OEM pads and rotors vs Akebono legit question

Thanks O2. I called the dealership and was ready to schedule my appointment, but they have no front rotor's available. You don't know how long it would take to get them until you place the order. I also found out that the Honda OEM rotor's are not coated, that is something I really need/want being in Michigan. I would imagine you would also being in MA.
I was just going to go all OEM to avoid the hassle of trying to get things online etc. So now I think I am back to the Akebono combo's ugh.

Are you sure the OEM rotors are not coated? They definitely came coated for my HR-V.

The OE coating is the best out there in my opinion. I've got coated Raybestos on the rear and they don't look nearly as nice after a few years.

Are you sure the OEM rotors are not coated? They definitely came coated for my HR-V.

The OE coating is the best out there in my opinion. I've got coated Raybestos on the rear and they don't look nearly as nice after a few years.

Unless I'm mistaken, the part number for the front rotors for a 2015 pilot is 45251-STX-H01

When I look up the part number on eBay, it looks coated in the photos

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233447269491

1667495169128.jpg

Unless I'm mistaken, the part number for the front rotors for a 2015 pilot is 45251-STX-H01

When I look up the part number on eBay, it looks coated in the photos

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233447269491

View attachment 124384
Michael! Thank you for that!!! I don't know??! I asked the parts guy at the dealership when I initially made the appointment and he said they were
not coated, because Honda doesn't know what part of the US needs coated or non coated rotor's so they don't coat any of them:unsure:
That is why I backed out of them doing it, I sure don't need them rusting out any sooner then they are going to rust. I will check again! Thank You!

Thanks O2. I called the dealership and was ready to schedule my appointment, but they have no front rotor's available. You don't know how long it would take to get them until you place the order. I also found out that the Honda OEM rotor's are not coated, that is something I really need/want being in Michigan. I would imagine you would also being in MA.
I was just going to go all OEM to avoid the hassle of trying to get things online etc. So now I think I am back to the Akebono combo's ugh.
The centric rotors I got weren’t coated, but the hats and vanes were painted. Should help some in our winters up here, next time I may try coated rotors to see if their is a difference

Michael! Thank you for that!!! I don't know??! I asked the parts guy at the dealership when I initially made the appointment and he said they were
not coated, because Honda doesn't know what part of the US needs coated or non coated rotor's so they don't coat any of them:unsure:
That is why I backed out of them doing it, I sure don't need them rusting out any sooner then they are going to rust. I will check again! Thank You!

hah if Honda didn't know what parts of the US needs coated or not, they should be doing the opposite of what he suggested

I'd just call another dealer and ask because from the research I've done - Honda's coating is best.

There is no question that there are some fantastic pads available today, many with unique compounds. Carbotec comes to mind.

I've been looking for something with more bite than OEM but without extra dust or noise.

The carbotech 1521's seem to fit the bill. Might give them a try if the quote doesn't come back too high.

hah if Honda didn't know what parts of the US needs coated or not, they should be doing the opposite of what he suggested

I'd just call another dealer and ask because from the research I've done - Honda's coating is best.
Oh wow! Thanks Michael, I did not know that! There are so many people who have a love hate relationship with OEM Honda pads and rotor's it really does get confusing!:eek: I know that Akebono makes the Honda pads, I spoke directly with someone who works in their R&D. I also know that WorldPac makes the rotors for Akebono, because I called them directly. Nissin also makes pads for Honda.
I did call another dealership and they gave me the part number and that parts guy said they were coated with zinc and aluminum Z360.
They are alot of money compared to aftermarket of course. But I would pay the extra. I don't like that aftermarket descriptions are
"OEM like performance". When I 1st asked this questions the very first gentlemen that answered said OEM!

I just have to narrow it down now and stop overthinking and analyzing this. I just want it done before winter. Really within the next 2 weeks because despite the weather being warm here now I think we will have a big change at Thanksgiving.

I've been looking for something with more bite than OEM but without extra dust or noise.

The carbotech 1521's seem to fit the bill. Might give them a try if the quote doesn't come back too high.
I will look them up. The dealership will put on whatever I want.

Someone one mentioned that the EBC greens and their rotor's are made for light SUV's and trucks, that certainly is appealing.
Honda forum folks are for and against them stating they were too soft and did not last. Who knows. I am not debating only researching and wanting to come up with the best solution.

