oil : $250 a barrel ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yeah we know all about the technology and how easy of a process they have been able to make it. We have a program up here from Alberta called "Energy TV" and they talk about it all the time.

They wash the sands with water to separate the oil from the sand then they separate the water from the oil, then they follow the normal process as other processing centers would.

wink.gif

The point is we have 100 years to find a new solution not the 20-30 that they think we have. And that's if we don't find any new oil sources in the meantime.
wink.gif

Fear = Consumerism = Demand = Speculation/Pricing = Profitability.

Quote:
No but I believe we have much more than they are letting on because it's good for profitability.

I believe that they over state the petroleum supply because it's profitable.

Corporations don't care if it runs out. They want their money now. When it runs out, they will substitute whatever is available to whomever can pay for it. They don't care if it's unsustainable. They're not in the "eternally habitable environment" business.

What you don't want is your sheep stampeding in a panic. We'll never know the reality of such matters until it is undeniable in our daily lives.

We live in exponential times.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
The point is we have 100 years to find a new solution not the 20-30 that they think we have. And that's if we don't find any new oil sources in the meantime.
wink.gif

Fear = Consumerism = Demand = Speculation/Pricing = Profitability.

You should seriously look at what you guys have to do and what the results are of getting oil out of sand and clay. Moving 4 tons of earth to get 1 barrel of oil is not incredibly efficient. It takes a very large amount of energy and water, and generates an impressive amount of waste.

That 100 years is based on some fuzzy speculative numbers, Steve. It's not going to be 100 years. Even if it's true, it's 100 years worth at whatever rate the demand goes to.

Right now we're 5% of the global population consuming 25% of the global production. Figure that out to some eventual shift in distribution as we get poorer and others come closer to parity with us. Imagine our share dropping to 5% ..and realizing that things just aren't going to be the same ..in any stretch of the imagination. You know that they're not going to find 950% more resources, and research just isn't looking like it's producing Mr. Fusion any time soon (enough).

Be thankful you've got a strategic reserve that can be developed and exploited. Just don't think it's money in the bank, so to speak. We've had a few lessons recently on what people perceived as "storage of wealth and productivity" ..and it was pretty much wiped out in a few years. It isn't much different for natural finite resources either.

People like that idiot CEO need to keep their mouth shut.

Lets not start a panic and start raising oil prices until it is warranted.

Originally Posted By: MarkC
You should seriously look at what you guys have to do and what the results are of getting oil out of sand and clay. Moving 4 tons of earth to get 1 barrel of oil is not incredibly efficient. It takes a very large amount of energy and water, and generates an impressive amount of waste.

I'm sure it's just as efficient to drill for it in the middle east and then boat it over to North America!

Plus the water is recycled and they reuse it over and over and over again and before it is released it is back to city style water so as not to hurt the eco system.

It costs Saudi Arabia $2 a barrel to get their oil. And it's "good" oil that doesn't have to be messed with much further. Extracting and upgrading bitumen from oil sands has a break even point of about $80 a barrel, last time I looked.
Oil sand production uses as much natural gas in a day to heat 3 million houses.
Tailings ponds that hold the waste water are known to leak, probably to to the tune of about 45,000 gallons a day, into the Athabasca River.
You really should listen to Suncor, etc., with more than a bit of skepticism.

Nationalize oil. Control production and price. All citizens become shareholders. The alternative is to remain a slave to 'Big Oil'.

Originally Posted By: ravenchris
Nationalize oil. Control production and price. All citizens become shareholders. The alternative is to remain a slave to 'Big Oil'.
We did that and then elected a stupid party into power that sold it to the private sector.
smirk2.gif

Why not,it seems to be working out fine for GM.

Originally Posted By: Samilcar

Why not,it seems to be working out fine for GM.

LOL.gif

Nationalize ?

Dumbest thing we could do !

If you think big corporations are bad news big government is far worse !

Government is the biggest corporation of all and it never has to payout to it's stock holders anything more than excuses.
27.gif

Now that is the funniest thing I have seen in a while.

PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!

Sorry, but I couldn't help myself
LOL.gif

I think that this is the price we have to pay for the growth of our civiliazation. There is no way around it, we either figure out a way to sustain our growth, or our civilization will collapse eventually. Just like so many in the past.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bruno
Nationalize ?

Dumbest thing we could do !

If you think big corporations are bad news big government is far worse !

You sound like you think there's a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back