Oil advice for high mileage Toyota 4Runner 4.7 V8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frequent lurker here...

I just bought a high mileage 2006 4Runner 4.7 V8 (235,000) that is in immaculate shape. I know that's a lot of miles, but I just sold my 98 4Runner and it had 250,000 miles and ran like a top. I am hoping to get good results with this one.

The guy who sold it kept incredible records of the vehicle. Every thing he had done he has a receipt for back to when it had 90,000 miles. He was having the oil changed every 5k with Valvoline Maxlife High Mileage 5W-30. He said it is still above the add line when he gets it changed, and I believe him because its' got almost 5k on it now and it's well above the add mark.

Now I'm a Pennzoil guy, run it in everything I have. Pennz Platinum in the newer stuff, YB Pennz on my older 4runner. Is there ANY reason to change to Pennzoil or just stay with the Valvoline Maxlife High Mileage? I personally think that I shouldn't mess with success and just stay with what he's used.

Recommendations?

I'm a Pennzoil fan myself. But in this case I might just go against the grain and stick with what worked for the prior owner.

Should I stay with a high mileage oil? There are zero oil leaks right now, would going to a conventional oil potentially cause leaks? I do like the fact that the Maxlife is a blend and it's super cheap.

Originally Posted By: crimedog
Should I stay with a high mileage oil? There are zero oil leaks right now, would going to a conventional oil potentially cause leaks? I do like the fact that the Maxlife is a blend and it's super cheap.

In a healthy engine there should be no problem changing to a regular oil, dino, blend, or synthetic. However if the HM oil is reducing oil consumption, or helping with leaks you might notice some consumption and leaking to occur. Once again, only if the HM oil was actually needed in the first place.

Even in a perfectly fine lower mileage vehicle simply changing brands can cause a bit of oil use for a few OCI's and then stabilize.

Last edited:
I would stick with the Maxlife. It has worked this long. No doubt the Pennzoil is a good oil but why change what has worked all this time

If it likes what the previous owner is giving it, I'd keep giving it the same thing.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
If it likes what the previous owner is giving it, I'd keep giving it the same thing.

I think that's what I'm going to do...no reason to change what has been working and from what I can find the Maxlife is great oil.

Thanks all.

Agree with sticking with the max life.

If you spring a leak or have a oil related problem 10K miles down the road running max life well..the engine was just due.
If it does it 10K after your switch then of course it was the switch that caused it. Completely illogical but still in the back if your mind.

Maxlife is a good low cost oil so there is no financial penalty to use it. It would be different if he was running and swore by $20/qt unicorn tears oil then ok look for something cheaper.

You're a pennzoil man because in your mind it is better than the other oils and trust it. Well you can now trust the Max Life as it has a proven history in your new truck.

That is not high mileage for the Toyota 2UZ-FE V8, which is perhaps the most reliable, durable V8 Toyota built.

Now when it gets to over 400,000 miles, I would say that is a lot of miles. These engines tend to not burn oil between oil changes. By the way the truck specifies conventional engine oil, 5W-30. These engines are not picky about motor oil at all. You will be looking at a timing belt change at 270,000 miles and then every 90,000 after that.

Originally Posted By: crimedog
Originally Posted By: Leo99

I think that's what I'm going to do...no reason to change what has been working and from what I can find the Maxlife is great oil.

Thanks all.

Smart move.

Don’t fix what ain’t broke. Valvoline ML is great oil. Nice rig. Always felt the newer 4runners deserve a V8 like the previous generation!

update the diff fluids, grease the drive shafts, go through the suspension bushing and links new shocks and appropriate premium tires...baby Land Cruiser.

Those are great trucks! Given the success with ML, I agree with others that sticking with it is a great choice. ML products are solid.

However, if you prefer Pennzoil it is also great stuff and should work well. I really like the Platinum HM, which virtually stopped oil consumption in my Cad 3.6. This engine is a know oil burner, even within the first year or two (according to the Cad service rep). I haven't tried ML in that car but it would probably be okay, too.

Also, if it is an auto trans i would consider ML ATF (assuming Valvoline recommends it for your application). I currently run it in my Cad and it shifts much better than the DexVI that was in previously (I have a previous thread on my shift issues and ATF).

To me, if an older Toyota ain't using oil or leaking it from easy to replace seals(cam/crank/valve cover/distributor O-ring), you'll be fine with whatever oil you pick.

I've got bulk ServicePro in my parent's LS430(identical to the 2UZ-FE in your 4Runner) and Castrol Magnatec in their Sienna. I don't need to use HM in those yet. My Prius uses HM oil to help with oil consumption which is fairly common with Toyota I4s. I just run whatever Wal-Mart or Amazon has on sale in the Sienna or LS.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: nthach

I've got bulk ServicePro in my parent's LS430(identical to the 2UZ-FE in your 4Runner)

Not exactly identical. There's the difference in displacement, and that the 3UZ-FE has an aluminum block and heads, where as the 2UZ-FE is a cast iron block, with aluminum heads. There are other differences too. But yes, the 2UZ-FE is considered to be a very durable, reliable engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back