OCI & Maintenance Schedules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to all BITOG members!
smile.gif
I am a longtime lurker and finally decided to become a member to this great site! I hope to both learn and contribute to the knowledge here. I got bit by the oil research bug some time ago and have been leaning on the knowledge developed on this site to learn as much as I can. Thank you to all the members who make this site great!
smile.gif

I currently maintain an 07 Ford pickup (4 cyl gas) and an 07 Dodge car (4 cyl gas). Maintenance on the Ford is a severe service 3K OCI with conventional 5W-20, normal service 5K OCI with conventional 5W-20. Dodge car maintenance is severe service 3K OCI with conventional 5W-20, normal service 6K OCI with conventional 5W-20. Following the normal OCI, each vehicle would be driven enough to require about 2 oil changes a year.

I have been using full synthetic oil for a while now (paired with Wix or NAPA Gold filters), but still utilize the 5K-6K drain intervals because it's convenient to do the oil changes and the other routine maintenance suggested by the manufacturers at the same time. Typically, I bring the oil and other materials to the dealership/garage that is doing the work and I pay them the labor (tough to find the time to always do it myself).

I have a good-sized stockpile of G-OIL Bio-Full Synthetic 5W-20 and 0W-20 (some of it the Advanced formula) on hand that I'll be using for oil changes. I have seen some UOA numbers here that suggest that a 5K-6K OCI with those oils should not be a problem (and I've read here that 0W-20 and 5W-20 are close enough to substitute for each other).

I guess my question is: Should I stick to the manufacturer's normal OCI mileage and maintenance intervals with synthetic oils? Or should I work out a new maintenance schedule around full synthetic OCIs? For example, Ford recommends a new air filter every 30K miles under normal service... should I be putting together a maintenance schedule other than what the manufacturer recommends given that I'm using synthetics, and if so, what is a reasonable maintenance schedule to follow?
confused.gif
I'd like to get the benefits of full synthetic oils, but I also don't need to push them to their absolute limits either.

Thanks in advance!
smile.gif

I would keep on doing what you are doing. Sure you could go farther. But if doing two at once is a real convenience,keep right on doing it. Your time is worth something. Its just one less thing to remember.

Originally Posted By: jimbrewer
I would keep on doing what you are doing. Sure you could go farther. But if doing two at once is a real convenience,keep right on doing it. Your time is worth something. Its just one less thing to remember.

Very true- you make a valid point. Following the maintenance guides is easy to remember and makes for one less thing I need to think about. I'll stick with synthetic oils for the benefits they offer, but keep the 5K/6K OCI along with the other routine maintenance items as the mileage warrants.

Would it still be worth it to get a UOA done at the end of a 5K/6K interval of G-OIL? I can get a UOA with TBN done for about $18 using my Amsoil Preferred Customer discount.

Originally Posted By: JimCT
Would it still be worth it to get a UOA done at the end of a 5K/6K interval of G-OIL? I can get a UOA with TBN done for about $18 using my Amsoil Preferred Customer discount.

Nah. You are nowhere near close to using up that oil. Save the $18 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back