OEM pads and rotors vs Akebono legit question

The hats and vanes were painted black only.
Do you think the painted rotor OEM Honda was unique to the Odyssey rotor? Because the Honda part numbers for the rotor's don't come
up in a search as being black...just wondering

Do you think the painted rotor OEM Honda was unique to the Odyssey rotor? Because the Honda part numbers for the rotor's don't come
up in a search as being black...just wondering
You can call and ask about the Pilot's. I bought the brakes and rotors from the dealer.

You can call and ask about the Pilot's. I bought the brakes and rotors from the dealer.
Great!. I am going to go to the dealership that told me they were coated in zinc, and have them show me them. The dealership I always go to
told me they were not coated, not even the hat part, because all the new cars in the lot the rotor's are rusted.
Now another guy told me who works for Akebono, that they are coated from the factory so that they don't rust with transportation on the trains etc and for sitting in the lots. It is all interesting to me.

because all the new cars in the lot the rotor's are rusted.

the cars on the lot aren't driven so they might have surface rust.

this surface rust would be on the area where the pads touch and not the hat part though..

here's a post from another forum which explains it well:
"Surface rust is completely normal on the rotor braking surface. You can spray a tiny amount of water and watch any metallic rotors begin to rust within 15min. I would guess it's because any rust preventive coating would either wear off over time or tamper with braking performance. The surface rust will wear off as you brake with no real negative effects."

the cars on the lot aren't driven so they might have surface rust.

this surface rust would be on the area where the pads touch and not the hat part though..

here's a post from another forum which explains it well:
"Surface rust is completely normal on the rotor braking surface. You can spray a tiny amount of water and watch any metallic rotors begin to rust within 15min. I would guess it's because any rust preventive coating would either wear off over time or tamper with braking performance. The surface rust will wear off as you brake with no real negative effects."
Thanks Michael! That makes sense.

I would imagine the Pilot's would be the same as the Odyssey...

I talk to Akebono, yesterday...they make the pads for Honda's.

I think @Luftmasse was trying to say the Odyssey's rotors might not be coated like the Pilot's since they have different part numbers.

What I would do is call the part departments at different dealers in your area. Maybe ask to speak to the parts dept manager since they're more knowledgeable.

I think @Luftmasse was trying to say the Odyssey's rotors might not be coated like the Pilot's since they have different part numbers.

What I would do is call the part departments at different dealers in your area. Maybe ask to speak to the parts dept manager since they're more knowledgeable.
Great idea I will do that thank you!

Okay everyone, I did some detective work today and this is what I found out.....drum roll LOL
I called Honda, they told me to call WorldPac because WorldPac makes their rotor's. I called WorldPac and had a great conversation with a gentleman who stated they are Akebono rotor's and they are the OES "original equipment supplier" to Honda. He gave to me the exact parts number for my Honda Pilot .
I called this one particular dealership who had all 4 rotor's in stock (mine did not) and I asked the parts guy to show me the rotor's. He was great and opened them up and indeed they are zinc coated all the way around and inside where the slots are as well (the fins? not sure if that is the proper term? So I bought the rotor's the are OEM/Akebono.
I then had him show me the OEM brake pads. The rear pads are stamped AK#,..so they are Akebono. But the front pads were marked Advics.
Since I never heard of those I did not buy them. So now I have to find front pads. I did not feel comfortable putting a different named brand on the front, which is the most important part for stopping.
So if anyone wants OEM Honda rotor's yes they are coated with zinc and the part number's are
Front 45251-STX-H01 Rear 42510-TK-A01 this was for my Honda Pilot 2015 Touring.
I hope this information helps someone...thanks everyone for your help.

Okay everyone, I did some detective work today and this is what I found out.....drum roll LOL
I called Honda, they told me to call WorldPac because WorldPac makes their rotor's. I called WorldPac and had a great conversation with a gentleman who stated they are Akebono rotor's and they are the OES "original equipment supplier" to Honda. He gave to me the exact parts number for my Honda Pilot .
I called this one particular dealership who had all 4 rotor's in stock (mine did not) and I asked the parts guy to show me the rotor's. He was great and opened them up and indeed they are zinc coated all the way around and inside where the slots are as well (the fins? not sure if that is the proper term? So I bought the rotor's the are OEM/Akebono.
I then had him show me the OEM brake pads. The rear pads are stamped AK#,..so they are Akebono. But the front pads were marked Advics.
Since I never heard of those I did not buy them. So now I have to find front pads. I did not feel comfortable putting a different named brand on the front, which is the most important part for stopping.
So if anyone wants OEM Honda rotor's yes they are coated with zinc and the part number's are
Wow never had any issues with OEM Honda rotors or pads since 2004....I just order then online and put them on and it is over for another 60 to 70 thousand miles....easy peasy...

Wow never had any issues with OEM Honda rotors or pads since 2004....I just order then online and put them on and it is over for another 60 to 70 thousand miles....easy peasy...
Where do you order them from to guarantee they are OEM? Especially since I need to get front pads...
A couple of dealerships are low on supply...

Where do you order them from to guarantee they are OEM? Especially since I need to get front pads...
A couple of dealerships are low on supply...
College Hills Honda... Bernardi Honda Online Honda Parts.com....to name a few....The pads come complete with the shims and grease...Never ever had an issue with OEM Honda Brake parts...

College Hills Honda... Bernardi Honda Online Honda Parts.com....to name a few....The pads come complete with the shims and grease...Never ever had an issue with OEM Honda Brake parts...
Oh I agree that is what I am searching for front pads, but they in my area have changed suppliers. I will call those places tomorrow and see what brand name they have in stock. I have the rear brads from the dealership and they clearly are Akebono stamped and they have the grease and clips as well.
Thanks for the info!

Not sure why your dealer is buying parts from Worldpac. They are an aftermarket distributor.

There is a difference between Akebono aftermarket and Akebono from factory made for OE. It's totally different quality and price.

Not sure why your dealer is buying parts from Worldpac. They are an aftermarket distributor.

There is a difference between Akebono aftermarket and Akebono from factory made for OE. It's totally different quality and price.
Oh no my dealership is not buying parts from WorldPac, sorry for the poor explanation. I called Honda and asked them who made their rotor's and this is what they told me to call WorldPac as they are their supplier. World pack told me they were the Original Equipment Supplier for Honda, they make the Akebono rotor's. Akebono does not make rotor's anymore.

Oh I agree that is what I am searching for front pads, but they in my area have changed suppliers. I will call those places tomorrow and see what brand name they have in stock. I have the rear brads from the dealership and they clearly are Akebono stamped and they have the grease and clips as well.
Thanks for the info!
IMO... I think you are really over thinking this.... Have never had an issue with them...but that me...

IMO... I think you are really over thinking this.... Have never had an issue with them...but that me...
I am going to see if my dealership has them, they were low on parts. If they don't have front pads I will order them from the sources you provided (y)

I am going to see if my dealership has them, they were low on parts. If they don't have front pads I will order them from the sources you provided (y)
I would just get them install them and dont worry about it.... :)

Back