Oil and Breaking in a new engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. I just got a 2006 GMC Sierra with the 5.3 V8. I was curious to when you need to do the first oil change, since the motor is breakin in and brand new. I gonna use Pennzoil 10W-30 dino. I plan on a 5K OCI in the long run. But when do I need to dump this factory stuff? Thanks

quote:

Originally posted by GMC_Z71:
Hey guys. I just got a 2006 GMC Sierra with the 5.3 V8. I was curious to when you need to do the first oil change, since the motor is breakin in and brand new. I gonna use Pennzoil 10W-30 dino. I plan on a 5K OCI in the long run. But when do I need to dump this factory stuff? Thanks

You are going to get a lot of different answers..

I have the same truck with the 4.8l (same engine shorter stroke) and I did my first oil change at 1k.

Did the same with my moms 2002 Silverado.

Both are doing excellent and the oil had a lot of "glitter" on both first changes. The Factory filter was pretty clean on both.

My UOAs with Pennzoil have been excellent. I've run both 5w-30 and 10w-30.

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

I'm a glitter-getter, too. Change that first fill early (yes, even in my Hondas, much to the chagrin of some Honda-heads) to get rid of those flakes, then go to "normal" OCI's.

I'm still very old school on purging the finer manufacturing and break in contamination. I'll dump at 500, 1500 and 3000. Likely unnecessary today, but old habits die hard.

Yeah, me too. I got yelled at for it in one of the pages, but I did mine @ 100, 500, 2500. At 5000, I went M1/VSOT/Amsoil filter, and there I'll sit until 12,500. My car was a 2005 sitting around for nearly a year before I bought it new, and the oil and coolant (replaced with G-05/distilled the first week) factory fills were less than appetizing.

Change away, I say. But that's just me..

Although I know that you can go the distance on the factory fill, I still have a hard time doing it.

The habit I've fallen into on a car that has a 5k oil change interval is to change the first time at 3k, again at 6k, then at 10k with a 5k interval after that. The first change gets better than average oil, depending on what's on sale. At least a syn blend and possibly full syn.

So I start off a little agressive and then settle into the factory schedule.

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
Unless the factory manual spec's otherwise, just go your standard interval eg. 5k or 7.5k. My only retraction would be to go sooner if it looks rough...otherwise, it's a waste of oil....especially those changing it 3x by 5k...ughhh

I agree. You won't hurt it changing it sooner... just a waste of money.

quote:

Originally posted by Big Jim:
. . . The first change gets better than average oil, depending on what's on sale. At least a syn blend and possibly full syn. . . .

I do the opposite, as the sometimes reduced friction of a full syn may extend or retard extended break in. On a particularly high stress engine I may use a semisyn, but it's conventional otherwise.

I change out early not because the lubricant is overworked or depleted that soon, but simply to purge out the finer, non-filterable contaminants from it.

Notwithstanding the claims that you can use a full syn from day one, I'll wait to 3k before the change.

Unless the factory manual spec's otherwise, just go your standard interval eg. 5k or 7.5k. My only retraction would be to go sooner if it looks rough...otherwise, it's a waste of oil....especially those changing it 3x by 5k...ughhh

You only get one chance at a first oil change.
So, even though you probably won't need it, I'd change it at 500 miles, or 1,000 at most.
What's a few dollars more, at this point?

My personal experience is that differentials shed a LOT of fur at first, transmissions seem to be much cleaner. If you were going to do only one, I'd suggest it be the differential. But, I do my manual transmission, too. My auto transmission has a nice spin-on filter, I'm going to change it early, but leave the fluid in...lots of magnets on the drain pan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back