Car insurance you can swap between vehicles?

I remember seeing ads in the past for a car insurance you could swap between vehicles using an app. So say you have 5 cars but only drive one at a time. If you wanted to drive car 1 today you select it in the app. If you want to drive car 3 tomorrow you select it. This way you dont have to have 5 cars on your insurance but you can select what car gets insured that day you drive it. Does anyone remember what company offered this?

I remember seeing ads in the past for a car insurance you could swap between vehicles using an app. So say you have 5 cars but only drive one at a time. If you wanted to drive car 1 today you select it in the app. If you want to drive car 3 tomorrow you select it. This way you dont have to have 5 cars on your insurance but you can select what car gets insured that day you drive it. Does anyone remember what company offered this?
... so how would the insurance company charge you the correct premium? Since each car on its own has its unique premium, or you do expect the insurance company to take a look at how much you drove each car and charge you an appropriate premium?

I don't see how that could work. Everything is based on statistics. It all differs from each vehicle driven.

In south Carolina if you take insurance off your car your supposed to turn in your plates. Maybe other states are different?

In south Carolina if you take insurance off your car your supposed to turn in your plates. Maybe other states are different?
Wow, at first I thought what BS and a bureaucratic mess, but it has to help catch and force skaters that drop insurance after buying tabs. It appears they use the digital connection with government and insurance company's the cops use.

@atikovi might be of help.

There are policies that cover you if you drive someone else's vehicle and they don't have insurance. Its called non owner car insurance.

You can be self insured. It typically requires having a CPA certify you have enough money and having it approved and registered by your state. You can "lose the farm" however.

New Hampshire does not require car insurance. Nor does it require seat belt use or motorcycle helmets.

The state symbol is a granite head. Describes the mentality there.

I am always wary of New Hampshire plate cars that are beaters. Likely to be uninsured.

That would be cool and is possible but it'll be expensive however those who have a need for such a thing should be able to afford it.

New Hampshire does not require car insurance. Nor does it require seat belt use or motorcycle helmets.

The state symbol is a granite head. Describes the mentality there.

I am always wary of New Hampshire plate cars that are beaters. Likely to be uninsured.
In New Jersey they require you to have un-under insured motorist coverage. That's what paid for my motorcycle, when a guy with minimum amount of property damage coverage hit me. To get a plate in NJ, you have to show you have $5,000 in property damage coverage. FYI, that won't pay to fix pretty much anything nowadays.,,,

My thoughts would be to insure the driver for liability, and insure the car for potential damage. You wouldn't need to insure a clunker.

In New Jersey they require you to have un-under insured motorist coverage.
I wish a lawmaker would explain this one.... Ohio requires liability insurance to cover any damage you do to the other driver. They then turn around and require that drivers have uninsured motorist coverage. 👍🏻

I looked into this about 40 years ago when I owned a LOT of cars. You can (could?) get such policies but they're intended for car dealerships and are expensive. The last time that I looked (in Va), in order to qualify as a car dealer you had to have a property that was used exclusively for the dealership (you could not work out of your home or farm) and it had have an office and restrooms (so no garden sheds). Basically the state was trying to make it impossible for anyone other than full time auto dealers to claim to be a dealer and get the benefits such as tags and insurance that they could swap between vehicles. I THINK Va also required that the "office" be open a minimum of 30 or 35 hours per week.

I don't know how other states operate or what Virginia requires now. If you really want to know about swapping insurance between cars, call your insurance agent and ask. I know that when I switch to another vehicle all I have to do is the call my agent and tell them to swap vehicles on my policy and they take care of it. It's not difficult but it's not something that something that you want to do, say every weekend.

If you set up a LLC, you could use dealer plates. Insurance transfers based on the plate and does not require a VIN. The policy simply states "ALL MAKES ALL MODELS". You can put the tag on any vehicle and it will be fully insured. I don't know how this works in jurisdictions that require vehicle inspections.

If you set up a LLC, you could use dealer plates. Insurance transfers based on the plate and does not require a VIN. The policy simply states "ALL MAKES ALL MODELS". You can put the tag on any vehicle and it will be fully insured. I don't know how this works in jurisdictions that require vehicle inspections.
In Minnesota you can't get a dealer license unless they first come out and see your brick and mortar place has the space for cars, has a public use bathroom and is in code for sales of cars in the city you are in. You just can't get a LLC and do what you are saying here. Too many hoops they have visually have see before you get a dealers license in Mn.

In Minnesota you can't get a dealer license unless they first come out and see your brick and mortar place has the space for cars, has a public use bathroom and is in code for sales of cars in the city you are in. You just can't get a LLC and do what you are saying here. Too many hoops they have visually have see before you get a dealers license in Mn.
Gotcha. Not entirely sure how it worked as I haven't done it myself, but I know someone who uses dealer tags on his vehicles for insurance as well as tax/registration purposes and he does not have a brick and mortar location to my knowledge. Guess it just depends on jurisdiction. I don't have nearly enough cars or money to justify the headache of trying learn how to game the system.

In Minnesota you can't get a dealer license unless they first come out and see your brick and mortar place
In Ohio, a person can only sell "X" number of vehicles per year and if they exceed that number, they have to become a dealer. Not sure what it entails but a physical store certainly isn't required.

I wish a lawmaker would explain this one.... Ohio requires liability insurance to cover any damage you do to the other driver. They then turn around and require that drivers have uninsured motorist coverage. 👍🏻
It's the same way in Jersey. Years ago you didn't need to have insurance to register your vehicle. So then, they decided to make you carry 5k in liability damage coverage. Thru the years they never updated the amount required, so they decided they couldn't force people to buy the upper amount of coverage, they made everyone get the un- under insured coverage. If I didn't have that coverage when I had my motorcycle accident, I would have been screwd. The thinking is , if the minimum is all someone can afford, they don't have the money to pay for better coverage. Suing them is a waste of time, You can;t get blood from a stone.,,,

Back