OEM satin paint

AZjeff

$50 Site Donor 2023
Saw a Genesis ad on tv today and pretty sure one of the cars had satin finish paint. I can't remember the last time I saw a car on the road with OEM satin paint. On a resto-mod it seems ok but on a luxury SUV? What makes offer it today?

For whatever reason, finishing cars in a manner that can look like they're wearing only primer became a luxury marque option.

Perhaps it's akin to buying new jeans with pre-torn holes and rips. Popular with the younger folk, I guess.

I believe BMW and Mercedes may have offered it. Most cars you see with it are a wrap, like Xpel Stealth. No way am I paying $6,000 plus to wrap my truck, but apparently plenty of people do.

BMW at one point offerd a frost matte finish. It was a $5,000 option, and had to be washed with a special car wash soap. You had to sign off that you acknowledged that a regular car wash would damage the paint. Audi also offers a matte gray paint, not sure of the appeal.

BMW has their "Frozen" paint, MB has it is their Designo program, initially they look great but they are terrible to keep, no buffing, no polishing special washing care, impossible to touch up, extremely difficult to paint because it doesnt color match or blend well. The best thing to do with this paint is stay away from it.

@Trav, you answered what I was wondering, how you'd do anything with this paint.
They have special washing and cleaning solutions for this paint, if any damage eg scratches, bird dropping stains, etc you have a real problem. This paint can get real ratty looking in a short time.

I'm not a fan but on some parts it looks right.
I bought a gallon of Finish Line Satin and it was between semigloss and regular clear. Very disappointed. Decades ago people mixed in cornstarch to get a satin finish.

Back