observations of rural auto parts stores and oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to the Sno Drift rally this weekend in the northern lower peninsula of Michigan and in the process got a chance to visit several auto parts stores. What I found refreshing about going up there is that almost every small town had a an auto parts store that was an independently owned affair with none of the big corporate names to be found.

It seems, by a wide margin, that the biggest affiliation these stores have is with the Auto Value brand. Napa and CarQuest were visible but not anywhere near the same degree. Many of these stores are also catering to the off-road and powersports markets so many of these tiny stores had a very impressive array of lubricants available.

What I noticed about the lubricants was that the mix of brands were quite different to what you would see in an Autozone or Advance. The Parts Master house brand was in full force (bottled by Ashland) as well as Wolf's Head, Kendall, SuperS, and a surprisingly huge selection of Amsoil (I visited a store in Roscommon that almost every Amsoil product including some of the Euro stuff for VWs and such)

It seemed that big names like Quaker State and Pennzoil and Castrol were also-rans with nowhere near the same coverage. I noted that the Wolf's Head was considered to be a step up from the house brands but could still be had for under $3 a quart and the PartsMaster (same as Napa Proselect) filters were reasonably priced as well as the higher priced Wix filters. I am sure that most of the clientele who are buying from these stores are rocking various age American pickups and virtually all the cars that you see on the road up there are American by virtue of the import dealers in some cases being hours away. So, other than a few exceptions, something like the Wolf's Head or PartsMaster oil would be appropriate for like 98% of the vehicles on the road and stuff like Amsoil would take on the balance. I wonder if there is some kind of pricing advantage for these stores because I saw very little full synthetic oil from other brands other than some Mobil 1.

I don't know if there's any real new in this post, but I found it interesting to see how people live and shop when they are not in the shadows of the big city.

Auto Value is probably a "Brand generic" like "Shur Fine" food appears in independent groceries around here.

Economies of scale in distribution probably explain Parts Master's owning of the region.

Around here its NAPA/Carquest that dominates the small town auto stores. The only auto value stores around here are Arnolds Motor Supplies

Auto Value is the combination of the old All Pro/Bumper to Bumper brands.Bond Auto in New England is Auto Value affiliated.

NAPA is the local store around my area. Seems the franchise owns two or three NAPA stores. One is even open 1/2 day Sunday.

I seldom go to AZ or AAP. Its usually RockAuto, Amazon, online Chrysler dealer, and then sometimes the repair shop gets parts when they are doing the work.

There's an Auto Value store about a half hour away from me. They stay in business by delivering parts to most of the local indy repair stations. I do know the popular numbers of their house branded oil filters can be had for well under $2 a filter.

Looking at their website, it looks to me like alot of their parts are the same or similar to Napa's parts. I don't think there's anything inherently inferior about them. I was just more surprised at the prevalence of the Amsoil and the other lesser brands.

Do you think Amsoil is there being purchased at wholesale through Auto Value by the store owner?

Or is the store owner part of the Amsoil distribution network?

Originally Posted By: Ben Boyle
Looking at their website, it looks to me like alot of their parts are the same or similar to Napa's parts. I don't think there's anything inherently inferior about them. I was just more surprised at the prevalence of the Amsoil and the other lesser brands.

Amsoil is headquartered near there - Superior, WI.

I have no idea, but they apparently thought it was a big deal because almost all of them had a sign proclaiming they sold Amsoil.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Seems the franchise owns two or three NAPA stores. One is even open 1/2 day Sunday
you make that sound like its rare! Every store here is open 7 days a week. Only napa opens 2 hr later on sunday @9a.

Originally Posted By: user52165

Amsoil is headquartered near there - Superior, WI.

Sounds like Amsoil might have a more conventional oil marketing plan with retailers in the area.

Originally Posted By: volk06
Around here its NAPA/Carquest that dominates the small town auto stores.

Same here. O'Reilly's is starting to enter some of the smaller markets though (e.g., Holdrege, NE - pop. ~5,500 and ~York, NE - pop. 8,000).

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Sounds like Amsoil might have a more conventional oil marketing plan with retailers in the area.

Perhaps it's similar to up here. For some reason, Amsoil has a bit of a cult following in rural areas.

I believe that Amsoil allows its products to be sold in retail stores if the total amount of locations is under a certain number (10 I believe). Our local Auto Value used to sell Amsoil in all of the stores owned by the same individual, but stopped when sales didn't meet expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back