OCI for short tripped 2006 Matrix

Status
Not open for further replies.
My GF and I live only about 6 miles from her office downtown. She drives her 2006 Matrix XR AWD (1zz-fe)with 119k miles, 6 miles each way on surface roads never going over about 40 mph mostly in stop and go traffic 5 days a week. The only other trips the car does is to run errands which are only about 1-2 mile trips and the engine may not even be fully at temp by the end of the trip. The car never sees highway driving.

Currently running Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage but only because it was free.

What do you recommend for an OCI and oil/filter for this car? Probably something shorter than if it was actually driven in mixed situations and highway? I would like to keep it on a 5w30 year round and will use the same oil in my MR2 to keep things easy. (My MR2 does 30 miles a day mixed 60/40 highway/surface roads

Last edited:
Every 3-4 months, conventional oil. Change filter every other change.

If you time it right with your seasons, you'll not be outside in a Colorado winter changing the oil.

Originally Posted By: javacontour

If you time it right with your seasons, you'll not be outside in a Colorado winter changing the oil.

I'd like to keep it on synthetic if I can. also, 4 months would only be like 1500 miles or so. That seems short. What about every 6 months or so? Or is short tripping really that hard on the oil?

5,000 miles or six months your choice synthetic or conventional. Mobil Super 5000 conventional is the equivalent of Toyota 5W-30 motor oil from I have researched in the past.

That Pennzoil Platinum should be good oil, and should be able to do 5,000 mile or six months oil change intervals. Pennzoil has rebates again this year, so you can end up with a $10 discount per five quart jug after rebate.

Check your local Toyota dealer for discounts on oil filters. I can buy oil filters at the dealer $8.99 for one or $5.99 for two. I just bought two Toyota filters yesterday for my Lexus oil change that's coming soon.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
5,000 miles or six months your choice synthetic or conventional. Mobil Super 5000 conventional is the equivalent of Toyota 5W-30 motor oil from I have researched in the past.

That Pennzoil Platinum should be good oil, and should be able to do 5,000 mile or six months oil change intervals. Pennzoil has rebates again this year, so you can end up with a $10 discount per five quart jug after rebate.

Check your local Toyota dealer for discounts on oil filters. I can buy oil filters at the dealer $8.99 for one or $5.99 for two. I just bought two Toyota filters yesterday for my Lexus oil change that's coming soon.

Might have to pick up some filters in that case. Both the Matrix and my MR2 use the same filter. I actually have two $25 off one 5 quart jug of any mobil1 synthetic coupons so I will probably snag 2 jugs of high mileage 5w-30 and do both cars.

Originally Posted By: TinyVoices
Originally Posted By: javacontour

I'd like to keep it on synthetic if I can. also, 4 months would only be like 1500 miles or so. That seems short. What about every 6 months or so? Or is short tripping really that hard on the oil?

Short tripping is really hard on the oil.

If you had said you were getting some highway trips where the car gets up to temp, I'd say 6 months. But your usage pattern, I'd go with a frequently changed conventional to replenish the add-pack to combat the effects of short tripping.

Originally Posted By: bioburner
Fuel dilution can be the issue with short tripping in cold weather

+1

Consider going thicker by one grade as long as the owners manual allows it. A xw-40 weight would do you good, and probably end up as a xw-30 weight a few hundred miles in.

When I walked in the Toyota parts department yesterday, they have a sale sign up for oil and filters. I told them that sign was up the last time I was in here about a year ago. They said they keep the oil and filters on sale all year. Not buying oil there that's for sure.

Locally, I can buy the Toyota filters, or go to Walmart, and buy an over priced Fram cartridge filter made in China. Don't understand why the Fram cartridge filters are so high compared to a spin on can that obviously requires more materials to make, and the spin on Fram cans I buy are made in the USA.

Fram ultras. They are much better than Toyota filters and you can get them cheaper if you are willing to buy a case of 6. Here's a listing for 6 ultras for $26.95, $4.49 per filter.

Fram does not have Ultra cartridge equivalent for Toyota 04152-YZZA3, 04152-YZZA2, or 04152-YZZA5, and those cartridges are the same size. If they do, Fram does not list it on their online catalog that I can find. All Fram lists for those Toyota filters is Extra Guard oil filters that are over priced in my opinion.

Fram does not have Ultra cartridge equivalent for Toyota 04152-YZZA3, 04152-YZZA2, or 04152-YZZA5, and those cartridges are the same size. If they do, Fram does not list it on their online catalog that I can find. All Fram lists for those Toyota filters is Extra Guard oil filters that are over priced in my opinion.

Both the GF's matrix and my MR2 use a spin on XG4967, NOT a cartridge.

In that case, then an Ultra would be a good choice then as long as the price is reasonable, and some people are using them for more than one OCI, so that could save you some money over the long haul.

I buy my Toyota filters online. OEM only. $4 each in lots of 10, with careful shopping. Amazon and Ebay. Last box came with crush washers at that price.

Don't understand why the Fram cartridge filters are so high compared to a spin on can that obviously requires more materials to make, and the spin on Fram cans I buy are made in the USA.

Because they outsourced the low volume parts. They don't sell enough of them to make them but still want to provide customers with an option.

I'd run MaxLife Blend in the Matrix and change it every 5k, regardless of time - filter every other time if motor not sludged. On the MR2 I'd stick w the Synpower you're running and make the OCI 10k - if motor is clean, you can double stint that filter too. Keep both topped off. Single oil for everything is not critical, two oils is easy enough if there's a Walmart around. Just buy a jug of SuperTech dino for topoffs on both, or an extra jug of MaxLife if you're picky.

Short trips can be very hard on oil. I'd change it twice a year, or spend the money for a UOA at 6 months and base your OCI on that.

I'd be more concerned about the trans and awd system. Just making sure those had fresh fluids in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back