Oil advice for high mileage Toyota 4Runner 4.7 V8

Status
Not open for further replies.
That 2UZ-FE is one of the best engines ever made. I've worked on hundreds at Lexus/Toyota in my career & the water pump is the only major part that fails after a 90,000 miles or so. Any 5w30 will be great

You can search for a million mile Tundra. These are remarkably durable engines. Greasing your double cardan may cause some confusion. It is counterintuitive in regards to which zerk gets moly (I simply use the same moly-free grease on all of them)

I have been using Royal Purple HPS 5W30 on mine (165,000 miles) and it does really well. I used Pennsoil Ultra (SM and SN) before that. I'm now switching to Amsoil Signature 5W30 now. It has never burned any oil nor given me any problems. The oil never even looks particularly black or smells odd when I drain at 8Kish. I just got the timing belt done again and the idler pulleys too. It actually seems that the engine is low-revving and extremely easy on oil so it all depends on the OCI- any oil will work well if you follow an appropriate OCI. I am a bit of a stickler with oil, as many here are.

I am not sure if a high-mileage oil does anything besides condition the seals. Maybe that is important at your mileage but in that case, I'd use the M1 HM. Otherwise, use Pennzoil. I went off Pennzoil since they discontinued my favorite (Ultra) and that may be a bit irrational. I don't use Valvoline because I think Pennzoil, RP, Amsoil, M1, and even Castrol make better oils for longer OCIs past 5K-7K. Rational? Maybe not but I'm tired of geeking out on oil and am sticking with my beliefs. I have other stuff to obsess over now.

Great vehicle, by the way. That V8's AWD is quite good and easily as good as my Subaru was but I can put on far better tires for offroad forays. If my 4R dies, I'll likely get a Lexus 4.6 or 4.7. The new 4Runner's V6 is pretty weak and leaves me uninspired in the mountains. They drive really well though. other than needing 20 more HP and 40 more ft/lbs of torque.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back