OG Fram Synthetic Media Question

Since Fram is no longer using their OG "pink" media, what happened to it? Does anyone know of another filter company it's being outsourced to or did it just go the way of the Dodo? It seemed to be a slightly better media than what Champ is using for the current Amsoil, Fram Endurance & Royal Purple filters. Don't know how it compares to the blue Donaldson Syntec media (that media works great in combustion turbine applications btw).

Just finishing up a night shift & had a late night question pop into my head that a forum search & browser search didn't answer.

Since Fram is no longer using their OG "pink" media, what happened to it? Does anyone know of another filter company it's being outsourced to or did it just go the way of the Dodo? It seemed to be a slightly better media than what Champ is using for the current Amsoil, Fram Endurance & Royal Purple filters. Don't know how it compares to the blue Donaldson Syntec media (that media works great in combustion turbine applications btw).

Just finishing up a night shift & had a late night question pop into my head that a forum search & browser search didn't answer.
Fram decided to downgrade the media on the Ultra that used to be "Pink" color before. They use a cellulose base now on the Ultra with synthetic blown over it. To add insult to injury they've removed the wire backing as well. The new Endurance line has Synthetic media that is usually white when used in larger amounts vs some other "Blended" media along w/wire backing.

Fram decided to downgrade the media on the Ultra that used to be "Pink" color before. They use a cellulose base now on the Ultra with synthetic blown over it. To add insult to injury they've removed the wire backing as well. The new Endurance line has Synthetic media that is usually white when used in larger amounts vs some other "Blended" media along w/wire backing.
Yeah I have a decent stockpile of the Amsoil & FE filters for all 3 of my vehicles.

Amsoil had disappointed me when they moved away from the Donaldson Syntec media. Figured I’d ask to see if anyone knew what became of the OG Fram pink media, hoping it wasn’t just used up then lost to the ether.

Yeah I have a decent stockpile of the Amsoil & FE filters for all 3 of my vehicles.

Amsoil had disappointed me when they moved away from the Donaldson Syntec media. Figured I’d ask to see if anyone knew what became of the OG Fram pink media, hoping it wasn’t just used up then lost to the ether.
Yeah, from what I've gathered the Donaldson Syntec was good media.

If you run a Toyota or Ford that has a 3/4-16 UN threaded filter mount, just go for the Donaldson. The P551132 is a sleeper filter that can be bought cheap in cases of 12 have a rating of 17 microns with Synteq media , I was quoted around 80 bucks before shipping from a distributor seller a few months ago, but they can be had for around 10 dollars give or take at Fleetpride. I ended up getting 9 of them locally.

Currently running one in the second half of my extended drain service, so far no real issues and the oil still looks clean on the dipstick and test paper.

I’ve never seen a non-Ultra that ran the pink media. If Jay Buckley was to be believed, it was superior to pretty much any other media, 50% @ 5 microns. Unfortunately I could never seem to get long life out of the Ultra cans, between Sure Grip flaking off & rusting, and even the paint falling off. I replaced an FPS one recently at 18 months old on the Corolla due to rust bubbles, so they’re not immune either…

I’ve never seen a non-Ultra that ran the pink media. If Jay Buckley was to be believed, it was superior to pretty much any other media, 50% @ 5 microns. Unfortunately I could never seem to get long life out of the Ultra cans, between Sure Grip flaking off & rusting, and even the paint falling off. I replaced an FPS one recently at 18 months old on the Corolla due to rust bubbles, so they’re not immune either…
I've never been a fan of the thin Fram cans. The FE seems to use the same thick can that Amsoil uses which is nice.

If you run a Toyota or Ford that has a 3/4-16 UN threaded filter mount, just go for the Donaldson. The P551132 is a sleeper filter that can be bought cheap in cases of 12 have a rating of 17 microns with Synteq media , I was quoted around 80 bucks before shipping from a distributor seller a few months ago, but they can be had for around 10 dollars give or take at Fleetpride. I ended up getting 9 of them locally.

Currently running one in the second half of my extended drain service, so far no real issues and the oil still looks clean on the dipstick and test paper.
Both my wife's Fusion(FE3614) & the Bronco(FE8A) use 3/4-16 threads. I'll have to look up that filter for the diameter for fitment. Thanks!!!

Both my wife's Fusion(FE3614) & the Bronco(FE8A) use 3/4-16 threads. I'll have to look up that filter for the diameter for fitment. Thanks!!!
P551132 crosses to the FE3614 / LF16011. Donaldson / Fleetguard does have a cross for the PH8A sized filters but different part number and huge.

A case of 12 goes for around 80+ shipping but that may vary depending what distributor you are buying from. Search by Attribute instead of by vehicle to find viable options.

I'd probably stick with the FE8A since the Donaldson cross might be more expensive for more or less the same filtration performance.

Attribute search Donaldson.jpg

The P169071 was a filter I had looked at a year or so ago as a possible 8A replacement. The 80psi limit & lack of ADBV eliminated it immediately from selection.

Pink media still alive and well in some Fram Titanium’s.

Nice, those are 2023 batch codes on the can. Another user reported months ago he got XG6607s with the good pink stuff as well.

Hard to believe there are OG Titaniums made in mid 2023 still on the shelves unless AAP has tons in the warehouses. No OGs left around here, too many people buying them.

I'll have to keep an eye out for them. Only have one AAP semi-close to my house or work(closer to work). Will need to drop in on a shorter training day (normally work 12+ hour shifts. Looks like walmart also carries them so will have to check there as well.

Thanks again (y)

^^^ Walmart doesn't sell the Titanium. Its only sold at AAP.

Clicking the link & then searching for all Fram Titanium filters, there's only one listed & it's out of stock:

1718761742079.jpg

Bummer as Walmart is FAR more convenient to get to than AAP. I only ever go into Walmart for oil or filters anyway lol.

Hard to believe there are OG Titaniums made in mid 2023 still on the shelves unless AAP has tons in the warehouses. No OGs left around here, too many people buying them.
Funny thing is I can’t find any made in 2024. Latest one I grabbed 166th day of 2023. I’ll keep buying them as long as I can. After that I guess it’s Microgard Select.

Last edited:
Back