Oh wow! Thanks Michael, I did not know that! There are so many people who have a love hate relationship with OEM Honda pads and rotor's it really does get confusing!:eek: I know that Akebono makes the Honda pads, I spoke directly with someone who works in their R&D. I also know that WorldPac makes the rotors for Akebono, because I called them directly. Nissin also makes pads for Honda.
I did call another dealership and they gave me the part number and that parts guy said they were coated with zinc and aluminum Z360.
They are alot of money compared to aftermarket of course. But I would pay the extra. I don't like that aftermarket descriptions are
"OEM like performance". When I 1st asked this questions the very first gentlemen that answered said OEM!

I just have to narrow it down now and stop overthinking and analyzing this. I just want it done before winter. Really within the next 2 weeks because despite the weather being warm here now I think we will have a big change at Thanksgiving.
Family has a 2018 Odyssey from East Coast. It had OE brakes and it lasted 70k+. The rotors were crusty on the vanes and it had minor vibration from the rears. Brakes had about 20% left. I changed them with OE brakes again.

Family has a 2018 Odyssey from East Coast. It had OE brakes and it lasted 70k+. The rotors were crusty on the vanes and it had minor vibration from the rears. Brakes had about 20% left. I changed them with OE brakes again.
Thanks for your response! Wow 70K+! Okay another point for team OEM;)
I don't know why the one parts rep would say they were not coated...

Thanks for your response! Wow 70K+! Okay another point for team OEM;)
I don't know why the one parts rep would say they were not coated...

Most dealer parts reps, especially the ones who deal with regular customers, are not very knowledgeable at all (as opposed to the wholesale guys who deal with other shops/techs).

I agree it gets confusing.

This video helped clear up some misconceptions for me:

Results showed OEM is always a great choice.

Thanks so much Michael,...awesome video! Especially the salt spray test. Yes it really did help to clear things up. It almost makes my want to buy the NRS pads LOL...I have read about them especially with their mechanically fixed backing plate and galvanized plating as well. Since we are both in cold salt country areas in the winter they do look appealing.

Most dealer parts reps, especially the ones who deal with regular customers, are not very knowledgeable at all (as opposed to the wholesale guys who deal with other shops/techs).
That's good to know t1. Michael stated above they were coated. I am just shocked that a parts rep who deals with this all day long everyday does not know their product.

As others have said, I've used nothing but Honda pads on my 07 odyssey and usually get 65k 'ish, maybe a little more on the rears and they don't tear up the rotors. I've turned rotors every time and still has factory on it at 258k now. For the money I feel like they are the best option, longevity, smooth, fairly dust free etc. so I've never tried anything else on it.

Try Brembo pads and rotors. www.brembostoreusa.com/shop/ Brembo make some of the best brakes in the world.

I put a set of Brembo NAO (red backing) Ceramic pads on the front of my E350. While I'm happy with their stopping power, how quiet they are, I an not happy with how dirty they are. They are the dirtiest ceramic pads I have ever used, being every bit as dirty as semi-metallic pads.

After reading a few really positive reviews here on BITOG of the Powerstop Z23 Evolution pads, I've decided to replace the Brembo with these. In fact, I also ordered a set of the Z23 pads for my wife's Outback, which are due for new pads. The Outback currently has Akebono Pro Act ceramic pads. They have performed very well, but I want to try a different set.

The Z23 pads are supposed be delivered Monday. I'm anxious to see if they are as quiet, dust free, and have the stopping power that others have experienced.

As others have said, I've used nothing but Honda pads on my 07 odyssey and usually get 65k 'ish, maybe a little more on the rears and they don't tear up the rotors. I've turned rotors every time and still has factory on it at 258k now. For the money I feel like they are the best option, longevity, smooth, fairly dust free etc. so I've never tried anything else on it.
Nice mbaker! Thank you for that information…another positive for the OEM team :)

I put a set of Brembo NAO (red backing) Ceramic pads on the front of my E350. While I'm happy with their stopping power, how quiet they are, I an not happy with how dirty they are. They are the dirtiest ceramic pads I have ever used, being every bit as dirty as semi-metallic pads.

After reading a few really positive reviews here on BITOG of the Powerstop Z23 Evolution pads, I've decided to replace the Brembo with these. In fact, I also ordered a set of the Z23 pads for my wife's Outback, which are due for new pads. The Outback currently has Akebono Pro Act ceramic pads. They have performed very well, but I want to try a different set.

The Z23 pads are supposed be delivered Monday. I'm anxious to see if they are as quiet, dust free, and have the stopping power that others have experienced.
Great to know, love the real world experience. i Have heard good things about them as well.

did you change them with OE rotor's also I assume? Did you notice the coating on the rotor's?

Back