$$ on oil changes. In other words, for a once a year change, the cost is inconsequential and is not really a consideration.

For her driving scenario, would you recommend the 5W-30 or the 0W-40. And are the filter choices I suggested still considered OK?

I would recommend neither. This is a great situation to stay with exactly what the factory recommends, which is 0W20 if the car is of the earlier model year anyway. She is not in a superwarm climate, and as you tell it, leaves the car unused for long periods, then has short drives. Since cold, dry starts are the name of the game, what possible rationale is there for using a 5W anything oil? In the same vein, what constitutes the need for an XW40 oil? These Toyota engines thrive on fairly regular changes and on the factory suggestions. That you are best advised to "thicken-up" before you even start, for an OCI of 2,000 miles, makes no sense. You can use any name brand, but think that Mobil 1 is a great direction. I noticed that OEM Toyota filters can be sourced at Walmart, which would be great. The filters you have suggested are certainly okay. Best wishes.

My sister bought a low-mileage 2021 or 22 Corolla last year. It is one of those certified used cars that Toyota, and other manufacturers sell.

... .

For her driving scenario, would you recommend the 5W-30 or the 0W-40. And are the filter choices I suggested still considered OK?
Who is going to do the service? Not you or her I would guess.
Just Send it to Toyota or a good garage. Long Island has a big car culture, there should be some good mechanics around.

Use toyota filter and whatever is on the oil fill cap - if it's 0w16 use 0w20.

No 30 or 40 grades needed! Don't BITOG the car to death :)

In retrospect, she would have been ripe for a little E car runabout if she could find a place to plug in.

I'd probably take it to Toyota. Don't they rotate tires, check fluids, etc?
If I did the service myself, I would use Toyota filters and probably M1 0w20.

@Shel_B bring it to me in LG and I will do it for you. This way your Corolla gets a good freeway run!
I keep plenty of Toyota supplies on hand.

Daughter’s 2020 Corolla SE states 0W20 oil on the fill cap . I have used M1 0W20 EP with a Fram Ultra oil filter every 5K miles / 6 months . I use M1 5W30 EP in my Kia / Hyundai vehicles but as much as I would like to standardize on oil weight - I have stayed the course with M1 0W20 EP as again , Toyota recommends 0W20 weight oil for the Corolla . If you change your own oil the M1 0W20 EP can be found at WM for $26 per jug making it a great buy for a short tripper vehicle holding up well to oxidation . The M1 EP oils are not just great for extended miles - but extended time as well .

+1 to use factory spec oil and whatever the dealer has in bulk. What are you going to gain with your plan to go 5-40 or 5-30? Also when you ask the dealerships to install non-standard oil, you may or may not actually get it in the sump. Sometimes they'll put it on the order just to appease you.

Last edited:
I agree with Jeff. If you aren't worried about cost take it into Toyota once a year and call it a day. No need for a heavier oil here. Those 1.8L engines are excellent.

I'm assuming she's not changing her own oil. I would just have the shop change it with whatever they have in their bulk tank when she goes for her annual safety inspection.
And why are you assuming that?

I agree with Jeff. If you aren't worried about cost take it into Toyota once a year and call it a day. No need for a heavier oil here. Those 1.8L engines are excellent.
That wasn't the only engine available for the Corolla in 2021-22

+1 to use factory spec oil and whatever the dealer has in bulk. What are you going to gain with your plan to go 5-40 or 5-30? Also when you ask the dealerships to install non-standard oil, you may or may not actually get it in the sump. Sometimes they'll put it on the order just to appease you.
Using "whatever the dealer has in bulk" is neither her preference nor mine.

She doesn't use a dealership. Nor would she just ask a shop to put a certain oil in the vehicle. She would provide the oil and the filter.

I'd probably take it to Toyota. Don't they rotate tires, check fluids, etc?
If I did the service myself, I would use Toyota filters and probably M1 0w20.

@Shel_B bring it to me in LG and I will do it for you. This way your Corolla gets a good freeway run!
I keep plenty of Toyota supplies on hand.
Sis doesn't use the dealerships. She either uses her own mechanic, with whom she's had a relationship for many years, or turns the wrench herself. For years (as mood and circumstance permit) she's changed her oil and has done some of her own car repairs.

She's in NY, so i's not likely she'd bring the car to you, but maybe I can take you up on the offer with the Camry. I've wanted to see how that extractor works.

Using "whatever the dealer has in bulk" is neither her preference nor mine.

She doesn't use a dealership. Nor would she just ask a shop to put a certain oil in the vehicle. She would provide the oil and the filter.

You asked for advice and received it. It wasn't clear that you would not be using a service department in the original post hence all of the confusion in this thread.

Who is going to do the service? Not you or her I would guess.
Just Send it to Toyota or a good garage. Long Island has a big car culture, there should be some good mechanics around.

Use toyota filter and whatever is on the oil fill cap - if it's 0w16 use 0w20.

No 30 or 40 grades needed! Don't BITOG the car to death :)

In retrospect, she would have been ripe for a little E car runabout if she could find a place to plug in.
That could be a poor guess. She's been doing some of the minor work on her own cars for years, including oil changes when mood and circumstances permit.

Back