Oil and filter for a neglected car

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you've got a car that might not have its oil changed in a year, best go with an "Extended" synthetic and great oil filter, just to be sure. Not that it couldn't do it on canola oil, but just to be sure use the best.

Maybe put a bug in mom's ear to ask friends if the have a son or neighbor that would give it a quick look over every month or so, checking fluid levels, tires, ect. If cars don't rust there like they do here, simple maintainance should give many miles of service. It is a lot harder if you have to play catch up on a neglected car.

Walmart makes next to nothing on oil. I use to stock shelf's and they give you this scan gun. It let's you check how many should be on shelf price paid and selling price. Never really seen more then $0.20-.30 on a quart they make about a dollar on any 5 gallon jug. Went into advanced auto once and it kills me to spend $35 on a jug of oil knowing I can get the same stuff at Walmart with a $6 off coupon for less then $15.

Go to Walmart. Get Mobil1 synthetic with Extended performance and a Fram Ultra filter.
Good for 10-12k miles or so.

The key will be somebody keeping it topped off with oil while they are keeping her topped off with gasoline. If she burns oil, it will need replenishment. Good luck with that part of the deal.

Fram Toughguard or Purolator PureOne oil filter.
Check and see if an oversized filter will fit.

Oil - one quart of either Rotella T6 or Mobil1 Turbo Diesel 5W-40, the rest a house or name brand 5W-30 full synthetic.
NAPA is $3.49 every so often...
Lots of detergents in the 5W-40...

Check antifreeze, Dexcool additive package has a tendency to fade after 100K or ten years...
Tranny fluid is the other I would change...
Brakes already mentioned...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
say what you want but gm makes good engines

They've made some good engines. BTW, the Vibe GT has a Toyota engine.

Originally Posted By: toneydoc
Go to Walmart. Get Mobil1 synthetic with Extended performance and a Fram Ultra filter.
31.gif
31.gif

Good for 10-12k miles or so.

The key will be somebody keeping it topped off with oil while they are keeping her topped off with gasoline. If she burns oil, it will need replenishment. Good luck with that part of the deal.

In a car with that number of k's stay with what has been used but reduce OCI from 10k to 5k.

Last edited:
Program reminders in to her phone to change oil every six months or so, and keep running supertech. Program your phone too, and give her a friendly reminder call a week after her notice.

Why not make it a point to go visit your Momma from time to time & just change the oil & filter at decent intervals. Im "sure" your Momma would love seeing you!! Life is short buddy, spending time with loved ones is crucial!!

Originally Posted By: thorromig
Why not make it a point to go visit your Momma from time to time & just change the oil & filter at decent intervals. Im "sure" your Momma would love seeing you!! Life is short buddy, spending time with loved ones is crucial!!

For truth. A car is just a possession. Heck even take her to the 1hour stealership lube specials and take her to lunch while THEY do the work. (See thread on paying $15 for an honest shop to do an oil change)

Last edited:

"BITOG: Bringing people together, 1 quart at a time."

Originally Posted By: boundarylayer

"BITOG: Bringing people together, 1 quart at a time."

LOL

Any access to high mileage synthetics? That is what I would use if I had the chance.

I wouldn't run an engine flush, I once encountered someone who did that to a poorly maintained Toyota RAV4. All engine sludge broke loose at the same time, clogged the oil pump screen, and destroyed the engine. That is the same story many other people have heard, or seen.

Alright everyone. A guy from church bought a new Honda Accord. He gave me a 5 quart jug of WalMart SuperTech high mileage 5w-30 that he bought but no longer needed. I used that new unopened oil and a Fram Tough Guard filter. The oil that came out of the car had a smell of gas. It also was foaming up while draining into the drain pan. I have never seen that before. The car had a Bocsh oil filter on it. The clinking I heard is coming from the struts. The rubber isolater is dry rotted and cracked. The car has a 6 speed manual in it so I changed the gear lube according to the manual and put in a synthetic 75w-90 like the manual said. The car has a k&n air filter in the stock air box so that was cleaned and reoiled. The tires are all pumped up and I will put a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in it when she fills it up.
To address some other ideas listed above....her husband is a jerk and in a way she is afraid of him. Yes she should take the car to a shop, but he is controling so that leads to issues. The reason I do not really go and visit more is over a year a go...he acused me of stealing a firearm. He called the cops and started all this mess. The firearm was found by the police in the back of his safe. Needless to say there are issues. You do not call the police on family.
I have forgiven him and continue to pray for him. Meanwhile my mom and her car suffer. My mom lives about 300 miles away so just stopping by is difficult at times. Thanks for all of the help.

uh, sorry to hear about the family issues. in short, i also vote for reducing the oci to 5k unless you upgrade the oil going in. its obvious that engine is stout but it can only take so much punishment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back