OCI for "sludge" engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK - I've been totally into extended OCI's - but now I am concerned - as apparently I own 3 different engines that are known to sludge and die early: a dodge 2.7, 5.2, and 5.7 hemi. two of those motors are on Amsoil's sludge list and even Amsoil recommends a 3K OCI for these engines. browse a little on the web and you will see countless stories from people of these engines trashing - some even claim they used 3-5k OCI's - some with synthetic oil.

so.... I used to run 7-10k OCI's - but now with even Amsoil recommending 3k.... what do I do?

We see a lot of those engines.. they are prone to sludge.. I dont know what happened to Chrysler their 318 used to be bulletproof, not to mention the slant six those engines outlasted the car and sometimes the owner too just dont drive through a puddle or make a quick turn and everything will be ok

21.gif
Talk to mori about AutoRx?? He may offer it on the cheap.

I would use an HDEO such as Amsoil ACD 10W-30/SAE 30. And go 5K. It won't sludge at those intervals and it will protect quite well. Plus at $23 gallon, it won't break the bank.

yup - the 318 used to be bulletproof. I think amsoil lists 1991 thru run end as bad. from what I can tell they changed the oil pickup screen, tube, and location in the pan. the only real way to be comfortable is to drop the pan and look. regardless, they have lost alot of customers over this. anyway, do I continue to stretch OCI's or keep them in the 3-5 range?

My daughter had a 99 Lexus RX300(sludger). I changed her oil and used M1 10-30 with 10,000 mile OCIs till she sold it with 80,000 miles. Engine ran very quite with no oil consumption between changes.

re: Chrysler 2.7 motor: I've got one in a Sebring Conv. and change oil at 3k max. A few other things to stay on top of are the PCV valve and the coolant outlet housing on top of the motor. This part usually fails which leads to loss of coolant and system pressure. You usually won't see water on the ground, as it collects on the flat top of the motor and dissipates with engine heat. I've gone through 3 of these in 45k miles!
Good luck,
Bill.

Last edited:
I was never aware that the Magnum V8 was a sludger...I have a 5.9L so I assume it is same as 318??? That being the case, I will let you know I have always used M1 every 3-4k and changed PCV once per year and used Rislone in the motor several times since I got the Jeep used in 2001. I have not had any issues thankfully.

5.9l is the 360 cubic inch motor.

I don't think its a sludger. We have them in a few trucks and they are fine with 150k+ on them.

7-9k OCI with Jiffy Lube Pennzoil or QS.

Still doing fine.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back